Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting Impounded-Need F.I. Help
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Getting Impounded-Need F.I. Help Reply with quote

Since it seems my thread is dying, and the F.I. thread is dead, a new post is needed, especially for the fact that if it is not moved by Friday at seven, it will be impounded.

I put in 5 liters of Chevron 91 octane in the tank, and have full fuel flow through the regulator. The pump connection is grounded so the pump runs continuously. The engine spins over, but nothing is happening. When I stomp the pedal, I get a thumping sound. I do have oil pressure now. I tried various firing positions, advancing as far as it would go, and have 12 volts to the coil.

Thank you for any help. Very Happy

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting Impounded-Need F.I. Help Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
Since it seems my thread is dying, and the F.I. thread is dead, a new post is needed, especially for the fact that if it is not moved by Friday at seven, it will be impounded.

Why would a forum moderator impound a thread?
Wink

Last edited by KTPhil on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set the timing with a test light to TDC. That will be close enough to start.
Do you know you have a spark at the plugs?
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting Impounded-Need F.I. Help Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Why would a forum moderator impound a thread?

I mean, my Squareback is going to be impounded tomorrow at seven if it is not moved. I do not want to have to deal with that, so I need help A.S.A.P.. Have no one to call for F.I., so a bit stuck.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kyle242gt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set timing to TDC or wherever you usually have it, then leave it alone.
Undo the changes to the fuel pump, plug everything in as original.

Fuel pump:
Turn the key on - does the relay click?
Does the fuel pump run for ~2sec?
Do you have fuel pressure at the rail?

Spark:
Do you have 12V to coil + while cranking?
Inspect spark at the plug wire - should be fat, blue, and loud.
Check your pointgap and condition.

Injectors:
Do the injectors fire the priming pulse?
Be sure the trigger point connector is in good condition.
Hook a test light between the coil + and the outer terminals of the trigger point connector while cranking (one at a time): you should see the test light blink blink blink while cranking.
1972 Type 3 Squareback - never did much to it
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle242gt wrote:
Set timing to TDC or wherever you usually have it, then leave it alone.
Undo the changes to the fuel pump, plug everything in as original.

Fuel pump:
Turn the key on - does the relay click?
Does the fuel pump run for ~2sec?
Do you have fuel pressure at the rail?

Spark:
Do you have 12V to coil + while cranking?
Inspect spark at the plug wire - should be fat, blue, and loud.
Check your pointgap and condition.

Injectors:
Do the injectors fire the priming pulse?
Be sure the trigger point connector is in good condition.
Hook a test light between the coil + and the outer terminals of the trigger point connector while cranking (one at a time): you should see the test light blink blink blink while cranking.

I should have been more clear, for some reason the stress is getting to me.

I posted earlier, and the suggestion was run the pump continuously, as my front relay has issues. It clicks every now and then, when the key is turned on.

As I am by myself, I cannot do as many tests. I did not change anything since the last time it ran. Point gap was just checked a couple miles before I parked it. So, it should run, but for some reason it is not, thus the qualm at hand.

Kyle, thank you for your help! Fuel pressure was good the last time I checked. Will do that. Everything else is/should be fine, as nothing has changed.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel pressure is at 32 pounds.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point gap could have slipped, they could have carbonized.....never assume its still the same. Its also why I no longer use points. Spend $5 and get a new condensor....just replace it...don't fiddle with it. Same goes for rotor and cap.. Check the points. Check for spark.

Check all of yoru grounds for injectors at the case centerline.
Check the CHT connection and resistance.

Hand advance the timing...even if its extreme. Just get it started.

Check the trigger points plug..and check with a volt meter to make sure they BOTH work....then check grounds again. Check to make sure you are getting 12 volts to the ECU from the relay. If not....wire it direct to run.

If all else fails...get a damn rope and a buddy and tow your car to someone elses yard or driveway. They can't tow it if it aint there. been there man! I feel for ya! Ray
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adriel I sent you a message on the list- just swap your car with one of the ones on the driveway. or even roll it onto your yard! who cares!? they can't impound it if its on private property and off the public street.

as to getting it started, my guess is its not the FI-- my guess is it's spark and timing. check the cap and make sure the firing order is right. go to vee and pick up a NEW condensor and set of points- stop dicking around with the old ones.

AND BUY A NEW RELAY. ive been saying it forever! just buy a new one.
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timing is set at T.D.C..

raygreenwood wrote:
The point gap could have slipped, they could have carbonized.....never assume its still the same. Its also why I no longer use points. Spend $5 and get a new condensor....just replace it...don't fiddle with it. Same goes for rotor and cap.. Check the points. Check for spark.

Check the trigger points plug..and check with a volt meter to make sure they BOTH work....then check grounds again. Check to make sure you are getting 12 volts to the ECU from the relay. If not....wire it direct to run.

If all else fails...get a damn rope and a buddy and tow your car to someone elses yard or driveway. They can't tow it if it aint there. been there man! I feel for ya! Ray

Good quality German condensers, caps, and rotors do not fail, according to Mr. Adney and Russ. Besides, they are brand new, and have had no time to fail. I did a full tune up before I parked the auto.

Checked point gap, and was a bit off; now at .16 inches. No driving to build up carbon, but checked, and they are fine.

I have checked all the connectors, that goes without saying.

What do you mean by 12 volts from the relay? Which wire? I have bypassed the relays, so not sure what you mean.

How do I check for spark and voltage at trigger points while in the driver's seat?

Ray, glad someone understands me. I need to get it running, or I might as well set it on fire. I have done nothing to cause the no start, just on its own it decides it will no longer run.

Will move it to the other side, but this evening when the body has cooled down. I have pushed it myself, and pushing it while hot makes it unbearable.

JSMskater wrote:
adriel I sent you a message on the list- just swap your car with one of the ones on the driveway. or even roll it onto your yard! who cares!? they can't impound it if its on private property and off the public street.

as to getting it started, my guess is its not the FI-- my guess is it's spark and timing. check the cap and make sure the firing order is right. go to vee and pick up a NEW condensor and set of points- stop dicking around with the old ones.

Joe, you seem to forget there is a fence, and the cars in the drive are immobile. There is no place for the Squareback, except across the street.

Freak man, you do not listen! Rolling Eyes First, I checked the new relay, and it will not fit. It is the only one available. I cannot get a new one, can I, if it does not exist? Second, since the relay is intermittent, it is supposed to be still good. Third, changing relays had no affect.

Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the firing order on the spark plug wires. If I remember, you had the tin off to retorque the heads, so you had the plug wires off.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
Check the firing order on the spark plug wires. If I remember, you had the tin off to retorque the heads, so you had the plug wires off.

Russ, thank you!

I tried several different arrangements, all with 1-4-3-2 clockwise. Had no affect.

JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
Timing is set at T.D.C..

raygreenwood wrote:

Good quality German condensers, caps, and rotors do not fail, according to Mr. Adney and Russ. Besides, they are brand new, and have had no time to fail. I did a full tune up before I parked the auto.

Checked point gap, and was a bit off; now at .16 inches. No driving to build up carbon, but checked, and they are fine.

What do you mean by 12 volts from the relay? Which wire? I have bypassed the relays, so not sure what you mean.

How do I check for spark and voltage at trigger points while in the driver's seat?

Ray, glad someone understands me. I need to get it running, or I might as well set it on fire. I have done nothing to cause the no start, just on its own it decides it will no longer run.

Will move it to the other side, but this evening when the body has cooled down. I have pushed it myself, and pushing it while hot makes it unbearable.

JSMskater wrote:

Joe, you seem to forget there is a fence, and the cars in the drive are immobile. There is no place for the Squareback, except across the street.

Freak man, you do not listen! Rolling Eyes First, I checked the new relay, and it will not fit. It is the only one available. I cannot get a new one, can I, if it does not exist? Second, since the relay is intermittent, it is supposed to be still good. Third, changing relays had no affect.

being german doesn't mean they don't fail. EVERYTHING fails, and no product is free of defects. it is ALWAYS possible that you have a failed or broken part, IRRESPECTIVE of where it came from. Saying that 40 year old parts never fail because they're german is living in fantasy land.

secondly, you cant just bypass the relays... the ECU needs 12v coming from the relay under the seat, which is wired up the relay under the dash, so if you've bypassed or disconnected either this car is gonna go nowhere fast.

An intermittent relay doesn't mean it works! It means it only works sometimes! Laughing

as for the new one- don't tell me they "don't exist" I've bought like 6 of them and they are readily available. they are small black plastic housed units and they screw right on to the factory positions. how does something that mounts with a single screw and retains all the OG connections not fit!? and if you didn't end up getting it, or finding it, then HOW ON EARTH DO YOU KNOW!? Finally, im not surprised if you changed relays between the three or however many old ones you have. they could all be bad! old parts go bad! if you had the instructions on how to test each one post by post, which you CAN do as Ktphil once posted the instructions on how to test that circuit with a vom, then I'd say verify which ones are good. But you have the city breathing down your neck and I'd say now is the time to STOP trying to save a buck and JUST DO IT. you can figure out later if the relays you have are good, and if they're not then TOSS THEM. theres no sense hanging onto 40 year old trash. it's not that I don't listen A- it's that I can't believe you have so much trouble finding things all the time- parts are not this scarce.

I recall a fence but I don't recall one on the left side, I was thinking you could push one from the drivway onto the grass and then the square onto the driveway. nothing is immobile with wheels Wink
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once it's impounded, when does it go up for auction?

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSMskater wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
Timing is set at T.D.C..

raygreenwood wrote:

JSMskater wrote:

being german doesn't mean they don't fail. EVERYTHING fails, and no product is free of defects. it is ALWAYS possible that you have a failed or broken part, IRRESPECTIVE of where it came from. Saying that 40 year old parts never fail because they're german is living in fantasy land.

secondly, you cant just bypass the relays... the ECU needs 12v coming from the relay under the seat, which is wired up the relay under the dash, so if you've bypassed or disconnected either this car is gonna go nowhere fast.

An intermittent relay doesn't mean it works! It means it only works sometimes! Laughing

as for the new one- don't tell me they "don't exist" I've bought like 6 of them and they are readily available. they are small black plastic housed units and they screw right on to the factory positions. how does something that mounts with a single screw and retains all the OG connections not fit!? and if you didn't end up getting it, or finding it, then HOW ON EARTH DO YOU KNOW!? Finally, im not surprised if you changed relays between the three or however many old ones you have. they could all be bad! old parts go bad! if you had the instructions on how to test each one post by post, which you CAN do as Ktphil once posted the instructions on how to test that circuit with a vom, then I'd say verify which ones are good. But you have the city breathing down your neck and I'd say now is the time to STOP trying to save a buck and JUST DO IT. you can figure out later if the relays you have are good, and if they're not then TOSS THEM. theres no sense hanging onto 40 year old trash. it's not that I don't listen A- it's that I can't believe you have so much trouble finding things all the time- parts are not this scarce.

I recall a fence but I don't recall one on the left side, I was thinking you could push one from the drivway onto the grass and then the square onto the driveway. nothing is immobile with wheels Wink

Tried pushing, but a bit too heavy with everything in it.

Hooked the two wires back, and the relays are working just fine! Very Happy So, decided to try and start it. The same.

Checked around, and found 10, almost 11 volts on the connectors of the left side of the engine compartment. Also the same voltage at the power to the coil. Apparently ten minutes of cranking drained the battery. Got the jumper box, and hooked that up. Then, cranked for five minutes solid, with my foot down, and the thumping got louder, so stopped.

I swapped spark plug wires again, and nothing.

Oh, and the condenser is new. Where can I get another this late at night?

Joe, seems like you want to fight, but to tired and busy now, will do in the morning.

Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple thoughts from left field...

The thumping-while-refusing-to-start sounds like what my '67 Beetle does when I try to turn it over with an old-style timing gun attached -- disconnect the gun, and it'll fire right up. So I wonder if something in the ignition system (like the coil) is weak, or there is a short that you haven't found yet.

Do you have any friends in the area who could help you? All they have to do is sit in the driver's seat and try to start the car while you check the spark. Buy them some beer if need be. Wink

- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009

Last edited by Towel Rail on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean 7:00 AM for towing I wouldn't go to bed before it's moved! You won't talk a tow truck driver out of making money!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have finished my dinner, I thought to give an update.

blankmange wrote:
once it's impounded, when does it go up for auction?

Laughing Dave, I am sorry to disappoint you, but it will not be impounded. Twisted Evil

Joe sparked an idea. At my house, there is a sidewalk easement, but no sidewalk. Next to the easement on the west side of the drive, there is a short fence. On the east a brick planter. The planter kept me from parking there, the Mercury is parked in such a manner that I could not move to Squareback behind it and on the driveway apron, as suggested by Joe. Once I got the Squareback part way on the apron behind the Bug, I realized there might just be enough space between the bug's bumper and the fence to squeeze it in there. I had to rock it back and forth a couple times to get it in there, plus finesse, as it had about an inch on each side. Realized it just was not going to fit, but had an idea. Waited until there was no traffic, bumped the bush, then gave the Squareback a good push and ran pushing it/steering it. Well, turned a nice arc, and looked like it was going to park nice... Except it got away, jumped the curb, just missed the light pole, and went into my neighbor's yard, which is just dirt thankfully, plus he just put in hills which stopped the car. Laughing A bit stunned, I had to figure a way to get it back over the sidewalk, and down the curb. Again, rocked it, and got it over the hump and onto the sidewalk. Another push, and got it off the sidewalk. Finessed it fairly parallel to the curb, moved the Ford, then rolled it down the decline a bit, getting it parallel. Tomorrow the sweeper will come, and I have overcome him!

Towel Rail wrote:
A couple thoughts from left field...

The thumping-while-refusing-to-start sounds like what my '67 Beetle does when I try to turn it over with an old-style timing gun attached -- disconnect the gun, and it'll fire right up. So I wonder if something in the ignition system (like the coil) is weak, or there is a short that you haven't found yet.

Do you have any friends in the area who could help you? All they have to do is sit in the driver's seat and try to start the car while you check the spark. Buy them some beer if need be. Wink

- Scott

Thank you Scott in left field! Laughing Very Happy

I had someone else say to check the coil. I had a friend offer help, so I will/can check the sparks. Trouble is, I have stuff to do early this week, so not sure when I can get back to it.

Power to the coil is on the right, correct?

Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
Power to the coil is on the right, correct?

It looks like we'll both learn something from this thread -- I had thought I was hooking up my timing gun to the correct lug on the coil, but I wasn't! Embarassed The coil gets its power on terminal #15, and you'll have to look close at the coil (a flashlight helps) to see which side it's on.

- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
Timing is set at T.D.C..

raygreenwood wrote:

JSMskater wrote:

We are NOT talking about your BREAKER POINTS THAT DELIVER SPARK.......we are talking about FUEL INJECTION TRIGGER POINTS.....they are in the bottom of the dizzy....there is no voltage or spark to check for with these.

You need to pull the three prong plug out of the dizzy.....get a voltmeter....set on continuity...you know...circuit connection...light blick, needle swing or beep when you make a circuit....put the black probe on the center pin...and the red one on either of the other two pins. Have someone turn the engine over.....
If the trigger point pair is working you will get a "blink, beep..etc.....every revolution. Now test the other side.
If either of these trigger points is not triggering...or triggering intermittantly....you will NOT get any injection at all.
You also should check resistance and resistance balance on these......but as long as they make connection you should run.
Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: