Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Syncro Doka thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultra cool syncro!

I hear Buslab in the bay area is a good VW shop that knows what they are doing, but I live in the OR Bay Area, so thats all I can tell you.

As for parts, Lars at Tristar Connection is hands down a great vendor to deal with with an impressive stock:

http://www.tristar-connection.de/index.php

Also locally, Syncrozilla (samba member) seems to be selling a lot of good stuff these days.

But if you are looking for OEM panels and you can't source it out from the usual vendors then I recommend that you give VW Classic Parts a try; I was able to get a new roof, cab panel, dropgates and a rear door from them. Super easy to deal with:

http://www.volkswagen-classicparts.de/startseite/?L=2&cHash=f960acb4410473343d891da8c2e4172e

Just do an availability check for your part, but have part numbers ready.

Good Luck with your ride.

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DSwezey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if they work on diesels much, but VanCafe (http://www.van-cafe.com) does excellent work on all things vanagon. They are in Santa Cruz, so not to much of a drive once you're back in the bay.
the_last1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: repair manual Reply with quote

Also wondering what repair manual to use for the 1.6td syncro? Haven't been able to find any sort of reference materials
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i passed on that very doka from busman...i found it in great shape but another one came up with better features, also awaiting shipping....
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally a doka syncro Reply with quote

this one!

the_last1 wrote:
Hey

thought i would pop in now that i can officially show my Doka Syncro! Still waiting shipment, however i have a couple pictures. It's gonna need a little work, but the price! wow, such a good deal.
1990 doka syncro 1.6td(rebuilt) rear diff. lock with off road package(lifted springs, reinforced plate, etc). I'm currently living up near Yosemite, but am back down in the bay area alot, and will be returning to the bay, soon.
1. I know of a few diesel shops there, but was wondering if anyone had first hand experiences with mechanics there. (SF Bay)
2. The bed needs some work, and i was planning on spray liner, any thoughts or recommendations? Am open to doing it myself too.
3.Paint is gonna wait till i get the few rust spots out and dial in the engine/tranny
4. I'm lurking on european websites trying to find parts that i may need from there that i can't get here, if anyone can think of some besides panels for repair, would love to know!
5. has anyone on this side of the pond tried or know of someone who has built a Alusigen canopy? I've been watching with great interest here, http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=120400 but sadly could take over three months before it could be finished and 3,000 usd! So out of the question.
Anywho looking forward to meeting some of you soon!
Travis
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
the_last1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: recaro seats Reply with quote

So anyone got a good source on Recaro seats? Gonna take out the partition wall and get rid of the bench seat. Gowesty is out of stock. As well as others. Don't want to pay crazy shipping either. Located in san francisco bay area.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: repair manual Reply with quote

the_last1 wrote:
Also wondering what repair manual to use for the 1.6td syncro? Haven't been able to find any sort of reference materials

The folks on the 80-90 forum in the UK are a good source of info for the 1.6 diesels. Also vwdiesel.net under the IDI section.
The Bentley has some info for the early diesels but not much help. Depends what you need.
Good luck!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: recaro seats Reply with quote

the_last1 wrote:
So anyone got a good source on Recaro seats? Gonna take out the partition wall and get rid of the bench seat. Gowesty is out of stock. As well as others. Don't want to pay crazy shipping either. Located in san francisco bay area.

I don't own a pair, but I've been considering the SewFine seats for Vanagons. They can be made in any material/color combo, and have a heated option as well. They look pretty nice, and are a bit less than Recaros.
the_last1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: wheels and tires for my doka syncro Reply with quote

So thanks gents for all the good link on seats and parts! I've got my hands full with browsing tons of websites and forums. Now ive been reading about wheels and tires fo my doka, but hit a wall. I have the 14" doka syncro with the high road package. Now im not sure i want to go up to 16" because i don't want to mess with the gear ratios. So i was thinking 15" with bfg or grabbers. Anyone have suggestions on wheels and tire sizes. The doka has the 1.6td so keep that in mind for the sake of making it even slower haha.

Travis.
[/i]
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you plan to install larger front brakes you're best bet is to stay with 14" wheels and using the 195/75/14 BF Goodrich T/A KO tires if you want an aggressive off-road tire.
The tall sidewalls will have more give in rough roads and more room to air down. The size is close to stock so good performance.
Get some stock Vanagon 14" alloy wheels, always available for cheap, and a decent light weight rim.

Nice solid looking truck!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
CHARLIE-DONT-SURF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you have the 1.6TD Golfs (Rabbits?) or Passats etc over your side of the pond, if you did pull - the JX pump off and fit a pump off one of these.

Makes helluva difference Smile
the_last1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: doka wheels and tires Reply with quote

MsTaboo
Im not opposed to upgrading the brakes, im sure they are going to need it anyway. I do like the idea of keeping 14's for simplicity sake, however there is just SOOO much space in that wheel well. haha

CHARLIE-DONT-SURF
As far as the JX pump, what would that be used for, i do have plans to install an intercooler, is this what your talking about? Sorry very new to diesels, I'm unclear on what it's purpose is. Iam very open to any tweeks i can do to the 1.6td for more power and lower rpms!

Travis
Buss Marius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the original rims until you have instaled the intercooler, oilcooler and adjusted the dieselpump. You are not crazy if you adjust the engine to about 90HP. I would not go abow 100hp, but 90hp is ok. Then it will bee a lot faster. A doka is not as heavy as a van, and much lighter than a westy. With 90hp the next step is maybee bigger breaks? If you are planing any other diesel engin(TDI!?) than the JX in the doka, you would get wery high rpms, then you need 16' tyres, The JX engine operate with higher RPMs than anny other modern Diesel engine.
the_last1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buss Marius wrote:
Keep the original rims until you have instaled the intercooler, oilcooler and adjusted the dieselpump. You are not crazy if you adjust the engine to about 90HP. I would not go abow 100hp, but 90hp is ok. Then it will bee a lot faster. A doka is not as heavy as a van, and much lighter than a westy. With 90hp the next step is maybee bigger breaks? If you are planing any other diesel engin(TDI!?) than the JX in the doka, you would get wery high rpms, then you need 16' tyres, The JX engine operate with higher RPMs than anny other modern Diesel engine.

Solid advice! I have been doing some research on the intercooler and oilcooler. I will make these my top priority. Does anyone have a vendor for either of these?

I found this guy with a super rad setup! However he doesn't sell them separately.
http://www.syncro-bernd-jaeger.de/ENGLISH/Ladeluftkuhler-TD/ladeluftkuhler-td.html

Still new to the whole thing
Thanks
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get over to vwdiesel.net, (the IDI section) a very well informed group hang out there. Lots of good info about upgrades and just getting your rig running it's best.
Also vwdieselparts.com, good info and tech help.
And vincewaldon.com for help on setting the injection pump timing and pimping the glow plug circuit.

The injection pump is everything on diesels, it controls fuel delivery, ignition timing and throttle control. Taking the place of the fuel pump, spark plugs and carburetor/fuel injection systems.

As for the bigger brakes on the fronts, I would hold off on spending any money there until later, if at all. As stated above the Doka is lighter than the Westies and a well maintained stock brake system is very good by itself.
Really no need unless you want full on bling.
There are better things to spend your Doka money on!

A rebuilt or modded injection pump (performancediesel.ca) and matched injectors, a oil cooler, boost controller and gauge (gauges are a must for any mods to the engine) and a intercooler.

Then theres the body, regular Dokas were intended as basic work trucks and have no sound deadening at all! Very loud inside compared to Vanagons. The Tristars were the lux versions and have lots of sound deadening material in the head liners, cabin wall, floors and around the engines to reduce sound/vibrations.
Look into that for a much more comfortable ride. I had a regular Syncro Doka like yours before I got my Tristar, big difference!

My Syncro Tristar was my first entry to diesel vehicles and was a really big learning curve after forty years of petrol engine work! A very different critter but really cool engineering. The beasts are simple and very tough but require that a few basics be correct. Take the time to read up before spending your money.

Remember there are two basic systems in diesels; mechanical (like your JX) or electronic control of the pump. The older mechanical systems are very robust and many off-roaders prefer these to electronic for simplicity, the newer TDis have electronic controls which give better performance and fuel economy, but extra stuff to go wrong.

DSwezey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Doka bed seats Reply with quote

Hi all,
Wondering if any one has considered putting in or has put in jump seats or a bench seat in the bed of their DoKa. I've seen it on other trucks, just not sure if its ever been done on a DoKa.

Thanks
DennisSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is mine doka ,Original ex-Belgium army 14 inch syncro 1.6 TD, 1990, only 35000 original miles.
All original except wheels and bullbar Smile .

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice truck.
91Transporter16"
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cool looking truck. I like the decals and the canopy.
Very Happy

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2080550
jetfitzmaurice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisSyncro wrote:

nice looking truck Very Happy what are the specs on the wheels and tyres? got any more pictures?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Page 43 of 58

Jump to: