Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wind direction affect oil temperature?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Wind direction affect oil temperature? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Ok, thanks. You must have more clearance than I do at the firewall. There would not have been room on mine for lines between the body and that firewall tin.

Here's a pic that shows the firewall tin vs the back seat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oprn wrote:

I see you have an extra oil cooler too. Many of us are just running the stock one. That changes the picture too.

The oil cooler was given to me for free. I bought the thermostat and added it. It supposedly comes on at 180* F. which 95% of the time I never get close to seeing. I ran the buggy for a few months with it disconnected and never saw higher oil temps in any of the logs I took. I've been fighting low oil temps ever since I had the AE engine case built. I do run it when I go to California but as mentioned this year I don't have oil temp problems and could probably eliminate it. If I ever had oil temp issues I could always add a fan but there is no need at this time.

oprn wrote:

On gearing, was told this Buggy was built on a '73 chassis, the pan # and the engine # confirmed that so I assumed that I also had the 3.88 final drive but... it is a swing axle (from Mexico?) so... who knows? Any hoo, I'm at 2900 rpm at 60 mph with 26" rear rubber. If the tach can be trusted...

Also, I am running 41* BTDC at that speed and 15.5 to 16 AFR for just a hair under 30 mpg. (Imperial gallons)

According to my trans calc.....26 inch tire and 2900 rpm gives 61.38 mph with a 4.12 ring and pinion. That is the same gearing I have with my 67 stock geared transmission.

oprn wrote:

I like 60 mph too. As you say much faster and these short wheel based rear heavy cars become much more of a handful. All good at higher speeds on a new road but older rougher ones really bring out the bump steer and tendency to ride the ruts. On a good road 70 mph is just fine. As for going nowhere fast - I'm retired now... Very Happy

It's not that they are a handful....my buggy is stable at any speed and it's been tested to over 100 mph. It's just that it's a very neutral steering....It goes where you point it......it does not go back to center like most cars do.
For me .....having driven it over 70,000 miles...it's not really a problem. With the power it puts out I can count on one hand the people that have driven it besides me. Only one drove it without me in the car and that was my Son. No one else drives it without me in the buggy if they drive it at all.

oprn wrote:

With your set up then you are cruising right at crossover. That's awkward! No rolling on the throttle for a quick pass, you need to drop a gear.

You don't understand....there is no shifting down at anything over 55 mph. Anything over 2500 rpm it will give you 4-6 lbs. boost as soon as you give it full throttle. On a major grade it might not accelerate but on flat land it needs no shifting to pass anything.....of course...if you do shift down it's go time.
Most times I shift with the VW speedo....that is at 3000 rpm......if per chance I need a bit more go I can shift at 3500 rpm and it's a whole different animal.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Wind direction affect oil temperature? Reply with quote

On my Buggy that tin was tight against and overlapped in that area cutting off any air that might want to come over the transaxle.

Thanks for the info on the transaxle. It is coming out this winter to put a late Beetle IRS transaxle in which I suspect is 3.88. It has the singe side cover and doesn't appear to have been messed with. Not sure what RPMs that will give me but I am hoping for a bit better fuel economy.

Yes I misread the bit about boost, it sounded like your boost was not coming on until 3000 rpm. All good then.

As for the way these cars handle, the steering is quick, the wheelbase short, have more that their fair share of bump and roll steer and they are highly rear weight biased. They are not an ideal car for higher speeds. Bumps, cross winds and ruts on the road throw them around plain and simple. Maybe I am spoilt having driven a Super Beetle, Rabbit, several Jettas and 944s extensively and these Buggies have nowhere close to the road holding ability that I am used to. Yes mine tops out at 95 mph and I have had it up there several times too. I would never attempt that on a rough highway or in gusty conditions. They are a bit squirrely is the kindest way to describe them.

These Buggies as much as we love them have limitations that demand respect if we want to see our grandchildren. I have no delusions about that!
Luftwagen 2180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wind direction affect oil temperature? Reply with quote

I'm out driving on my route 66 trip now and the weather is 70-80+ but we're only going 55-60 on the route. With my heat shield on the j tubes the oil temp is 170-180. Even on the first few hours on the interstate it never got over 210, lower than before. When we I get home I want to do another fan inlet temperature test. See what it is at 5 MPH intervals starting at 55 up to where I'm concerned about getting caught. See if there is a magic speed that the temperature starts to spike. Doing it with my heat shield off. Maybe the fan gets to a point where it sucks enough air to start pulling the heat of the j tubes.

I've got wide front tires and adapter plates and I've never noticed handling issues at high speeds. At 80mph it handles as well as my 2017 Elantra. The only alignment I've ever done was by John Muir's idiot book. Since I put on the 255/70 rear tires, I do get some over steer when cornering really hard. However I prefer the lower engine revving at highway speeds.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Wind direction affect oil temperature? Reply with quote

Thanks for the data Luftwagen 2180!

As for road holding at speed, I have owned a number of standard Beetles over the years and they too were not the best at speed so shorten them up and make them even lighter on the front and you cannot expect an improvement! Part of my issues may be the short tires on the front and maybe a rebuild of the steering box would help too but no you would not put a novice driver in this thing and turn him loose at 80 mph!

Just for kicks I should put a set of 15" x 26" tires on the front and take it for a zip.
Luftwagen 2180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Wind direction affect oil temperature? Reply with quote

So back from my trip and tried the last test that I can think of. Had lots of time to think about it driving through Texas and New Mexico. On my trip the oil temp usually stayed around 210" or a little less. That was a little lower than usual for me. Especially with the ambient usually 90" or better. It did hit just over 220" coming into Phoenix pulling up a long grade at 206" ambient. TOO HOT! Even my rear view mirror fell off. My road speed was typically about 63 MPH, the wife's car has cruise control. This is with the heat shield on #1 J tube next to the head.

Last week after I was home I ran another test with the shield off and the thermometer mounted in the direct path between #1 J pipe and the fan intake again. 9" space between the 2. I was thinking that higher RPM's would effect the temp. However at 60, 65, 70 and 75 MPH the air temp was always about 10-12" above ambient. The wheel well area on my Buggy isn't as open as some, so I'm thinking that the side wind wouldn't have as much effect either.

At 65MPH my engine speed is 3,000 RPM which according to VW specs means it's moving 21 cuft/second. Smaller tires=higher RPMs=more heat=more air through the fan I would think. I'm thinking that I'll keep my heat shield on #1 on this exhaust and whatever I will use in the future.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: