Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Syncro Doka thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

smithprocess wrote:
Crankey wrote:
Can you get that ABS sheet with a carbon fiber texture ? 🤔
smithproces that's a sweet color on your truck !

or you could just get it in actual carbon fiber! go here and then look at composites - https://sendcutsend.com/materials/

I use sendcutsend for everything I need laser cut - super fast shipping and always cheaper than my local laser cutting places.

Hey thanks ! Water jet my shop uses is down for two months so maybe these guys can help us get through that.
Hadn't considered actual CF because of cost but yeah maybe the upper half ish, above the arm rest. Go westy needs cut files for doka rear cabs I think too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Does all the black ABS look the same? Will the GoWesty front panels match the ones in the rear? Would be nice to have other colors besides black or gray as well.
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

jAndrew wrote:
Does all the black ABS look the same? Will the GoWesty front panels match the ones in the rear? Would be nice to have other colors besides black or gray as well.

they match the gowesty panels perfectly. I have yet to decide on hardware for mine though since my gowesty panels have the large plastic clips (which is pretty annoying, I'd rather have regular self-tappers) - trying to decide on hardware options to match that still and may just swap out all the gowesty plastic clips with new large-washer metal hardware

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

jAndrew wrote:

You might consider vinyl wrap for colors. Should be a breeze to lay down totally flat vinyl sheet. Easy to change too if you ever want to. Really wide range of colors and surface texture too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

smithprocess wrote:
jAndrew wrote:

they match the gowesty panels perfectly. I have yet to decide on hardware for mine though since my gowesty panels have the large plastic clips (which is pretty annoying, I'd rather have regular self-tappers) - trying to decide on hardware options to match that still and may just swap out all the gowesty plastic clips with new large-washer metal hardware

Looking good there. Thanks for the images. I didn't ask for a quote yet, mind sharing what you paid for the 2 rear panels? Doesn't really matter- still a good choice and cheaper than custom fabric.

I'm with you on those big clips and like the solid feel of some self tapping screws that look good.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
jAndrew wrote:

You might consider vinyl wrap for colors. Should be a breeze to lay down totally flat vinyl sheet. Easy to change too if you ever want to. Really wide range of colors and surface texture too.

Now that's a good idea that I hadn't thought of- pretty cheap and easy, thanks.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

jAndrew wrote:
Crankey wrote:
jAndrew wrote:

Now that's a good idea that I hadn't thought of- pretty cheap and easy, thanks.

Sure thing..but on 2nd thought that vinyl sticks best to smooth surfaces so if that ABS it's pebble texture it might not work as well as it should. Small samples are cheap on eBay so maybe try a test patch with it.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Make your own panels and use the smooth side. The front door panels you can swap left and right.
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Here are a few photos of my DoKa Syncro 16" heavenmobile. It's a 1990 model year, ordered by Vattenfall in Sweden to cruise transmission lines, probably. Has a cooler box, sandwich warmers, and a Eberspacher heater mounted into the rear pedestal. Rear locker only. Bought with Vindic and a Swedish tilt. 112 HP DJ engine. PO did a great job refurbing the interior with Tristar door cards and seat upholstery, and a passenger side slider window. Otherwise pretty much stock with all 16" parts intact. I've mainly worked on suspension, some clutch system replacements, installed a Big Shot, and replaced mustache bar and motor mounts due to rust.

smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
Here are a few photos of my DoKa Syncro 16" heavenmobile....]

That's a great one! and the sandwich warmer, come on! So cool. Love the blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Drove my doka for 5 months after I bought it, and then the rusty brake lines scared me too much and decided it was winter project time. Tearing the entire thing apart, powder coating, replacing suspension, new brake hard lines, new brakes, new radiator, stainless coolant lines, anti sway bar from t3, all new bushings, burley UCAs, front and rear lockers and decoupler, the works… long road ahead of me. But will be worth it.

Found a left side rear door in the UK that the owner was willing to cut out for me - and ups just dropped that off today.

Should I start a build thread?

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

smithprocess wrote:

Should I start a build thread?

Yes please! Popcorn

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

I have that section and door too. Would like to see a dedicated build thread.
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Yes, I would like to see the 4th door thread also. I will buy the next 4th door I see online so I can do mine someday also.
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Another YES! I too am looking for the frame to do the 4th door conversion. I have the door, and have seen photos of fabbing instead of buying a frame, but the frame seems a better way to go perhaps. If you can find one. If anyone looking for one finds two, let me know!!

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Here's a pictorial tutorial about 4th door install.
https://www.vw-tristar.com/tristar.airride.htm
Hope it helps.
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Kicked off a thread here - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9782537
vwolder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Just got my self a 1990 doka from the sweedish firebrigade. 112 hp original DJ engine. 177.000 km. And the best; rustfree!!

tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Wow! What a fantastic find! Beautiful doka with a neat history. Anything planned for it?
vwolder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official Syncro Doka thread! Reply with quote

Thanks

I think I will return the backend to the original.

It has rear diff lock and a decoupler. I would like to add the 3. knob as well if I can find a suitable front diff.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Page 55 of 58

Jump to: