Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Syncro Doka thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Congratulations on a very nice doka! Would love to see photos of the inside, the engine conversion, etc.
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
Congratulations on a very nice doka! Would love to see photos of the inside, the engine conversion, etc.

Thanks! No pics of the engine right now, but here are some of the interior. It's got the rubber molded floor mat throughout, and in the rear which I love. Who likes carpet in a truck anyway?
The interior is the one part I have already started working on. It had basket weave panels when I got it, and I promptly ripped those out (they're up on the classifieds if that's your style).

I've got the go-westy ABS panels installed in the front now, and I designed a panel in CAD for the rear passenger door that I had cut out of ABS at send-cut-send. That should be here in the mail next week.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ABS panel 3d render

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Love it. The ABS looks really nice with the paint scheme. Are you going to keep the Army theme when you repaint?

I am looking for ways to sound proof my doka more. I've seen some photos on the web of a pleated panel mounted to the rear bulkhead around the window. Very nice and clean, and adds a bit of insulation. Any thoughts or plans there?
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

just for info...

my Doka has a Vindic canopy and the Hahn struts on the rear hatch went bad. I found a company that you can order new ones by your own configuration. Hahn Gasfedern is now part of Stabilus.
https://www.gasspringsshop.com/
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

smithprocess wrote:
tarandusVDub wrote:

Thanks! No pics of the engine right now, but here are some of the interior. It's got the rubber molded floor mat throughout, and in the rear which I love. Who likes carpet in a truck anyway?
The interior is the one part I have already started working on. It had basket weave panels when I got it, and I promptly ripped those out (they're up on the classifieds if that's your style).

I've got the go-westy ABS panels installed in the front now, and I designed a panel in CAD for the rear passenger door that I had cut out of ABS at send-cut-send. That should be here in the mail next week.

ABS panel 3d render

Very nice. How about some details on the molded rubber. Where did you sourse them and ballpark $$$? I like the idea of them instead of carpet.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

That is a factory rubber interior, they are hard to come by in good shape and expect to pay a few hundred for it.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
That is a factory rubber interior, they are hard to come by in good shape and expect to pay a few hundred for it.

Did not know there was an option like that, it's a very good idea.
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

jAndrew wrote:
syncrodoka wrote:

Yeah, it is the factory rubber option. Mine is in overall pretty decent shape, had a couple rips near the base of the shifter but I took care of those with some gorilla glue and you can't even tell they were there now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

smithprocess wrote:
jAndrew wrote:
syncrodoka wrote:

Yeah, it is the factory rubber option. Mine is in overall pretty decent shape, had a couple rips near the base of the shifter but I took care of those with some gorilla glue and you can't even tell they were there now.

Nice. Always plenty to learn, thanks.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

The interior of my 89 Syncro Doka was swapped out at some point by a PO. They replaced it with a Tristar interior that is badly worn.

The rear left panel was in the worst shap, just crubling really at the places they screwed it in. It was covered with headliner material.

Trying to find out what the panel looked like originally, and what was behind the panel. Right now there is that black rubbery stuff about a 1/2 inch thick.

I will redo it all a some point in the near future and most likely will get a quote for recovering and repairing the front seats as they are pretty good for me. Although getting seats from another vehicle might also be an option. I've read thru the seat threads and know plenty of choices exist. I have a Land Rover Discovery, an S model, without all the options of higher trim levels. It has the best seat cover material I've ever seen- tan leather that breathes nicly, wears well, and easy to clean. Might search for such material. I would love to source some original rubber instead of carpet, but that's another story.

Back on point- anyone with a Doka add some insulation in that rear panel? If so, what? Any photos of that pabel appreciated. Considering plastic as well. Somewhere I saw a thread about a CAD file of that panel to get it cut online but can't find it now. So thoughts on that panel?

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

jAndrew wrote:
Trying to find out what the panel looked like originally

It is s real deal door panel with an armrest and ashtray. You likely have a standard trim panel, not a tristar version as they are quite different.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
jAndrew wrote:
Trying to find out what the panel looked like originally

It is s real deal door panel with an armrest and ashtray. You likely have a standard trim panel, not a tristar version as they are quite different.

The one on the opening door is just like yours. But it makes sense since all the Tristars were 4 doors, right? I suppose a panel that looks the same without a door handle would be the correct way IF I maintain the rest of the Tristar look, which I may not. I like the pretty interiors but it is a work truck and not a show vehicle, just trying to see what a non Tristar interior originally looked like.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

This might or might not help. The PO installed partial Tristar interior in my doka, mainly the door cards and seat material. This is how he handled the non-4th door card, adding some things to fill in gaps. I think this card was a bit beat up anyway, so he used some creativity to make it look nice and tidy.

Happy to take more detailed photos if that is helpful.

jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
This might or might not help. The PO installed partial Tristar interior in my doka, mainly the door cards and seat material. This is how he handled the non-4th door card, adding some things to fill in gaps. I think this card was a bit beat up anyway, so he used some creativity to make it look nice and tidy.

Happy to take more detailed photos if that is helpful.

Thanks for those photos. Good ideas. Think I will make, or have made some simple panels when it is painted. Don't think I need armrest or ashtray for sure. I like clean and simple but perhaps ABS is too simple.

Last edited by jAndrew on Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

smithprocess wrote:
tarandusVDub wrote:

ABS panel 3d render

Please post up a photo of that rear door panel when you get it. What did you have planned for the rear driver's side panel?
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

jAndrew wrote:

Please post up a photo of that rear door panel when you get it. What did you have planned for the rear driver's side panel?

I'll get some photos of them. Been busy, just finished repainting the outside of the truck.

I designed a panel for the driver's side as well. I am happy to share both .dwg files. They are not quite perfect out of the laser cutter and did require a tiny bit of finessing with a file to get the edge profile just right when I installed them.

dwg files and laser cutter instruction files for which side the texture should go on are here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9pexnteefza8wj/doka_panels.zip?dl=0

jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

smithprocess wrote:
jAndrew wrote:

I'll get some photos of them. Been busy, just finished repainting the outside of the truck.

I designed a panel for the driver's side as well. I am happy to share both .dwg files. They are not quite perfect out of the laser cutter and did require a tiny bit of finessing with a file to get the edge profile just right when I installed them.

dwg files and laser cutter instruction files for which side the texture should go on are here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9pexnteefza8wj/doka_panels.zip?dl=0

That is looking GREAT! Thanks for the files as well, I am sure many of us will use them.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Wow that looks cool. Doka's are definitely the coolest looking version of the Vanagon.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Can you get that ABS sheet with a carbon fiber texture ? 🤔
smithproces that's a sweet color on your truck !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
Can you get that ABS sheet with a carbon fiber texture ? 🤔
smithproces that's a sweet color on your truck !

or you could just get it in actual carbon fiber! go here and then look at composites - https://sendcutsend.com/materials/

I use sendcutsend for everything I need laser cut - super fast shipping and always cheaper than my local laser cutting places.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Page 54 of 58

Jump to: