Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Shock-Absorber Bumpers
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Shock-Absorber Bumpers Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Are these shocks filled with grease? I've heard that before, but it doesn't make sense to me.

If one or more of mine goes, I'd just bite the bullet and get a good used one or two from the Samba Classifieds.

Tim

I found good refinished brackets on thesamba for $125 to $150 each- and this car would need all 4 Shocked . The problem is that this is not my car; I'm getting the thing running and safe for someone else who can barely afford to pay for the parts, let alone pay me for my time. I'm just trying to figure out what the options are. If I could somehow modify these brackets, then fine. But they are not in good shape at all: the front brackets are compressed to the point that the bumper has been shoved into the trunk, and one bracket is bent to the side by about 5 degrees.

I also found used, un-compressed brackets for $50 each. Much better price, but I still gotta clean them up, and my time is limited and honestly, better used doing something else- but here I am.

The bumpers, miraculously, look to be in great shape despite the trauma they've been through: still straight-ish and still with fantastic German chrome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Shock-Absorber Bumpers Reply with quote

Before I went a different route on my 74 bumpers, I had planned to find some steel round stock with the same diameter as the old bumper shocks, and just fabricate some new bumper brackets from them. Painted black and fitting through the plastic covers of the bumper holes in the fenders, you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference at a glance.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Shock-Absorber Bumpers Reply with quote

For all still looking for those elusive bumper shocks for 74 - 79 Supers, this may be a source while they last.

http://www.eisparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scr...&char=
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Shock-Absorber Bumpers Reply with quote

Wow. $50 each-- that ain't bad. Thanks for sharing that.
DesertBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Shock-Absorber Bumpers Reply with quote

They show Out of Stock.

74 Super Beetle (German Look Project)
Full Flow 1776 with 36 Dells, 4 wheel drilled and slotted disc brakes, Porsche 7x17 Turbo Twists, Topline Maxx Struts, Camber kit, 7/8" Front Sway bar, Rear Sway bar, Urethane bushings all around.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Shock-Absorber Bumpers Reply with quote

Depending on how badly you need these shocks VW still uses these on '98-'05 Passats (also found on Audi A4/A6 of those years.). They would need modifications & mounts fabricated but....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Shock-Absorber Bumpers Reply with quote

As far as decompressing them goes, you can drill a hole in the body & thread a grease fitting in it & see if a grease gun might be able to pump it up. Or CAREFULLY try with pumping up with air (maybe a bicycle floor type pump to avoid overpressurizing) making sure nothing is directly in front or behind the shock.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Shock-Absorber Bumpers Reply with quote

While cruising around Wolfsburg West's site the other night, (and catching up on some latest added items on a few various VW websites since last summer)... spotted these new bumper shocks!!

Left Front:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=133807131C

Right Front:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=133807132C

Both Rear 74's and '75+:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/bumpers/bug_bumper/r_bump_shock.cfm

And the End mounting bracket hardware..
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=133807000

Those photo details look pretty darn spot on to the old BOGE brackets. Very Happy
I like how the silver-plated circular end caps match the originals!

Not sure if they even posted these in their monthly email Newsletter yet.

oemwolf
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Shock-Absorber Bumpers Reply with quote

Cool. Maybe WW is starting to expand their inventory to include items that are more unique to the 70's on up cars. Good move if that's the case.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Shock-Absorber Bumpers Reply with quote

The problem I see with these WW shocks is the fact that they omitted the 1974 (first year used by VW) Super Beetles. What’s up with that?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Shock-Absorber Bumpers Reply with quote

a.wilson wrote:
While cruising around Wolfsburg West's site the other night, (and catching up on some latest added items on a few various VW websites since last summer)... spotted these new bumper shocks!!
I always love it when someone bumps an old thread with good news, and I get the notification for it. Cool Thanks for the heads-up!

Dwayne1m wrote:
Cool. Maybe WW is starting to expand their inventory to include items that are more unique to the 70's on up cars. Good move if that's the case.

They have for quite some time, the issue is that it isn't their focus, and they don't really make all of the parts easy to find... For example, I've bought a fair number of 1500/1600 engine parts from them either by navigating through the 40hp menus, or just by searching for keywords... It's a bit difficult at times. Confused
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Shock-Absorber Bumpers Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
The problem I see with these WW shocks is the fact that they omitted the 1974 (first year used by VW) Super Beetles. What’s up with that?

Tim

Huh.. no idea. I was under the impression that they were all the same for Standard and Supers. At least the rears are. Maybe they'll get around to creating some front bracket shocks for Supers in the near future(?)

WD-40 wrote:
I always love it when someone bumps an old thread with good news, and I get the notification for it. Cool Thanks for the heads-up!

Dwayne1m wrote:

WD-40 wrote:
They have for quite some time, the issue is that it isn't their focus, and they don't really make all of the parts easy to find... For example, I've bought a fair number of 1500/1600 engine parts from them either by navigating through the 40hp menus, or just by searching for keywords... It's a bit difficult at times. Confused

Yup. People have been asking for new bumper shocks forever.. and these are the first time a company has stepped up to the plate!
Lol.. I did a search and saw your post on page one of that 'Official Whine' topic (back in 2006) for these brackets. Couldn't decide weather to post an update there, or in this newer topic.

Sure has been a long time in the coming! We've all been forced to having to scrounge around and fix/paint old used and busted stuff, and hope we'd find a decent set or individual bracket.
As for quality or longevity or availability of these ... only time will tell.

oemwolf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: