Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California Year of Manufacture Plates
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
One guy paid $35 one guy paid $45. One guy said "no sticker" one guy said "sticker and metal tab". I want to get mine to replace my og stolen one but I thought I'd wait till all the rush died down. Sound's like any time is as good as the next.

have a brand new plate made for your westy Barry,you do not need "year of manufacture" for your bus/westy. unless you told them 1 plate was stolen and you now have white lipstick plates on it.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't do. The cops and DMV know so it's now a hot plate. I have an nos set I've been saving that are already clear.
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big wavos wrote:
Barry ,
You will need the following:
$45
2 identical original black plates
a sticker corresponding with the year of vehicle you are trying to register.
a YOM application.

you will receive a metal tab and a new year sticker + new registration back from DMV with your new plate # in about 30 days time.

hope this helps, there is no rush on these things, most dmv employees are pretty helpful.
Barry, it's $35 not $45, and no sticker req'd. 60-90 days to rec. new perm. reg. from sac. in the mail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Doubledoor Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
big wavos wrote:
Barry ,
$45
a YOM application.

you will receive a metal tab and a new year sticker + new registration back from DMV with your new plate # in about 30 days time.

hope this helps, there is no rush on these things, most dmv employees are pretty helpful.
Barry, it's $35 not $45, and no sticker req'd. 60-90 days to rec. new perm. reg. from sac. in the mail.

from the California DMV website.....

Model Year Date License Plates
5004.1. (a) (1) ( )1 An owner of a vehicle that is a 1969 or older model-year vehicle or the owner of a commercial vehicle or a pickup truck that is a 1972 or older model-year may, after the requirements for the registration of the vehicle are complied with and with the approval of the department, utilize license plates of this state with the date of year corresponding to the model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured, if the model-year date license plate is legible and serviceable, as determined by the department, in lieu of the license plates otherwise required by this code.(2) The department may consult with an organization of old car hobbyists in determining whether the date of year of the license plate corresponds to the model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured.

(b) A fee of forty-five dollars ($45) shall be charged for the application for the use of the special plates.

(c) In addition to the regular renewal fee for the vehicle for which the plates are authorized, the applicant for a renewal of the plates shall be charged an additional fee of ten dollars ($10). ( )2 If payment of a regular vehicle renewal fee is not required by this code, the holder of license plates with a date corresponding to the model-year may retain the plates upon payment of an annual fee of twenty dollars($20)( )3 that shall be due at the expiration of the registration year of the vehicle to which the plates were last assigned under this section.

(d) ( )4 If a person who is authorized to utilize the special license plates applies to the department for transfer of the plates to another vehicle, a transfer fee of twelve dollars ($12) shall be charged in addition to all other appropriate fees.

Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 497, Stats. 2007. Effective January 1, 2008. Operative July 1, 2009.
Amended Sec. 216, Ch. 179, Stats. 2008. Effective January 1, 2009.
The 2008 amendment added the italicized material, and at the point(s) indicated, deleted the following:

“Subject to paragraph (3), an”
“When”
“,”
“Whenever”
Doubledoor Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More from the DMV website....

Year of Manufacture license plates. This new law expands the “Year of Manufacture” license plate program to authorize the owner of a automobile, motorcycle or trailer that is a 1969 or older model year vehicle, or the owner of a commercial vehicle or pickup truck that is 1972 or older model year, to utilize Year of Manufacture license plates, and would increase the original application fee from $35 to $45. The $10 annual renewal fee, $20 plate retention fee, and $12 plate transfer fee remain the same.

The new law would require the inclusion of two active license plate series into the Year of Manufacture program:

Black background with yellow characters – issued 1963 - 1969;
Blue background with yellow characters – issued 1970 - 1990.
To qualify for use, plate configuration cannot have a current record on DMV files. The year sticker displayed on the plates must coincide with the year model of the vehicle being registered with the exception of 1963 year model vehicles.

Black and gold plates without a year sticker can be used for 1963 vehicles as no validating year stickers were issued in 1963. Plates for 1964 through 1972 must be presented with a sticker that matches the year model of the vehicle the plates will be used on. For example, a 1966 Chevy Nomad Wagon will require that a set of black and yellow plates with a 1966 sticker issued by DMV in that year be presented for use.
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racoon1 wrote:
More from the DMV website.....
...Blue background with yellow characters – issued 1970 - 1990....

Now that opens up a whole new can of worms! Smile
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
big wavos wrote:
Barry ,
$45
a YOM application.

Dave24, did you NOT need a sticker for your bus since it's a '63? No validating stickers were issued in 1963, right? And for those of us that have black and gold plates without a correct year sticker, where do we find the sticker?
'60 Single cab
'70 Bitchen 3-speed Schwinn
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

the most informative webpage is http://www.ply33.com/misc/yom
The form to download and fill in is:
http://dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg352.pdf

if you fill out the form first it should be quicker.
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racoon1 wrote:

Year of Manufacture license plates. This new law expands the “Year of Manufacture” license plate program to authorize the owner of a automobile, motorcycle or trailer that is a 1969 or older model year vehicle, or the owner of a commercial vehicle or pickup truck that is 1972 or older model year, to utilize Year of Manufacture license plates, and would increase the original application fee from $35 to $45. The $10 annual renewal fee, $20 plate retention fee, and $12 plate transfer fee remain the same.

The new law would require the inclusion of two active license plate series into the Year of Manufacture program:

To qualify for use, plate configuration cannot have a current record on DMV files. The year sticker displayed on the plates must coincide with the year model of the vehicle being registered with the exception of 1963 year model vehicles.

Black and gold plates without a year sticker can be used for 1963 vehicles as no validating year stickers were issued in 1963. Plates for 1964 through 1972 must be presented with a sticker that matches the year model of the vehicle the plates will be used on. For example, a 1966 Chevy Nomad Wagon will require that a set of black and yellow plates with a 1966 sticker issued by DMV in that year be presented for use.
So, that clears that up... my bus is a '63, hence no sticker. They charged me $35, so I guess I saved $10?.
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suebug wrote:
Dave24 wrote:
big wavos wrote:
Barry ,
$45
a YOM application.

Dave24, did you NOT need a sticker for your bus since it's a '63? No validating stickers were issued in 1963, right? And for those of us that have black and gold plates without a correct year sticker, where do we find the sticker?
Try Dennis Lefevre @ Dinks type II parts and YOM plates. Samba user name "Papa Dink". He can no doubt get you the sticker you (apparantly) need. PM me for a ph #.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can do the blue and yellow plates too?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ramble59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

No, but here's a trick you can do if you want bluse plates CA plates.

Find an old set that are DMV clear, create a personalized plate through the DMV with the same license number as the old and then put the original blus CA plate on. It works.
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racoon1 wrote:

Year of Manufacture license plates.

Apparantly so.
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramble59 wrote:
crofty wrote:

No, but here's a trick you can do if you want bluse plates CA plates.

Find an old set that are DMV clear, create a personalized plate through the DMV with the same license number as the old and then put the original blus CA plate on. It works.

It might have worked for someone, but one of the requirements for personalized plates is that the number not coincide with any regular series plate.

Now if you can find a set of _personalized_ blue-base plates you can get away with this since they won't be part of any series.
KombiMonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone have the link to the DMV site where you check to see if they are clear?...

*WANTED*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chick Iverson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KombiMonster wrote:
anyone have the link to the DMV site where you check to see if they are clear?...
I don't think that there is a site, but the phone number to call to find out is....1-800-777-0133
bushaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to do mine tomorrow, have an appt at DMV Fullerton. Have all my ducks in a row, hoping for the best. I even asked Dave24 which exact person and exact location did his YOM at as a backup plan in case I get the typical DMV know-nothing jackass!

If I get a good knowledgeable person, I will be sure to get their name for others to pursue!

Also, the phone # to check for clear plates: Don't use that 800 number, its a trainwreck due to the budget cuts. There is a Sac area code # for "special processing" which I can't find right now that works like a charm. Will post when I find it.

hitest wrote:
Even if completed, the abarth's gonna belch spluey all over your Eriba.
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me wonder if I want to bother doing this...guess it'd be easier if I already had some black/gold plates.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
VolksFire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
racoon1 wrote:

Year of Manufacture license plates.

Apparantly so.

Thats a mistake on the site. Somebody that does not understand the law , or misunderstood made a mistake. The new law does NOT include the blue plates, which are late 69-87 , not 70-90. When Bill AB462 was introduced to legislation, it was made clear that blue plates would not be included. And even the new YOM form at DMV tells you the addition to the YOM law and states that only plates 63-69 and commercial plates 63-72 are added. And the commercial plates for 70-72 may be black or blue. No other blue base plates may be used, except original personal blue plates of course.

and regarding the mentioned way to get personal plates then putting on the blue ones that have the same number.... thats an old trick which people have been doing with black plates before the new law was passed. It's also illegal.
63 Single Cab
67 SO42 Westfalia
73 Thing
76 Kombi
82 Westfalia Deluxe
82 Quantum Coupe
85 Quantum Sedan
85 Quantum Syncro Wagon
96 Golf GL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Box on Wheels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VolksFire wrote:
and regarding the mentioned way to get personal plates then putting on the blue ones that have the same number.... thats an old trick which people have been doing with black plates before the new law was passed. It's also illegal.

Nothing is illegal unless you get caught! Wink
67 Titian Red SO-42 Pop-Top walk-thru Westfalia
64 Safari Beige Sunroof Notchback
97 993 S Coupe
97 993 Cabriolet
04 996 C4S Coupe

God, guts, and guns made America great!
Live free or Die
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 36

Jump to: