Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Putting your child behind the wheel of a classic Beetle?
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Putting your child behind the wheel of a classic Beetle? Reply with quote

My question is simple. Would, "you", in todays commuting society, place your newly licensed child behind the wheel of a classic Beetle? I have recently sold our 02 Beetle that I had planned to give him, due to my opinion that the newer Beetles dont quite represent a manly image especially in the eyes of a 14-16 year old boy. I have a decent 67 Sedan Beetle I have planned to place my son in after a mild father/son rebuild. I started in a 64 Beetle, and have always had a classic since. My father didnt have an issue with me driving one in the early 80's, and I guess I shouldn't have any reserve about my own son doing the same, but in todays society of the SUPER LARGE TRUCKS AND SUV's, Cell phones, texting, etc and all other distractions, would you consider an old VW to be a safe mode of transport. In todays cocoon cars, driving the old Beetles do make me feel a little vulnurable to the outside world, but to quote one of my favorite lines from movies, (Tucker) "Cars are safe, people are unsafe." I realize it may get banged and bumped a little, but I feel from my own experieince, if you have your hands in on working/building a vehicle, you have the tendency to take better care of it. So what do the samba members think?
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outoftheoffice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would let him drive it. He'll get some great experience at an early age. Plus he would have the coolest car in the high school parking lot!
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I NEVER considered a classic beetle to be a safe mode of transportation!

Your 67 is still a swing axle car. Your son is irresponsible! No offense, but that’s just the truth about being his age! It just takes one inexperienced, reckless moment for it all to come crashing down around you.

Young people do stupid things because they have no imagination of what the consequences are. They do, and then think (maybe). And by that time, it’s too late to go back and change things.

My first car was a 60 beetle, followed by a 63, a 50, then a 70, a 65, another 63, a 56, a 57, a 64, a 55, etc. For the most part I enjoyed every one of them. And in my younger years did a lot of crazy stuff just because I didn’t know any better.

Now, I look back and I really don’t know how I was lucky enough to survive my early years of driving. A few of my friends weren’t so lucky. At the time of our innocence, we didn’t understand that the crashes that took these lives would have been survivable in a different vehicle. Or we weren’t smart enough to accept that fact.

These 40+ year old cars are lacking a lot in the safety arena. That’s part of what killed them when production stopped.

I’m all in favor of the Father/Son bonding project, but a 10 or 15 year old Honda, Chevy, Ford, or even a Geo, will offer plenty of safety innovations these old cars never had.

As a parent, you would like to think your kid would never do something stupid. The reality is we ALL do stupid things! And a stupid mistake on today’s roads may cripple, kill or maim you faster then any other time in history.

So, in my opinion, yes, rebuild the old bug with your kid! Use it for weekends and shows. But get him something more modern as a daily driver.

You can replace the car, they make new ones every day! Can you say the same for your kid?
MinamiKotaro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been a 16 year old whose first car was a '67 Beetle ... I would NEVER consider letting a teenager behind the wheel of one.

He needs the safest car you can possibly find him. A Beetle doesn't even come close.
Check out my ongoing story.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a parent, but maybe the Beetle could be his "reward" for a year or two of perfect driving in another car? My brother drove Bugs in high school and survived, but I had to total our family minivan before the concept of "following distance" really sank in. Embarassed

OTOH, it seems to me that sending them out in tanks (as a lot of parents do) doesn't teach them to drive defensively enough. So there's a happy medium...

- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
the-jerm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a question that I have been debating now that I have kids. My first car was a '72 bug. I enjoyed that car and learned alot from it too. After seeing two of my classmates get into wrecks in bugs, I understood very quickly that I was very vulnerable driving it. I would say that knowing that made me more alert and definately taught me lessons that I don't believe I would have received in another "safer" car. I think the larger or newer cars are safer but, at the same time, give people an inflated and somewhat false sense of security. Yes they have more safety features but they also have ALOT more power. I would say yes to giving him a bug, just not the'67. Go find a cheap fatty to let him learn with and if he shows interest, help him rebuild the '67 for him to drive when the time is right.
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Child Behind The Wheel Reply with quote

Not a good idea in my opinion. The experienced adult has to really be on their toes to manage in todays NASCAR freeway driving. My 16 year old grandson has driven my '62 with "Pop" in the passenger seat, but not in busy city or freeway traffic. He is a good driver, but way too young and inexperienced to be in a small car.

As much as I love the old VW's, they are not safe when matched with what is on the road today.

The new driver needs all the protection they can get with a big or sturdy car.

Last edited by Harris on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
JinxedSydney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:

OTOH, it seems to me that sending them out in tanks (as a lot of parents do) doesn't teach them to drive defensively enough. So there's a happy medium...

- Scott

That is such a great statement. Too often, driving privledges seem like "rights" to kids. I had a '74 Rabbit as my first car and survived a low speed rear end impact from a semi truck because I saw it coming and turned my wheels. Also, the weighted seat belt helped (and gave me a righteous bruise and whiplash, but it was worth it).

As far as texting and cell phones in Bugs, I'm sure it is doable, but the noise of the engine discourages cell phones and there is far too much shifting to text. I have to agree with the OP's quote about safe cars make people unsafe. I also agree that the height of the newer vehicles on the road would make me double think it. I know....buy him a Thing!!!
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to go with the beetle, put the biggest, fattest roll cage in it you can find/build. I'm a parent too and while I'd not hesitate to drive any of my acvws anywhere, I'd pause too before letting my kids do it.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 to 1, I guess I screwed up, by your opinions, by selling the 02. I to agree that feeling more secure in a car makes you more relaxed and in my opinion less aware.
I recently built my wife a fiberglass dune buggy, that she drives about to work and play. I told her to imagine everyone is out to get her, exactly the same way I feel when I ride my motorcycle. Like I have a big red target on me. I know that just driving an old Beetle, builds character in a person. My first bug I bought for 100 bucks when I was in sixth grade. Drove it around the farm and neighborhood years before even having my license. I know its a little slow, crude car, but it definatly made me appreciate nicer things as I aged. I'm on the fence on this one.
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% with drscope. My son is just getting his license and he'll be driving my car with side airbags.

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEN STEWART Wrote:
Quote:
I'm on the fence on this one.

Ken,

Are you in a rural farming area? If so, you may get away with this idea---Maybe!! If your in or close to a city and it's anything like most cities, it's a chance not worth taking at least for his first year of fender crunching.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes rural, with small/medium cities branched out around the area. I really am not trying to get away with anything. I had originally intended to give my son the 02. Read this http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=330433&highlight=

After owning my first New Beetle, I realized they are not very manly cars. (In my opinion)

With so many Old VW projects accumulated, it was a no brainer, small, simple, inexpensive, moderate fuel effeceint, transportation, I just didn't think about the safety factor because I have driven these cars all my life, with only minor bump ups.
Usually and often edited
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Puttin Your Child Reply with quote

Ken,

Good link and I agree with you. I didn't mean to indicate you were trying to get away with something. The 12 year old photo below was not my fault. Hit head on by a truck on a curve when he left his lane and came into mine. Rain slick street. I was very lucky! One I'll remember.

Lou

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want all the input good and bad. In reallity anyone can be seriuosly hurt in anything that we drive or ride on streets. We live in such a protected society in todays time. Driving around in a cocoon, unaware of our suroundings.
Usually and often edited
delliott101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got a '71 Super Beetle for my stepson... he has been driving for over a year, but this will be his first car. We are getting it all in shape as a project.

I am trying to show him how it works and also want him to get the feel of it. He does not know (yet) how to drive a stick shift, so I know he's not going to drive wild in it until he gets comfortable driving it.

I totalled my '64 Bug back in '84... it took me over 20 years to get back into a Bug... I had no seatbelts in it. At least the '71 has 3 point belts. I'm also going overboard making sure it is as safe as possible for him

We don't own old VWs, we just take care of them for the next driver
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leading factor for accidents and injury is not the car you drive, it's how you drive. Avoiding accident-prone situations is the best defense. That takes years of experience, and unfortunately usually some close calls or mistakes. I recommend he does his "learning" on a safer beater car, then "graduate" to a VW after he has learned his lessons. Using the VW as a reward is a great idea.
delliott101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Phil...

A car is as good as the driver... the classic VW is an extention of it's driver even moreso..

We don't own old VWs, we just take care of them for the next driver
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years, I have found that the accidents I have been involved in were all avoidable. Once you acquire the required basic driving skills, your safety becomes a matter of the choices you make. Even when an accident is the other guy's fault, you still have some control!

Learning that certain intersections routinely see red light runners, or lane-changers that do not plan ahead or look first, sudden lane merges, blind curves, things like this... THIS is the knowledge that lets you avoid risky situations. Once you realize that defensive driving is, as we were taught so long ago, to "think for the other driver" because often he/she is NOT thinking, you realize that you have to do it for them.

Are they weaving a bit? Drunk? Cell phone? Kid screaming in the back seat? Yeah, they will be "at fault" if they swerve and hit you while you are legally in your lane, but the fact is an attentive driver will recognize the situation, and slow or change lanes to provide a safe buffer.

I call it the "idiot space" and it is a circle around another bad driver that he/she must be allowed to consume thoughtlessly or recklessly, and I must stay out of that circle!

It takes experience, near-misses, and maybe a fender bender or two before a young driver learns that "fault" doesn't matter, "preventability" and "avoidance" are everything. And the scary fact is that the young drivers learns what stupid things drivers are capable of by attempting some of those stunts themselves. A safe car matters then.

As he learns to drive, and develops this sense of risky situations to avoid, you should watch him, and see when he has gained the sensitivity to be safe. Only then should he be exposed to the otherwise dangerous environment of an old Bug.
66 12volt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt that modern technology has contributed to safer automobiles. Air bags, anti-locking brakes traction control etc. On the flip side of the coin technology has created many competent drivers out of not so competent drivers. Take a driver who has never driven a car without the new technologies. This driver is more prone to driving too fast in foul weather. An old school driver will know that if the brakes need to be hit hard chances of losing control are great. Thus he/she drives for the road condition and does not rely on the technologies. A good friend suggested I buy my daughter an old diesel MB. He explained that with the pedal to the floor 0 to 60 is painful and as soon as you get off the accelerator it begins to brake.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: