Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winner - Idiot of the Year.... me!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Winner - Idiot of the Year.... me! Reply with quote

Was working on the Westy ('84) in preparation for our yearly trek to FloydFest http://atwproductions.com/index.php?pr=ffhome and long story short, started the van to back up a few feet to access an AC connection, didn't get it all the way into park when I shut her off and my wife's beloved Esmerelda drifted into a tree, open hatch first.

The good new is I managed to jump in and pull the e-brake fast enough that she didn't hit the tree extremely hard, but hard enough to bend in the lower lip of the hatch and tweak it out of shape. It might be repairable, but that's a lot of bondo.

Two questions: What year rear hatches will fit, and does anyone know of one/have one within a couple hours of Morgantown, WV?

BTW, I was doing a Dometic cleaning/fan replacement. Although I had no luck in getting it to run off propane since we bought her (two years ago), after cleaning out all the lines the fridge fires up first light. I let it run last night and woke up this morning to two cold #9's and some very tiny ice cubes. Sweet!
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! that sucks man. Rear hatches are rear hatches...basically. Rear wiper/washer, big vw emblem (on later vans), and power locks were all options. But! the door is the same across years.

Past: 1985 Sunroof GL, 2wd, Subaru 3.3L, manual trans, resprayed to Diamond Silver L97A
MSmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProvoCyclist wrote:
Ouch! that sucks man. Rear hatches are rear hatches...basically. Rear wiper/washer, big vw emblem (on later vans), and power locks were all options. But! the door is the same across years.

Thanks for the info... found one in a local wrecking yard ('86 Westy) but they want $225... seems kinda steep, but it is supposedly pristine.

I plan on repainting next year (a little seam rust behind rear tires, but mainly from PO's craptastic respray) but for now I was just going to rattle can the new hatch if I can find out who mixes up custom spray.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Msmyth,
You might win the prize this year but I won it a few years ago for backing a Nissan pickup with tailgate down into a steel post, with similar results. Metal shouldn't bend that easily. Some award, right?
Harp7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSmyth wrote:

I plan on repainting next year (a little seam rust behind rear tires, but mainly from PO's craptastic respray) but for now I was just going to rattle can the new hatch if I can find out who mixes up custom spray.

http://www.paintscratch.com
tozovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harp7 wrote:
MSmyth wrote:

http://www.paintscratch.com

These guys ROCK. My Savannah Beige Metallic is a PERFECT match.

'83 1.6TD
DX 5 Speed
"Whistler"
www.sinisterbikes.com
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! You guys want a hot cup of stupid? With sugar? Not only did I crunch my rear hatch, I totaled my mountain bike to boot. There's a large blind spot behind the cabinets that is just large enough to hide a small tree from all mirrors and windows.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My replacement hatch was $75 and in good shape, though I had to move the wiper/washer unit over and change the color from white to two-tone brown.

The paint I got from http://www.paintscratch.com/apple.html was a dead match but it look me a long time to find an accurate paint code for my two tone Wolfsbug colors, as the under-dash tag was gone. Some colors are really close. Don't trust the paint chips on their site as viewed, even on a well calibrated monitor. Even with my rattle-can application, though, the final job was perfect.
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MootPoint wrote:
Not only did I crunch my rear hatch, I totaled my mountain bike to boot.

We were sitting on the porch at Baked in Telluride a while ago and watched in horror as some poor guy in a van (not a VW) backed into a telephone pole and accordianed 3 bikes. We were all screaming at him to stop and he just kept going. It was pretty painful to watch.
MSmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MootPoint wrote:
Ha! You guys want a hot cup of stupid? With sugar? Not only did I crunch my rear hatch, I totaled my mountain bike to boot. There's a large blind spot behind the cabinets that is just large enough to hide a small tree from all mirrors and windows.

My replacement hatch was $75 and in good shape, though I had to move the wiper/washer unit over and change the color from white to two-tone brown.

The paint I got from http://www.paintscratch.com/apple.html was a dead match but it look me a long time to find an accurate paint code for my two tone Wolfsbug colors, as the under-dash tag was gone. Some colors are really close. Don't trust the paint chips on their site as viewed, even on a well calibrated monitor. Even with my rattle-can application, though, the final job was perfect.

Hokay, I feel a little better... I didn't hurt my bike in my Forrest moment, but I did kill a bird feeder in the tree I hit.

Checked out the "pristine" hatch. Yeah, right. Looked like a rusty waffle cone so I'm still looking for a good one.
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a better one. A coworker got home from a long mountain bike ride, hit the garage door opener, and drove right in. Wrecked his bike, the Yakima roof rack, the rain gutters on his car, the garage door, and the header on the garage. What a mess. I have backed into things with my VW vans in the past, it is tough to see things down low.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are making me feel better with every post. I thought only I did s**t like this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: One Suggestion... Reply with quote

Put a wide-angle Fresnel or prism lens in your rear window, such as this one:

http://fresnel-lens.com/wide-angle-rear-window-lens.php

I've had one on Winston, and if I can SEE it--which in daylight is VERY easy--I can see tailgaters, obstacles, further down the road, all sorts of things. Here's a picture of the one in Winston:

Stays in place with just a little water.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: