Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California Year of Manufacture Plates
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:

HemmingsMotorNews wrote:

California considers the return of black license plates

Anyone who has ever scanned listings for classic cars has likely seen sellers boasting of a “black-plate car,” in reference to the California-native 1960s-era vehicle they have on offer. These era-correct license plates have long been viewed as a sort of badge of honor among West Coast enthusiasts, one that has been recognized by car folk across the country. Now the state of California is preparing to issue brand-new license plates with the familiar chrome-yellow digits on a black background, in addition to versions that emulate other vintage California license plates.

According to a fact sheet released by the office of California Assemblyman Mike Gatto, Assembly Bill No. 1658, “would create the Legacy License Plate Program to allow the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to issue plates that replicate the look of the plates from the state’s past.” The bill would provide not just for new license plates in the style of vintage black plates, but also new plates with the 1970s-spec blue background and another to emulate the earlier yellow plates with black digits, first issued for 1956.

Since no one else reported on the status of Calif AB 1658, I will. Gov. Brown signed it into law a little more than a month ago. Dancing
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/california-politic...lates.html

Hats off to Assemblyman Mike Gatto of Burbank for introducing the bill.
http://asmdc.org/members/a43/home-page/california-...age-plates
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randall wrote:
AlteWagen wrote:

HemmingsMotorNews wrote:

California considers the return of black license plates

Anyone who has ever scanned listings for classic cars has likely seen sellers boasting of a “black-plate car,” in reference to the California-native 1960s-era vehicle they have on offer. These era-correct license plates have long been viewed as a sort of badge of honor among West Coast enthusiasts, one that has been recognized by car folk across the country. Now the state of California is preparing to issue brand-new license plates with the familiar chrome-yellow digits on a black background, in addition to versions that emulate other vintage California license plates.

According to a fact sheet released by the office of California Assemblyman Mike Gatto, Assembly Bill No. 1658, “would create the Legacy License Plate Program to allow the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to issue plates that replicate the look of the plates from the state’s past.” The bill would provide not just for new license plates in the style of vintage black plates, but also new plates with the 1970s-spec blue background and another to emulate the earlier yellow plates with black digits, first issued for 1956.

Since no one else reported on the status of Calif AB 1658, I will. Gov. Brown signed it into law a little more than a month ago. Dancing
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/california-politic...lates.html

Hats off to Assemblyman Mike Gatto of Burbank for introducing the bill.
http://asmdc.org/members/a43/home-page/california-...age-plates

I am a bit lost here...I mean I just registered my 63 camper with real black plates/yellow letters. Why would you want something like new/repop plates instead of the real ones? Educate me?

I understand if they are going to be on newer (80's+) cars, not 60's cars....

1986 westy syncro
1990 tin top syncro
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They make the real ones realer.
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making new black plates after none have been made for 42 years is like making Gucci knockoff purses. People buy the knockoff purses so that they can impress others without having to pay more money for the real thing. New black plates mean you will have to look closely at what is for sale to verify which ones are original and which ones are the new Legacy plates. Just as monetary inflation lessens the purchasing power of the money that is already in circulation, so the infusion of new black plates in the market will cheapen the value of the original black plates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new plates are easy to spot. The word california is not stamped like the old plates and the letters/numbers will be reflective.

Just another way for CA to get more money
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But aren't the wantabe-newbies only issued in the new letter-number configuration or vanity? No black-on-yellow or yellow-on-blacks were ever issued in vanity. No split busses ever had yellow-on-blue as an OG plate.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadwesty wrote:

I am a bit lost here...I mean I just registered my 63 camper with real black plates/yellow letters. Why would you want something like new/repop plates instead of the real ones? Educate me?

I understand if they are going to be on newer (80's+) cars, not 60's cars....

I don't think a plate made by the State can be a repop.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scooterboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm Send $50 and select custom lettering or sequential. Yellow plates, Black plates, Blue plates.
Saved me $300 for a crappy set.
59 - Convertible Raceable Baja Bug
63 - Dune Buggy
65 - Single Cab
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that have sold a VW with YOM plates but kept the plates, can they be re-assigned to another vehicle at a later date? They are 63 plates (black with yellow letters) and I kept them when I sold my bus.

Thanks
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooterboyd wrote:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm Send $50 and select custom lettering or sequential. Yellow plates, Black plates, Blue plates.

I think it's a cool idea, but they will be modern reflectorized versions of the original ones. It'll be pretty easy to tell that they're not really vintage plates.
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here in texas they are doing the same thing,it is very easy to spot the repops. they DONT have raised letters\numbers-just flat with silk screenings.they simply are uber cheesy,and wont make the original ones LESS expensive
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
For those that have sold a VW with YOM plates but kept the plates, can they be re-assigned to another vehicle at a later date? They are 63 plates (black with yellow letters) and I kept them when I sold my bus.

Thanks

they can only be reissued to the same year vehicle they came off of. If your bus was a 65 it can only be assigned to another 65 vehicle with the appropriate paperwork.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
srfndoc wrote:

Thanks

they can only be reissued to the same year vehicle they came off of. If your bus was a 65 it can only be assigned to another 65 vehicle with the appropriate paperwork.

So basically they are wall hangers for me now unless I purchase another vehicle of the same year. That's kind of a bummer but the guy who bought my bus was out of the country so it didn't make sense to just leave them on the bus.

Thanks.
oldvolkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
AlteWagen wrote:
srfndoc wrote:

Thanks

So basically they are wall hangers for me now unless I purchase another vehicle of the same year. That's kind of a bummer but the guy who bought my bus was out of the country so it didn't make sense to just leave them on the bus.

Thanks.

you cant even do that.

I just got off the phone with DMV and I was told that I will have to wait to use my own blk/yellow plates when they fall off the DMV system.
DMV told me that I should have released them to myself before I sold the car and have DMV issue me the updated plates.

I also sold my 64 Bug but kept my plates because it went out of State.

SO my plates are going on my wall. Need to wait 6 or 7 years. Thats what DMV said.

Im going to my local DMV and see what I can do. I've always had different answers and outcomes with every DMV employee. Seems like some employees don't always know what they are doing.
Atlantic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooterboyd wrote:

Nice, but the yellow plate looks just wrong - puh, that saves my little collection Twisted Evil
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they are only 333 plates short of production as of today!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you able to reissue these? I have a set of off a '60 that id like to sell.

oldvolkz wrote:
srfndoc wrote:
AlteWagen wrote:
srfndoc wrote:

Thanks

Thanks.

you cant even do that.

I just got off the phone with DMV and I was told that I will have to wait to use my own blk/yellow plates when they fall off the DMV system.
DMV told me that I should have released them to myself before I sold the car and have DMV issue me the updated plates.

I also sold my 64 Bug but kept my plates because it went out of State.

SO my plates are going on my wall. Need to wait 6 or 7 years. Thats what DMV said.

Im going to my local DMV and see what I can do. I've always had different answers and outcomes with every DMV employee. Seems like some employees don't always know what they are doing.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldvolkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: California Year of Manufacture Plates Reply with quote

Why don't you call DMV and see if your plates are clear.
westcalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: California Year of Manufacture Plates Reply with quote

I just wanted to give you guys a recent update for California YOM plates....

I went to the DMV today to register my blue and yellow YOM plates and it was a fairly easy process in big part to all of the information that I found here.

Here is what I brought with me:

YOM plates with correct year sticker (1970)
color photocopies of the YOM plates
my original plates
my registration
my pink slip
$45 cash
a filled out YOM application form
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/8e00c021...OD=AJPERES

I made an appointment a few weeks back and brought all of that stuff in today and was out of there within 20 minutes or so

They kept my old plates and said I could start using the YOM plates and issued me a temporary driving pass (pink / red form to be stuck on rear window) until Jan 2020.

I am still awaiting approval from Sacramento and the metal tab. I will keep you guys updated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: California Year of Manufacture Plates Reply with quote

Cool, hopefully Sacramento won't bitch about the extra holes in your front plate. They can be pretty picky, depends on the inspector.
They don't send the tabs anymore as far as I know. I haven't got any from
my last couple sets of plates issued. I just put the current one right over the
YOM one, heck with it. I don't like the look of the tabs anyway. The whole
point of the plates is to be more original...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Page 34 of 36

Jump to: