Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is the fuel capacity for a 67 beetle gas tank?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
East Bay Volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: What is the fuel capacity for a 67 beetle gas tank? Reply with quote

I know that the later ones have 9.6 gallons, but is the tank on a 67 smaller? I seem to have unusually high fuel consumption---leak perhaps?

Anyone know the fuel tank capacity?
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1967 tank holds

40 Liters
8.8 Imperial Gallons
or
10.6 US Gallons

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
East Bay Volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: cripes Reply with quote

10.6 huh? hmm, better find that leak....also must replace sending unit....it drops off after 30 miles or so, bounces around and then goes to "R" which always makes me nervous as hell....

Last time it read "R" I filled it up to the top and it only took 3.3 gallons.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the gauges in all the cars ever made since the invention of the gas-powered automobile, the gas gauges from air-cooled VWs are possibly the least accurate and least consistent from one car to the next. Mine doesn't even move for the first 100 miles, then drops like a stone in the next 20.

Draw no conclusions about fuel consumption on such a device.

Does your odometer work? If so, use that and the number of gallons pumped to calculate miles per gallon.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
East Bay Volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: gas gauge Reply with quote

Ha ha----have used that method in the past....always fun should you miscalculate....Been driving VWs since 1987 and I've had to replace the sending unit in three of my five VWs.
Last time it cost $16 for a new sending unit...I think I can splurge Wink
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try adjusting it:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
Of all the gauges in all the cars ever made since the invention of the gas-powered automobile, the gas gauges from air-cooled VWs are possibly the least accurate and least consistent from one car to the next.

I second this quote, and add it doesn't depend if it is a mechanical gauge or electric gauge. It is exaclty that a "Gauge". Not entirely accurate.

If it as all lowered in the front, forget about the 10.6 gallons. Good luck to get 9.5 in it.

Arrow ALWAYS test your out of fuel point in a VW.

Or one thought you could always add a reserve tap like on 1961 and earlier Beetles. No gauge just drive it until "sputter sputter, turn the lever, sput, sputter, sputttter sputtttter and vroooooom".

One more thing of all the Beetles I have owned (about 100) I had 3 1967's that ended up with holes in the fuel line inside the tunnel. Seems more prone to leaks in my experiences
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't trust the gauge try putting in a reserve fuel tap for the extra insurance.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine on the 65 is similar to one posted - 100 miles - no change, then drops pretty quick - set my adjustment for mid point. Figure out about were the needle is when its 5 gallons down. Set it for there. This way, when you get to 1/2, you should start looking for gas in the next few exits.....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sid Vicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set mine to hit the Reserve mark when I have 1.5 US gallons left in the tank. At a full tank, it only goes up to approx the 3/4 full mark.

Good times...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sheba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 67 also seems to burn a lot of gas. There's no gas leak. I have to put about $21-23 dollars of gas in it every 3 or 4 days!!! and yes the needle is irradict in it drops very quickly after not dropping at all for a while. However.... I'm told my car is burning so much gas because 1) it has a superbeetle engine in it, 2) it has a dual carburetor and 3) it needs an electronic ignition (gas wasted from trying to start if from a cold start). People see me cruising and say boy I bet that things good on gas. If they only new Crying or Very sad NOT!

Any suggestions on saving gas! Unfortunately, my speedometer has stopped working so I haven't really been able to tell how many miles I'm getting to the gallon yet. I bought it in May 2009 - but the constant gassing I really wasn't expecting:?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By Dual carburetor, do you mean it has two carbs, or one center mounted two-barrel carb? Center mounted two barrel carbs are well known for poor running and poor gas milage. A hotter igntion probably won't help it much either. A well heated manifold, and proper setup as far as jetting and distributor advance is the only way that will work good. (almost 20 years ago, my first baja bug came with a progressive 2-barrel carb that never ran very well. Got like 10-15MPG. I switched to a stock manifold/carb and my gas milage went to 23-28, and performance wasn't really that much different. Classic case of improperly set up carb, I'm sure.)

By the way, I've always tracked my gas milage - writing down every drop of gas I buy and the milage, and I check the difference my odometer reads compared to actual miles driven from time to time and take that into account as well. This is the only way to know for sure what you are getting and is something you should do, at least every now and then. Saying "I dump X dollars in every X days" really doesn't indicate a whole lot. Can you at least estimate your miles driven and how many gallons you are putting in? If your speedometer or odometer is bad, you can always use a GPS.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
By Dual carburetor, do you mean it has two carbs, or one center mounted two-barrel carb? Center mounted two barrel carbs are well known for poor running and poor gas milage. A hotter igntion probably won't help it much either. A well heated manifold, and proper setup as far as jetting and distributor advance is the only way that will work good. (almost 20 years ago, my first baja bug came with a progressive 2-barrel carb that never ran very well. Got like 10-15MPG. I switched to a stock manifold/carb and my gas milage went to 23-28, and performance wasn't really that much different. Classic case of improperly set up carb, I'm sure.)

By the way, I've always tracked my gas milage - writing down every drop of gas I buy and the milage, and I check the difference my odometer reads compared to actual miles driven from time to time and take that into account as well. This is the only way to know for sure what you are getting and is something you should do, at least every now and then. Saying "I dump X dollars in every X days" really doesn't indicate a whole lot. Can you at least estimate your miles driven and how many gallons you are putting in? If your speedometer or odometer is bad, you can always use a GPS.

-Andy

It is a sad day when you have to educate someone (who is old enough to drive) how to calculate miles-per-gallon. Crying or Very sad
instepdrive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the fuel capacity for a 67 beetle gas tank? Reply with quote

What would be the average gas mileage per gallon?

Thanks
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the fuel capacity for a 67 beetle gas tank? Reply with quote

instepdrive wrote:
What would be the average gas mileage per gallon?

Thanks

Per VW when the car was new and completely stock, just under 27mpg.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/bug67models/page47.jpg

In the real world when talking about a car over fifty years old, it depends: what kind of condition is the engine in; how well is it tuned; has the car or driveline been modified; how does the driver operate the car; what are the conditions the car is operated in; etc.
cyclehobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the fuel capacity for a 67 beetle gas tank? Reply with quote

When people ask questions about my 67 Bug, the younger or more unaware question-asker is usually shocked when I tell them it gets about 27 MPG (which is right about what I average on the highway). Considering that larger, modern cars can get that MPG or more, I can see where the confusion is for some.

However, I find it interesting when I explain that back in 1967, some "average" family cars got only 10 or 12 (or less!!!) MPG, the uninitiated recognize that VW gas mileage was quite high for the time.

My Bug's gas gauge was way off when I first got it. Not sure but I thought the lowered front end had something to do with it. On the next fill up (leaving room for the gas to expand a little), I adjusted the little knob on the back of the gauge to FULL and it's worked pretty well since. Full is full and I try to get gas when the gauge starts to dip below half. At that point, it can take about 5 gallons or a little bit less, so I must be close (or close enough!).
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the fuel capacity for a 67 beetle gas tank? Reply with quote

Don't adjust it to be correct when full. That is not nearly as useful as knowing when it is nearly empty! Do you care if you have enough gas for 205 or 210 miles? Probably not.
But you REALLY care if you are on fumes and the gas station is 10, not 5 miles away!
Here is what VW has to say about it; this should still work with your lowered front end:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: