Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sportage tire carriers
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: sportage tire carriers Reply with quote

so i got my wheels turning in my head about bumper and tire carriers for my syncro, front and rear 2" receiver to carry dirt bike trays.

i am looking for a picture of a KIA sportage swing out tire carrier (and hi lift jack mount) installed on a syncro, where does the tire land (middle, off to the side--etc) so i can tell if i will have clearance problems with a dirt bike handle bars. I'm thinking instead of mounting it to the weak sheet metal to make an "upright" from the bumper for it to hinge on.

so--anyone got a pic?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kd4yor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/search.php?searchid=5351989

look here also
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt see anything there
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kd4yor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mblotz wrote:
didnt see anything there

it didn't save my search terms Sad

go here and look/search
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain Westy has a really nice rear bumper/tire carrier. It comes with a 2" receiver and the tire is centered I believe.
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up one of these today at the junkyard (Kia tire carrier) and was also looking for pics or tips on adapting it. I've read this can fit with a little work so anyone have more info? A quick test once I got home looked like the lower body mount would need some major cutting, the upper not so much.
Also saw a Honda Passport rear carrier that looked like it might work. Anyone tried those?
I know about the Pathfinder model but I really want it to swing out on the drivers side.
Thanks
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FNGRUVN wrote:
Rocky Mountain Westy has a really nice rear bumper/tire carrier. It comes with a 2" receiver and the tire is centered I believe.

The idea here is cheap, most likely used with minimal rust from a salvage yard. Not for the high end, fat wallet, syncro crowd Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

??? Who needs a spare tire carrier other than us " high end, fat wallet, syncro crowd"?. Are you seriously considering putting one on a 2wd? Laughing
I had a parthfinder tire carrier and decided that it wasn't worth all the mods needed to make it work the way I wanted it to. I have a welder and the time/skills but it still looked like it would be too much work to shorten it and mod the mounting position to be above the taillight and not too high in the rear window. The pathfinder tire carrier is a tank also and is hard to deal with even in the stock configuration on a pathfinder. I gave up looking for a sportage carrier and bought a proven design that works without problems because I have a fat wallet(not really)- Gary Lee spare tire carrier. Cool
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the link for the Pathfinder carrier discussion. I considered doing this, but I'd have to move everything around in my garage to account for the added length of the Vanagon with a rear carrier:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=343917&highlight=pathfinder

Hope that helps!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: sportage tire carriers Reply with quote

mblotz wrote:
so i got my wheels turning in my head about bumper and tire carriers for my syncro, front and rear 2" receiver to carry dirt bike trays.

i am looking for a picture of a KIA sportage swing out tire carrier (and hi lift jack mount) installed on a syncro, where does the tire land (middle, off to the side--etc) so i can tell if i will have clearance problems with a dirt bike handle bars. I'm thinking instead of mounting it to the weak sheet metal to make an "upright" from the bumper for it to hinge on.

so--anyone got a pic?

I do need to relocate my spare wheel. After reviewing all the fancy pants weekend warrior type options I am considering "donut" behind the driver's seat.

You may want thing about that'

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vispacem, donut is very bad news for the syncro crowd, there is a reaosn you should NEVEr buy an AWD car with mismatched tires.

I was at my local autoparts salvage today for something else, when i spy'd a row of sportages, so i brought home a complete tire carrier for the price of $35 even though i have kind of rethought the plan lately. for $35 at least i have it and will adapt it eventually---ill report back
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mblotz wrote:
Vispacem, donut is very bad news for the syncro crowd, there is a reaosn you should NEVEr buy an AWD car with mismatched tires.

I was at my local autoparts salvage today for something else, when i spy'd a row of sportages, so i brought home a complete tire carrier for the price of $35 even though i have kind of rethought the plan lately. for $35 at least i have it and will adapt it eventually---ill report back

Hello M.

Yes I do fully agree that AWD vehicles **should** have matched tyres and wheels front and back.

I would be very interested in your solution and thank you for the forthcoming details.

nb. I sold my Syncro time ago and now swing the ores on a 2WD Wolfie*

* Just for those interested, --not you M., as a note of no importance to me, Yessss Sirrrrrr, a genuine, authentic, blue blood oops I meant Blue Star Woooolsfburg not one of them plebeian would be Wolfie conversion mind you and it is most likely worth zillions of rupies and my mom would be soooo proud of her son.

ouaaaffff ouaaafff ouaaaffffff Embarassed

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
youremyboyblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: pictures? Reply with quote

again, does anyone have pics of this mod? i've searched and only one poster attempted to post pics but, they did so externally and the pics are no longer available.

if anyone has done this and could take a few pics/post to the samba and/or discuss the challenges faced when mounting one of these OR point me someplace, i'd appreciate it.

i had been holding off on my wheel upgrade because i don't have the budget for the spendy (very nice) gary lee model. now i've come to my senses and am trying to decide between the pathfinder and the sportage (don't much care for the bronco). however, i'm leaning toward the sportage as, it looks like it has the perfect spot for a fuel can holder in between the tire and the hinge and i'd prefer it to open on the drivers side.

Last edited by youremyboyblue on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go. I did the search for you. Look at these links:

http://tinyurl.com/y8qq6p5

Here's another tire carrier (scroll down):

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2444476&page=2
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't attempted this either and my Kia carrier is still sitting in the shop. Sad I also picked up a pathfinder and a passport tire carrier for options and ideas. I like the passport model but it's very heavy and would take a lot of work. Pathfinder is ok but I really want it on the drivers side and a little shorter in length. If anyone is interested in either of those PM me.

To the OP this might help: http://mtsoprisventures.shutterfly.com/pictures/72
I was hoping to refer to the pics/post you mentioned too since I recall more detailed pics of the brackets and latch. Maybe he's watching?... Wink

Slightly OT but I've been considering the gary lee ladder with spare tire option like this: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/ladder.htm
Cheaper than his swing out model, which is $weet, but this isn't permanent which is sort of cool too. Anyone out there have one of these?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderator note:
I cleaned this thread up.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still havent done this mod, kind of rethought my needs. I'm probably gonna stuff my 215/75/15 in the clam shell area just to keep weight distribution even (I plan on a 240lb Dirt bike rear and 160lb Dirt bike front). BUT, i plan on using my sportage carrier i already have still for a cargo type carrier, fuel can/cooler etc. my idea will be easily detachable/changeable for the needs of that particular trip (with dirt bike=fuel can, camping=cooler/cook surface)

I just need to find the time--anyone have any of that they can give me?
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about just a small trailer? That's a lot of weight to carry around on the van. A trailer might be better for two motorcycles, coolers, gas cans and such.
youremyboyblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To the OP this might help: http://mtsoprisventures.shutterfly.com/pictures/72

Danke Herr Motorspiele!

i'm pretty sure i found these as well but, would much prefer more pics and/or a write up. the more informed we all are, the better our projects come out. some additional concerns i'd like to get a handle on:
-internal backing support. were washers used or some molded brace?
-the latch and hatch brace
-whether or not the wheel is centered to the hatch
-how it stays open when open

what i don't understand is that whether a sportage carrier is used or a bronco/pathfinder/passport/<whatever>, why aren't most people simply mimicking gary lee's mounting? this seems to be pretty bomber with smaller unsightly holes in our dear vanagons. it ought not be too hard to create these mounting brackets for whatever application comes up. whereas, the only thing that would change is the placement of the lower anchor. i'm going to start barking up this tree ...

so herr motorspiele, what's your plan to mount? btw, i've considered the ladder as an option as well but, i've opted against as, for me, it would require heavy duty hatch struts too since, i like the idea of gas can carrier as well.
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was hoping to use those pics when I started too, oh well.

-I'd go with some thick flat stock backing plates instead of washers.
-I think he used some square stock to bring the latch farther out from the body, mounted to the left of the license plate.
-Can't remember if it was centered or stayed open.

Regarding Gary's design, I'm sure it's bomber and it probably took a lot of tweaking to get it that refined. If that's your approach make a template out of cardboard then cut it out of sheet metal.

I think the trick for the loaded ladder isn't stronger struts but those PVC prop tubes. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: