Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowering Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering Vanagon Reply with quote

Hey TJET,

I am a big fan of my Weitec & Komi combo. My van came with H&R springs and I was not pleased. If I was planning on going next-level I would seek out a customizable coil-over kit; alas, that is not in the cards any time soon.

Not sure about wheel fitment, I am sure others will have some insight.

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
campism wrote:
This one belongs to a local guy. I think he said it has Weitec springs and Konis. CLK wheels. Sorry for the lousy pic, but I was just getting on the highway when I spotted him.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's pretty sweet. I will be working on a 85 tintop that I want to lower. It looks like I can get the lowering spring kit thru Busdepot, but I'm unsure on the Koni shocks.

Are these the correct ones to get with lowering springs?

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Product...5&mt=1

Busdepot Weitec spring kit

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Product...5&mt=1

Also, has anyone rolled their fenders out for clearance (rear)? I'm going to try to fit 15x9's in the rear & 15x8's up front.

Here's an eastwood fender roller

https://www.eastwood.com/autobody/fender-roller.ht...gL9AfD_BwE

Link

Thanks

I do not know the Weitec/Koni details but have emailed Matt, the owner of the yellow van posted above, asking him to pop in and give some details of his install. He also has a 1.8T swap and gave me a ride a couple of years ago. While the slammed look is cool the ride bobbles a little more than I like, similar to all those slammed Civics you see riding on the bump stops.

Matt's Samba handle is El Sabroso, if someone wants to PM him.
El Sabroso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering Vanagon Reply with quote

Hey now. This is on Koni’s and H&R purple springs!
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering Vanagon Reply with quote

Weitec springs and 215/70R14. The front is slightly higher than with H&Rs, giving it a more level look.

tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering Vanagon Reply with quote

They both look great Cool

How is the difference on handling and ride vs stock?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering Vanagon Reply with quote

Handling is excellent, the limitation is tires. I love the stock alloys, there is sooo much sidewall with 14inch wheels that I feel the sidewalks flex with any spirited driving.

Consider a comprehensive suspension upgrade, you will feel improvements from each item installed. Springs alone will leave you bouncing out of bumps; Koni adjustable will be the easiest solution for that.

T3 Sway Bar + HD end links will be the biggest contributor to tighten up handling. This should be the first handling purchase for a new van owner.

Bushings will clean up the rest! Polyurethane of course. Steering rack bushings compliment the sway bar nicely and the rest of the joints will make handling & response consistent.

tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering Vanagon Reply with quote

I just picked up a clean 85 tintop. I'm going to drop it.

Here's the rims that I will get - 15x8 steelies in the front. I'm gonna try to fit 15x9s in the rear with 245/60r15s

https://www.corsasteelies.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ggoudas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering Vanagon Reply with quote

1991 Carat TinTop
VW Jetta Rims
Pirelli Cinturato 225/45/17
Width 8 inches Height 3 inches

Weitec Springs
Koni adjustable shocks “I chose the middle setting”

T3 Technique “Very Helpful”
18 mm spacer front
25 mm spacer rear
25mm front HD Anti-Roll Bar “HD End Links”
Powerflex Polyurethane Bushings – all

Ride height after driving on them for a few years.
Rear center cap to Fender 15 inches
Front center cap to Fender 13 5/8

“Machine shop enlarged the inside rim diameter to go over front hub, but not all the way through so factory center cap would still be used”
Machine shop fabricated 2 new aluminum grease fittings, smaller than originals; tight fit “tap on” that taper down so rim will fit over hub assembly. I had to drill hole and square it for speed odometer cable. I filed off everything I could just before the c-clip on speed cable. I also took just a little plastic off the inside of one center cap. When I rotate tires that center cap stays on the driver’s front when rotating tires. Very tight but I have VW factory rims and center caps!

One Sunday no one was working on highway and I learned a lesson. When I see any road repair slow down. I was on a road trip in traffic a bridge coms up and there is no transition where they took the pavement out and the bridge. That bump at 70 mph or faster is loud, abrupt, and hurts to hear. The van takes it well but you think you just went into a ditch and lost some front end parts. By the time I saw it I couldn’t slow in time with traffic behind me.

Note:
The tires on these rims are about the same overall height as my factory aluminum rims with stock tires.
When my tires wear out I will get same 8” width but will increase side wall 1 or 2 inches.

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering Vanagon Reply with quote

Your Pirellis are very underrated for the weight of the van at 91. You need at least Load Range 97 on a tin top with 99 preferred.

Great colour on the van!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ggoudas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering Vanagon Reply with quote

Hmm, Specs look close to me.
Edmonds 2018 Jetta curb weight 3009
Edmonds 1991 carat curb weight 3460
Purchased tires and rims from Dealer, they said sometimes a car comes in and they have about 5 miles on them and get a tire upgrade 17's off and 19's go on.
I don't think the dealer would put under rated tires on a new cars.
Am I missing something? thanks
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering Vanagon Reply with quote

Your van is not a Jetta! 3460lbs plus seven passengers and luggage gets your van to 5000lbs which is too much for a 91 tire. Vanagons came with 99 rated tires except for the Carats which came with 97.

There is much discussion about this all over the forum.

Please read:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584507
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering Vanagon Reply with quote

dougass wrote:
Weitec springs and 215/70R14. The front is slightly higher than with H&Rs, giving it a more level look.

Is this your 45mm spring kit?

https://www.busdepot.com/333000268

I found this 60mm kit...Hmmm

https://www.mecatechnic.com/en-GB/kit-of-short-springs-60-mm-for-transporter-79-92_KJ52806.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: