Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door handle removal...
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Door handle removal... Reply with quote

Sorry about this one, but I don't want to break anything, and can't find the info.
Want to remove the interior handles to remove my door panels without breaking the handle.
Best way?
Thanks!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Push door panel inward, slip punch in between door handle and door handle ring, punch out pin.

Sometimes it's hard to do it all yourself without a helper to push on the panel, especially without scratching the ring.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo from Clara, this is installing but same idea
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=229537
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Everett!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I did a bit of searching, and have not found a clear answer so I figured I would just continue this thread.

I cannot, through any method, get the inner front door handles off of my 57 Kombi. When I push in on the escutcheon, it only travels about half (or less) of the distance needed to remove the pin. I have removed these before, so I know how it's supposed to work, but these won't budge.

I have tried several methods, I have sprayed some penetrant in there, I have lit candles and spoken in tongues. Nothing will budge them.

My next step, unless someone has a magic bullet for me, is to cut/crack/grind off the escutcheon. I have replacements, and they are not that hard to find or expensive. I also do not want to wreck the door panels. They are not perfect, but they are original.

What say you? Any help is much appreciated.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the pin be askew such that it's preventing the ring from sliding in? Does the panel push in enough to see what up?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is as far as they will go. In the second pic you can just see the edge of the pin. Both door handles act the same way. If I push any harder I am just bending the inner door structure.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it binding up the same all around the handle?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I have tried pushing it on all sides and at angles, and it will not budge. I almost seems like there is something stopping it from behind the door panel, but I can see down in there and all that is visible is the spring.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just the pic but it almost looks like there's a collar inside the esc. in the second pic.

I wonder if the spring came through the panel is is wedges bewteen the esc and the panel itself.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westfaliaftw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Yes. I have tried pushing it on all sides and at angles, and it will not budge. I almost seems like there is something stopping it from behind the door panel, but I can see down in there and all that is visible is the spring.

Was there a solution to this baffling problem? I am in the exact same boat with my 56. Panel won’t move in any further to expose the full roll pin. My door panels and handle are in great original shape so I do not want to damage them at all. Thanks in advance!
1961 standard micro bus - mango green/dove grey
1971 campmobile - pastel white
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westfaliaftw wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Was there a solution to this baffling problem? I am in the exact same boat with my 56. Panel won’t move in any further to expose the full roll pin. My door panels and handle are in great original shape so I do not want to damage them at all. Thanks in advance!

I do not own that bus any longer, but I had always just planned to cut through the escutcheon plate to expose the innards. I had plenty of spares on hand at the time.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Door handle removal... Reply with quote

FWIW, VW tapped the pin down when installing, and it tends to be easier to remove it by tapping up.

I have found that sliding a screwdriver between escutcheon and handle helps.
Some times, the escutcheons have a groove where the pins was installed., removed before. if so, rotate it to take advantage to the extra mm of clearance.
A couple times the escutcheon cracked and broke when it was very tight. At least now there are repros.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: