Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Syncro Doka thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

I'm finally in the club! and will hopefully be sharing my 16 soon.

Looking for options for camping with it. Seems that a light rooftop tent might work on the aluminum tilt frame, or possibly with Vindic if the legs are reinforced. Anyone else found any bed frames or made a custom rack that would work in this way?

Another challenge sounds like keeping things in the bed dry since Vindics don't seal to the weather all that well...

Earlier in this thread there was a lot of buzz about a homemade NATO but that seems to have faded away...
holdthewind2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

The doka is for truck things... need a camper for camper things...

.... actually thought about building a rack for a RTT and making a sick camper out of the doka. Love a project. I would have to get rid of the camper then.... that's not happening....

So truck for truck and camper for camping Wink
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Hello all. Need some help with the rear bench seat in my 89 Doka. It was imported for Germany.

I am not even sure if the bench is the proper one as the interior was swapped out at some point long ago. Originally brown seats, everything now gray.

The bench seat is not secured and rattles and squeaks. You can see some sort of latch in the photo but on the body there appears nothing for it to latch to.

Can someone verify if that is the correct seat and what must be done to secure it?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Hey all. Got a headlight out on my Doka from Germany with the H4. I can take it apart to see but would rather not before getting a bulb.

Looking like the FLAPS here may not have a H$. Will a regular Vanagon 9003 or is it 9004 fit? What options do I have to get it working so I'm legal?
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Pic.

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

What are you trying to replace, the headlight assembly or just the bulb?
H4 bulbs are usually readily available.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

jAndrew wrote:
Hey all. Got a headlight out on my Doka from Germany with the H4. I can take it apart to see but would rather not before getting a bulb.

Looking like the FLAPS here may not have a H$. Will a regular Vanagon 9003 or is it 9004 fit? What options do I have to get it working so I'm legal?

Never mind, looks like a switch or wire issue, ugh! The city lights and high beam do not work on that side either.
Chuckarlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

jAndrew wrote:
Hello all. Need some help with the rear bench seat in my 89 Doka. It was imported for Germany.

I am not even sure if the bench is the proper one as the interior was swapped out at some point long ago. Originally brown seats, everything now gray.

The bench seat is not secured and rattles and squeaks. You can see some sort of latch in the photo but on the body there appears nothing for it to latch to.

Can someone verify if that is the correct seat and what must be done to secure it?

Hi jAndrew,

Same for my 16 syncro. That tab keeps the rear of the cushion on the seat rails and there are metal tabs on front of seat cushion to keep it from sliding forward. No real attachment, just pops in and out so you have access to spare tire, etc.

jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Chuckarlie wrote:
jAndrew wrote:

Hi jAndrew,

Same for my 16 syncro. That tab keeps the rear of the cushion on the seat rails and there are metal tabs on front of seat cushion to keep it from sliding forward. No real attachment, just pops in and out so you have access to spare tire, etc.

Mine still won't 'pop' in. It almost looks like the metal tabs there near the front are not in the proper location. I'll mess with it again tonight and see if I can get it set in place.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Question or discussion about the lights on a Euro Doka. One of my city lights burned out, and in addition I had some strange goings on with the headlights that were caused by the ignition switch going bad. That ignition cured the headlight issues so I installed new LED bulbs for the city lights. Now when the headlights are on the city lights remain on. I'm sure it was the same before but since they are not very bright I never noticed. Now the cool white LED mixes with the H4 and seems odd. I also noticed on the front signal lights there is a wire that the PO cut. The lower turn signal light, of course, doesn't light when the switch is in the middle position- what most Americans would call parking lights. Some previous owner wrapped blue painter's tape on the wiring to the headlights so I know some fuckery is afoot.

So how should they perform? Should the city lights remain on with the headlights? In European models should the turn signal lights operate in the middle position AND when the headlights are on?

Going to get in there and resolve the issues and would like them to operate as were originally intended.
holdthewind2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

My doka has another switch for the driving lights.... if the driving light switch is on and the headlight switch is fully off, then the driving lights are offf... when the headlight switch is turned on to the parking light position (first click) the driving lights are on, but not the headlights... when the main switch is fully on the driving lights and headlights Re on... to turn off the driving lights you need to use the driving light switch... mine is on the right hand side of the gauge cluster below the rear defroster switch
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

holdthewind2 wrote:
My doka has another switch for the driving lights.... if the driving light switch is on and the headlight switch is fully off, then the driving lights are offf... when the headlight switch is turned on to the parking light position (first click) the driving lights are on, but not the headlights... when the main switch is fully on the driving lights and headlights Re on... to turn off the driving lights you need to use the driving light switch... mine is on the right hand side of the gauge cluster below the rear defroster switch

Thanks for that. Just to make sure we are talking about the same lights: driving light = city light, the small bulb inside the headlight assembly?

I have a switch there but it is a 3 position switch that doesn't affect the lights, I thought it was for fog lights, interesting.

jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Under the painters tape you can see where someone tapped into what appears a ground and the yel/blk for whatever reason.

holdthewind2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

I was talking fog lights as driving lights... oops
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

holdthewind2 wrote:

No worries. Is your switch a 3 position one? The one pictured in my dash is similar to the headlight switch and has 3 positions on it. Strange.
holdthewind2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

I will double check when I get home tonight
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

jAndrew wrote:
holdthewind2 wrote:

No worries. Is your switch a 3 position one? The one pictured in my dash is similar to the headlight switch and has 3 positions on it. Strange.

Off/fog/fog with rear fog. The rear fog is in the taillight assembly, not separate.
holdthewind2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

always thought it was off/fog on until headlights switch on then fog off/ fog on with headlights... I just checked and it's off/fog/fog no matter the headlights switch position... unsure about rear fog
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

finally in the club! a syncro doka has been my dream vehicle for at least 10 years, and I just picked this '89 up about a month ago. It's got a 2.5 subaru in it, and drives great. It looks decent from a distance, but the paint is definitely a backyard job. Rust isn't too bad anywhere from what I can tell so far.

I'm just enjoying it for a while before I dive into all the projects I have in mind for it.. decoupler, new captains chairs, rear discs, new paint, new window tinting, AC would be nice... it'll be a labor of love for a while.

[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
holdthewind2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Very nice Doka... hope you enjoy talking to strangers... you'll get plenty of questions everywhere you go... Congrats
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Page 53 of 58

Jump to: