Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flasher compatability
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djminderman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Flasher compatability Reply with quote

I have a 68 Ghia Coupe that I rewired with a new harness. I converted it to the 70 flasher system, and installed a TRP 412.400 flasher unit. The emergency flashers work good; however the turn signals don't work unless I disconnect the dash light (the blue/green wire).

The TRP 412.400 has 49, 31, 49a and P terminals. The 49a and P terminals are shown as being parallel switched contacts. I connected the dash light (blue/green wire) to the P terminal since there was no KBL. Can the P terminal be used as a substitute for the KBL or must I do something different. It seems I am getting back feed through the dash light bulb since the other side of the dash light is connected to +12 volts. I'm usually pretty good with this stuff; but this one has me stumped.

Thanks,
Dave
Ghiaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the output of the flasher P terminal power or ground?

Karmann Ghia & Beetle parts available.
Convertible tops installed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djminderman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done some more research and this might help everyone that is trying to use the TRP 412.400 aftermarket flasher relay. The P terminal on the aftermarket flasher is switched to +12V and is not driven to ground. Since the flasher indicator light is connected to +12 volts at the speedometer, there is a backfeed into the flasher unit when the indicator light is connected to the P terminal, and the flasher will not work. However, the addition of a simple auto relay from Radio Shack (275-0226) makes everything right. This interposing relay converts the +12V "P" signal to a signal that is pulled to ground. The terminal connections are as follows (if I can't upload the wiring diagram).

For TRP 412.400 relay:
49 --- as per original wiring diagram (to "+" on Emerg. Flasher Switch)
31 --- as per orignal wiring diagram (to ground)
49a -- as per original wiring diagram (to Emerg. Switch & turn switch)
P --- to terminal 86 on Radio Shack relay

For Radio Shack 275--0226
86 --- from "P" terminal on flasher
30 --- to ground
85 --- to ground
87 --- to turn signal monitor light on speedometer

Everything is in unison and there are no backfeed issues. Hope this helps.

Dave
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Minor Threat Racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which emergency flasher switch is on your 68. Mine has a two prong with s and k. Unfortunatley painter went nuts and started rippinh everything out. Seeing if I can get your set up yo work with my flasher switch. Ive been using the 67-69 wiring diagram on Samba
ovghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: flASHER COMPATABILITY Reply with quote

did you use the diagram listed by KGPR in their tech section? I followed it and my flasher and turn signals work fine. the terminal in question gets piggy backed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: