Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California Year of Manufacture Plates
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorCalRiviera wrote:
Makes me wonder if I want to bother doing this...guess it'd be easier if I already had some black/gold plates.

Ya think?!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
NorCalRiviera wrote:
Makes me wonder if I want to bother doing this...guess it'd be easier if I already had some black/gold plates.

Ya think?!

LOL! I've been known to. Wink But I've seen how black/gold plate prices have shot up since the beginning of the month.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your local AAA can check to see if the plates you bought for the big $$ are in the system.

In my abortiuve attempt to do this at the AAA they at least checked my plates that I bought at Bug-0-Rama. They said that the DMV has to inspect your new black plates.

I have a scheduled DMV appointment today at 10 AM so wish me luck and I will report the results.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! Cool
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Box on Wheels wrote:
VolksFire wrote:
and regarding the mentioned way to get personal plates then putting on the blue ones that have the same number.... thats an old trick which people have been doing with black plates before the new law was passed. It's also illegal.

Nothing is illegal unless you get caught! Wink

I'd like someone to cite the CVC section where it actually states that using state-issued black- or blue-based plates whose numbers match the registration document is illegal. I've looked for it and I certainly can't find it.

Somebody might have heard it from a cop or from their friend, but that doesn't mean that it is true.

Last edited by GeorgeL on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramble59 wrote:
crofty wrote:
So you can do the blue and yellow plates too?

No, but here's a trick you can do if you want bluse plates CA plates.

Find an old set that are DMV clear, create a personalized plate through the DMV with the same license number as the old and then put the original blus CA plate on. It works.

They closed that loophole long ago. They won't issue a personalized plate in a state-issued series.
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Status update as promised.

I scheduled at 10:35 this morning and it took til 11:00 to get to a window. The whole process after that took almost an hour!

Cost is $45 and then registratiuon is normal, not the personalised cost I had beem told.

He inspected the plates and they were OK, He Xeroxed a plate to go to Sacrtamento. There they will issue me a new registration, and tags. It should arrive in about six weeks. He took away my white plates and gave me a pink temporary sticker for teh rear window.

All in all, very easy if time consuming.

YOM plates for Bug-o-rama in the fall!
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder why they only charged me $35? Confused
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:

Because that was the price before the new law took effect. You'll likely get a nice note from DMV saying that your registration will be held up until you pay the other $10.

If you make a mistake - you pay.
If the DMV makes a mistake - you pay.

The DMV always gets paid.

Last edited by GeorgeL on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:

The pre-63 YOM plates are also $35.
VolksFire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they used to be. all YOM plates are now $45
63 Single Cab
67 SO42 Westfalia
73 Thing
76 Kombi
82 Westfalia Deluxe
82 Quantum Coupe
85 Quantum Sedan
85 Quantum Syncro Wagon
96 Golf GL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VolksFire wrote:
they used to be. all YOM plates are now $45

They weren't last week (for me at least).
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didn't exactly hide the increase:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/newsrel/newsrel09/2009-30.htm
DMV wrote:
Year of Manufacture license plates. This new law expands the “Year of Manufacture” license plate program to authorize the owner of a automobile, motorcycle or trailer that is a 1969 or older model year vehicle, or the owner of a commercial vehicle or pickup truck that is 1972 or older model year, to utilize Year of Manufacture license plates, and would increase the original application fee from $35 to $45. The $10 annual renewal fee, $20 plate retention fee, and $12 plate transfer fee remain the same.

You might get away with it at the desk, but Deep Thought in Sacramento will likely catch up with you.
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked and I paid my fee for the '57 at the end of June so that's probably why it was only $35.
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid my $35 on 7/2... the amount they said was due and that they collected. I guess I can look forward to a supp. bill for $10, sometime in the near future... or not (hopefully).
Doubledoor Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_w wrote:
Status update as promised.

I scheduled at 10:35 this morning and it took til 11:00 to get to a window. The whole process after that took almost an hour!

Cost is $45 and then registratiuon is normal, not the personalised cost I had beem told.

He inspected the plates and they were OK, He Xeroxed a plate to go to Sacrtamento. There they will issue me a new registration, and tags. It should arrive in about six weeks. He took away my white plates and gave me a pink temporary sticker for teh rear window.

All in all, very easy if time consuming.

YOM plates for Bug-o-rama in the fall!

Did you have to have the year sticker on your black plates?
Scotts 63 23
Samba Member

Location: Somewhere in my mind... The Real er Laguna Beach :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went through the process on July 3rd at the Capistrano Beach DMV. They made a xerox of one of the two plates, filled out some paperwork, and charged $45. Told me to keep my personalized plates since I paid for them. 90 day temporary registration issued and told it should take 30 days. Didn't need sticker since my bus is a '63.

Pretty easy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott's '63 23 wrote:
Went through the process on July 3rd at the Capistrano Beach DMV. They made a xerox of one of the two plates, filled out some paperwork, and charged $45. Told me to keep my personalized plates since I paid for them. 90 day temporary registration issued and told it should take 30 days. Didn't need sticker since my bus is a '63.

Pretty easy.
X2. for everything, dmv location, EVERTHING, except $35 not $45?... Weird. Oh, and as far as keeping your PP's, well, they told me that a year ago... and then tried to back chg. me for them. Cancel your interest (claimed) in those in writing (form) post-haste.
bushaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY! 67 plates on the 67!

Had my appt at the Fullerton DMV today at 3:30. Took 1/2 hr to get to a window. Got a guy who was like 19 to help me. First thing he asked me was "have these plates been restored?". I told him no (they're not in perfect condition and even have some small rust on 'em! ). I had plates that start with U as that was the sequence for '67, and I was lucky enough to peel down to a mint 67 sticker as well (all told the plates cost me $50 from someone here on TheSamba). I gave him my reg, and he typed away for seriously 25 mins. He never did measure, magnet test, or xerox the plates. He took 1 of my previous personalized plates as I only brought 1 with me (the other was "destroyed" by a body shop Laughing i.e. hanging on my garage wall). He had trouble getting the fees right, originally was gonna charge me $12 for the deal, but ended up charging $35 at the end (after consulting with a supervisor or friend who was about 22.) Gave me the paper window tag, told me the DMV will send out new stickers, and it will probably take 3 months or more. Whole process took about an hour (even with appointment). Done deal.

On another note, there were some hot young ladies at the DMV today. Not sure if they were applying for their first drivers licenses Twisted Evil or not, but my oh my... Cool Cool

hitest wrote:
Even if completed, the abarth's gonna belch spluey all over your Eriba.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to have the year sticker then where does the month go?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 36

Jump to: