Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

D-Jet PhD Sticky. Newbies Need Not Enter. Advanced FI Tuning
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Keith Park
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: D-Jet PhD Sticky. Newbies Need Not Enter. Advanced FI Tuning Reply with quote

I also agree with Bob, I need to get into the distributor, it starts into advance right off idle and is jumpy with that transition. Maybe Friday Ill have a chance to get the distributor straightened out. I want no play in those springs right? so the weights are held closed until centrifugal force starts the advance.

with the stock engine, I know it was running rich, with the amount of towing I did I figured run it rich and don't worry about it, yea the 1200 and 1800 RPM giggle was there on occasion but with a low HP engine and heavy flywheel drivability was OK but far from optimum. I did get 165K out of that engine! The 2056 in there now is definitely running rich off the line, I swapped in the 049 MPS spare that I have and tuned with the engine when I first started all this years ago, its leaner off the line and tracks better, so Im going to do a small outer move of the inner stop tonight and see if that leans things out to where it should be for idle and light throttle conditions. Once I have the right TB on there with all the advance/retard hooked up properly, the Dcell hooked up properly, the dist tight Ill noodle with the outer stop and
see if it makes a difference, and if not, we'll see what ive got wrong as to why its not more touchy with off the line performance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: D-Jet PhD Sticky. Newbies Need Not Enter. Advanced FI Tuning Reply with quote

Keith Park wrote:
I also agree with Bob, I need to get into the distributor, it starts into advance right off idle and is jumpy with that transition. Maybe Friday Ill have a chance to get the distributor straightened out. I want no play in those springs right? so the weights are held closed until centrifugal force starts the advance.

with the stock engine, I know it was running rich, with the amount of towing I did I figured run it rich and don't worry about it, yea the 1200 and 1800 RPM giggle was there on occasion but with a low HP engine and heavy flywheel drivability was OK but far from optimum. I did get 165K out of that engine! The 2056 in there now is definitely running rich off the line, I swapped in the 049 MPS spare that I have and tuned with the engine when I first started all this years ago, its leaner off the line and tracks better, so Im going to do a small outer move of the inner stop tonight and see if that leans things out to where it should be for idle and light throttle conditions. Once I have the right TB on there with all the advance/retard hooked up properly, the Dcell hooked up properly, the dist tight Ill noodle with the outer stop and
see if it makes a difference, and if not, we'll see what ive got wrong as to why its not more touchy with off the line performance.

Make a note of my distributor tech details. I will post a link later.
For most other systems like carbs or L-jet....doing the odd little things may make no difference. But with D-jet.....because ANY little ignition timing, advance, vacuum change....and bit of variation or sloppiness.......can cause a minor running change.....which causes a vacuum signature change......which causes a fuel mixture change because tbe MPS is THAT sensitive.......there are some tweaks I have found tbat REALLY go a long way toward making D-jet idle timing....more stable....and therefore allow much tighter tuning of the MPS.

These are:

1. Take the excessive slack out from between the breaker plates at the small hook finger and spring ball.

2. Polish the glide ring between the breaker plates.

3. Remove axial play between all shaft parts. This may mean re-shimming between the drive dog and body, it may mean reshimming between trigger points cam and distribito body, checking that the trigger point cam is not chatter on the shaft and its locating lug and if necessary put a shim under the snap ring that holds the points cam to the upper shaft to get rid of axial and radial play.

4. Switch to a pertronix module. This actually makes a much more stable idle with D-jet.....only noticable when points get worn or carbonized....but it makes a difference. I also have a whole page of details to check and correct for points modules. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith Park
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: D-Jet PhD Sticky. Newbies Need Not Enter. Advanced FI Tuning Reply with quote

sounds good, Please post that link, im planning on doing the distributor
tomorrow and if its running well enough I may pull it up on the highway for an hour or so to make a camp run with it and see how it does.

moved the inner stop on the MPS out slightly, its less rich under very light throttle now but still too rich, its "I can smell it" rich. Ill try another small adjustment tonight. How hard a vacuum should the MPS hold? My diaphragm looks good and the assembled nose section seems OK but it has a small leak somewhere, it wont "hold" vacuum. Should there be a paper gasket on BOTH sides of the diaphragm or just the atmospheric side?

Thanks,

Keith
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: D-Jet PhD Sticky. Newbies Need Not Enter. Advanced FI Tuning Reply with quote

Keith Park wrote:
sounds good, Please post that link, im planning on doing the distributor
tomorrow and if its running well enough I may pull it up on the highway for an hour or so to make a camp run with it and see how it does.

moved the inner stop on the MPS out slightly, its less rich under very light throttle now but still too rich, its "I can smell it" rich. Ill try another small adjustment tonight. How hard a vacuum should the MPS hold? My diaphragm looks good and the assembled nose section seems OK but it has a small leak somewhere, it wont "hold" vacuum. Should there be a paper gasket on BOTH sides of the diaphragm or just the atmospheric side?

Thanks,

Keith

Here is the link to the breaker plate tech thread...and there is a LOT of good feedback from other people in this thread about various items.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=686352

One thing that was not in there...is that with age the shims between the drive dog and distributor body can wear along with teh distributor body. The vertical/axial slop becomes excessive. This is no issue on most distributors...but its an issue with D-jet because of the trigger cam riding up and down with it and chattering.

The issue is that...the trigger points are held in place with a small pin or lug that is mounted on the underside of the spring/weight plate. It slots into a machined notch in the top of the trigger points cam. That is all that locates it.

Vertical or axial slop in the shaft causes up and down chattering between the trigger cam and the locating lug/pin. Over time this causes the lug/pin to wear out the machined slot and you get all kinds of funk in the injection timing signal.

I have found that ...and this is going off memory...that no more than about .005" to .008" of slack are needed between the drive dog and the distributor body with 1-2 shims between them. And that is with a distributor heated to about 300* F. You want to make sure it has about .005" total slack when hot so that oil can get between the parts. Anything else is excessive for a D-jet distributor.

The MPS should hold vacuum indefinitely. It could be the rubber square profile 0-ring between the two body halves...it could be the o-rings between the adjusting screws on the copper diaphragm.

I will have to check one when I get home but I believe there is only one paper gasket.

The MPS MUST hold vacuum. This could be a big chunk of your problem.

OK....lets get some terminology straight between us..... Very Happy

When you say you moved the inner stop....which screw was that?

The INNER stop is the ring surrounding the very center screw that you adjust with the hollow hex key.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes....if you move the inner stop ring "OUTWARD"...it allows the armature rod at idle (max vacuum) ...to move farther into the coil. This makes it leaner at idle....but allows a farther THROW outward of the armature rod and diaphragm combo...so you get a RICHER pulse when you just crack the throttle.

Ray
Keith Park
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: D-Jet PhD Sticky. Newbies Need Not Enter. Advanced FI Tuning Reply with quote

Yes, inner stop, hex key...
I moved it out just a bit, idle is still rich but a bit less so, and my richness is mainly really light throttle, just off no throttle at all when cruising, as I open the throttle more it leans to the 12-13 range, as the RPMs go up it goes thru the 13-14 range.

so for a rich very light throttle should I move it in or out, or look for the problem elsewhere? Idle is still rich....

if the 049 Pressure sensor I have holds vacuum is there ANY reason I shouldn't use that one in an 037 based system? if so should I reverse that
spacer as you had mentioned earlier?

Thanks

Keith
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: D-Jet PhD Sticky. Newbies Need Not Enter. Advanced FI Tuning Reply with quote

Keith Park wrote:
Yes, inner stop, hex key...
I moved it out just a bit, idle is still rich but a bit less so, and my richness is mainly really light throttle, just off no throttle at all when cruising, as I open the throttle more it leans to the 12-13 range, as the RPMs go up it goes thru the 13-14 range.

so for a rich very light throttle should I move it in or out, or look for the problem elsewhere? Idle is still rich....

if the 049 Pressure sensor I have holds vacuum is there ANY reason I shouldn't use that one in an 037 based system? if so should I reverse that
spacer as you had mentioned earlier?

Thanks

Keith

Other than spacer position they are largely the same MPS.

The issue with excessive enrichment with VERY slight throttle is also a symptom of the outer full load stop being out too far.

You can usually xlean and reseal the square o-ring with a very fine smear of RTV.
Tangerine racing has diaphragm kits with a new large o-ring. Maybe they will sell you just tje large o-ring.

Sorry Im running late tryjng yo get the TB out today. Ray
Keith Park
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: D-Jet PhD Sticky. Newbies Need Not Enter. Advanced FI Tuning Reply with quote

thanks for getting that out Ray, I certainly don't expect a long response several times a day anyway. One thing I have this time around with this engine is TIME. I don't HAVE to take the car on any long trips if it isn't ready,
and mechanically the motor seems fine at this point.

I screwed the outer stop in a half turn (this leaves is out a half turn from
fully in) and no change. Took it up on the highway and it just seems to track backwards, at the same RPM (3200) on the highway the farther down the pedal goes the more LEAN the mixture gets, unless you really floor it then it richens up. its in the low 14's under say 50% throttle and the high 11's under very light throttle. Odd......

I sprayed some gumout around the MPS to look for a vacuum leak and nothing showed up, so its a small leak but the 049 holds vacuum and maybe Ill run with that one instead. I did try the RTV on the seal and that didn't work with this one.

One question, I heard knocking and pinging under heavier throttle on the highway, BUT... the ignition at this point was intermittent as the Dcel valve
was shorting the coil terminal, could ratty intermittent ignition cause knocking and pinging or should I back off the timing a couple degree's? its at the stock 28 currently.

Thanks

Keith
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: D-Jet PhD Sticky. Newbies Need Not Enter. Advanced FI Tuning Reply with quote

Keith Park wrote:
thanks for getting that out Ray, I certainly don't expect a long response several times a day anyway. One thing I have this time around with this engine is TIME. I don't HAVE to take the car on any long trips if it isn't ready,
and mechanically the motor seems fine at this point.

I screwed the outer stop in a half turn (this leaves is out a half turn from
fully in) and no change. Took it up on the highway and it just seems to track backwards, at the same RPM (3200) on the highway the farther down the pedal goes the more LEAN the mixture gets, unless you really floor it then it richens up. its in the low 14's under say 50% throttle and the high 11's under very light throttle. Odd......

I sprayed some gumout around the MPS to look for a vacuum leak and nothing showed up, so its a small leak but the 049 holds vacuum and maybe Ill run with that one instead. I did try the RTV on the seal and that didn't work with this one.

One question, I heard knocking and pinging under heavier throttle on the highway, BUT... the ignition at this point was intermittent as the Dcel valve
was shorting the coil terminal, could ratty intermittent ignition cause knocking and pinging or should I back off the timing a couple degree's? its at the stock 28 currently.

Thanks

Keith

Ok....a couple of things.....

1. The outer stop should never be moved more than 1/10th of a turn at a time. When you get close to where its correct adjustment will be.....the range of turn between to little and too much....will be within 1/4 to 1/5th of a turn. And whenever you pass the correct range.....it will either run very poorly or the adjustment will seem to have no effect..........that is IF the rest of the MPS and engine are set up correctly and READY for you to be adjusting the outer full load stop.

Keep in mind.....the outer full load stop has no effect on your baseline fuel mixture....unless its grossly misadjusted inward. In the case you likely will not be able to start the engine.

Also.....in all my years of working on D-jet....I have found maybe two engines that actually were configured to be able to use an outer full load stop setting of only 1/2 turn outward. That is absolute bare minimum.

You also have to keep in mind. When you are starting the engine.....the diaphragm plate has no vacuum on it in the first 2-3 seconds. It has some spring tension on it from the aneroid chamber and armature spring pushing it outward......but its technically kind of at a neutral position.
If you are setting up an MPS that is way off.....like most of the rebuilds.....the best way to sdt them just to be sure the engine will start at all.....is with engine turned off......screw in the outer stop until it just barely touches the flange on the copper plate. Then back it out about 1/3 turn.

What this translates too....generally......is once the engine starts and vacuum is established and the copper diaphragm is then pulled inward.......the actual position of the outer full load stop will usually be between 5/8 turns and 3/4 turns. The difference being the position of that spacer ring inside.

2. Decel valve shorting the coil terminal? Do you have an automatic transmission? If not.....use a manual/vacuum decel valve or disconnect it. The electric decel valve was a pain in the ass. Not only do you have to adjust the air volume....which I cannot remember if that is even adjust that....but you also have to adjust the vacuum trigger valve sensitivity.

Yes....ratty ignition timing can cause intermittent lean/rich spots.

Ray
Keith Park
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: D-Jet PhD Sticky. Newbies Need Not Enter. Advanced FI Tuning Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have been more descriptive, Im using a stock T3/4 decal valve its just attached to the MPS bracket and the whole thing is laying on top of the engine at the moment so I can get at the nose to adjust it and it slipped in next to the coil.

Ive got almost a quarter turn OUT of the inner stop now and while it SEEMS to be tracking better at very light throttle, it still has a rich spot just off closed throttle, the thing that bothers me is as I remember and as you pointed out, that inner stop is VERY sensitive and I seem to have moved it quite a lot with only a small change.

Im not really ready to tweak the outer stop till I get the TB and Dcel valve hooked up, but if you point out that its sweet spot is very narrow Ill spend some time with this once Im ready, its not bad now... but there is some throttle response that could be improved.

unrelated question, right now I have the AAR closed, so it wont muddy up
observations if it sticks on a bit or leaks inconsistently, and currently I have an L jet one on there as its adjustable, did these work well enough that I can use it out of the box (as its not adjustable) or should I retain the L jet unit
where I can adjust how much air it flows during cold warmup?

Thanks

Keith
Keith Park
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: D-Jet PhD Sticky. Newbies Need Not Enter. Advanced FI Tuning Reply with quote

OK, I rebuilt the distributor. It really wasn't all that bad but I paid special attention to the areas in the article that I should, the only thing that I did that really might have changed something is tighten up on the initial
advance spring by bending the tab out just a bit, maybe getting the advance to kick in just a bit later, as it was starting pretty much right off idle.

Well...

I really screwed SOMETHING UP! Starts, wont idle, ran REALLY lean, popping back, I was able to set the timing, that appears to work, it is advancing as it should, but Its not drivable, NO power. I tried both MPS's, same issue... I richened It up a full turn, now the AFR reads OK mixture but still, no idle, no power.

What could I have possibly done?

Checked the firing order, that's OK, I don't think it would run if I switched 2 anyway or it would be rich... I did move the trigger points a bit as they are on the elongated holes... still, it shouldn't be THAT sensitive to that. Both contacts are closing, so they appear OK.

Timing is advancing
Forced it rich
No wires appear off... could delaying the advance a bit cause this drastic a reaction? or moving the trigger points over a smidge?

I did try bending the tab back just a bit, no improvement

???

Keith
Keith Park
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: D-Jet PhD Sticky. Newbies Need Not Enter. Advanced FI Tuning Reply with quote

Had #2 and #4 plug wires crossed, still reads 1234 when you do that but after stepping back, serenity now, the frame of mind changes and allows
logic to take over more for troubleshooting.

Still Embarassed

Timing looks more stable now, bucking is still there but seems better, stumble off the line that could be the outer stop, wont mess with that till
I have the vacuum adv hooked up

retarded the timing to 26, to prevent pinging, road trip today... we'll see how she does on the highway.

Keith
Keith Park
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: D-Jet PhD Sticky. Newbies Need Not Enter. Advanced FI Tuning Reply with quote

OK, after some highway miles Ive settled on stock timing, 28 full mech adv,
and it seems to run well on the highway with the AFR between 13 and low 14's, although that seems a bit lean, head temps are 250-275, and gas mileage on the trip I just took to PA is 23.1 all highway at 70. that seems a bit TOO good, I recall it ran about 22 before on this engine, am I a bit lean with that mileage in a Squareback? heck! the stock motor didn't do much better...
got the outer stop adjusted so no hesitation off the line, Dcell valve is hooked up.
Problem is, in town, is 15-16MPG when I think it should be 17. Big theme now is TOO RICH under light throttle, even on the highway, but on the highway your usually under enough throttle to lean it out to where it should be. The system doesn't seem to track properly, almost backwards, the lighter the throttle the richer it is, the heavier the throttle the leaner it gets. Not sure how to adjust this kind of a problem.

When off the gas decelerating, its MEGA rich, I mean... gas out the tailpipe rich, AFR of 9.9 on the highway when the throttle is closed. Not sure what is going on here, the fuel cutoff wire on the TPS is disconnected at the moment, #17.

Also, even with a tight distributor the bucking is still there... and as it passes through the bad spots, 1200 and 1800 on decal, foot OFF the gas, it will from time to time just start bucking at these points as it passes thru them.
so what is really doing this, with NO throttle? Hmmmm....

So great highway car, gas hog around town with some bucking issues. Ill have to see what adding the vacuum advance does to these issues when the new TB arrives, Ive never had that working on this car.

Keith
Keith Park
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: D-Jet PhD Sticky. Newbies Need Not Enter. Advanced FI Tuning Reply with quote

Well, everything is in place now and connected up as it should be, the new TB does seem to help keep the super rich problem just off closed throttle to a smaller range, it is still there. If Im decelerating and there is still a little throttle on its super rich, as I put more on it gets leaner, if I drop the throttle completely it comes up leaner to a more reasonable range in the 12's. How do I eliminate that rich spot?

One thing I investigated was the inner stop in the MPS (inverted hex) I measured the original bad diaphragm from this 037 MPS that im using and found that the inner stop on the replacement diaphragm in It now was a FULL TURN inward too much! ( I think I can hear Ray's ears ringing).
Not sure how it got this way but I think it got moved WITH the mixture screw
when I was adjusting it. I took measurements and set it back to where the original was, and no real difference, I may still have it in too far, could this cause the rich spot right off no throttle?

Ray, you mention setting the inner stops up on molested MPS's with feeler gauges, yet mine has the stop right against the retaining plate with its opened up, where to you measure with the feeler gauges and what gap?
Id like to make sure that this inner stop is right before proceeding, or close anyway. Im NOT getting spikes lean, the opposite really. Also the whole range of throttle seems to get richer under lower throttle and leaner under heavier throttle TO A POINT, then when you really floor it the mixture goes back to a more reasonable 12's range.

Head scratching now....

Keith
Keith Park
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: D-Jet PhD Sticky. Newbies Need Not Enter. Advanced FI Tuning Reply with quote

OK, a nice 75% highway trip netted 22mpg, not bad, maybe even too good, so am I too worried about rich at small throttle openings? well... I think so.
When its warming up, the bucking is MUCH worse, and it richer during warmup so Im starting to think that the bucking is made worse or a result of running too rich at small throttle openings.

On the highway, its generally leaner the more the throttle is open, unless floored where it richens up a bit. BUT, when your at light throttle its very rich, unless you decelerate and close the throttle completely, THEN the TVS can be seen telling the ECU to cut fuel and it leans up into the 12's, IF the vacuum is high enough to do that.

Another clue... moving the inner stop anywhere makes no difference in the running, in my engine maximum vacuum is under high RPM deceleration, like on the highway, at idle its only 10-12 in Hg, BUT when a vacuum pump is hooked to the MPS as Ray has suggested a while back you CAN get the idle to lean up considerably, to the point of stalling but the engine never produces enough vacuum at idle to do this, no matter where the inner stop is set.

I re-adjusted the inner stop to where it was in the original 037 diaphragm.
Even on hard decal though, it never spikes lean beyond 12's in the AFR.

Boosted the timing to 30BTDC hoses off, I can see the vacuum adv working now and once warmed up, car accelerates and drives nicely, except for the bucking.

Somehow I need to lean it up under the lower throttle openings, get it track better, and I have a feeling that if I can get it a more reasonable AFR under those light throttle openings, my bucking will get better or go away.

Ideas on leaning up part throttle? how do I get the MPS to run leaner under the higher vacuum situations but NOT leaner under lighter vacuum (heavy throttle)?

Hmmm....

Keith
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: D-Jet PhD Sticky. Newbies Need Not Enter. Advanced FI Tuning Reply with quote

Keith Park wrote:
Well, everything is in place now and connected up as it should be, the new TB does seem to help keep the super rich problem just off closed throttle to a smaller range, it is still there. If Im decelerating and there is still a little throttle on its super rich, as I put more on it gets leaner, if I drop the throttle completely it comes up leaner to a more reasonable range in the 12's. How do I eliminate that rich spot?

One thing I investigated was the inner stop in the MPS (inverted hex) I measured the original bad diaphragm from this 037 MPS that im using and found that the inner stop on the replacement diaphragm in It now was a FULL TURN inward too much! ( I think I can hear Ray's ears ringing).
Not sure how it got this way but I think it got moved WITH the mixture screw
when I was adjusting it. I took measurements and set it back to where the original was, and no real difference, I may still have it in too far, could this cause the rich spot right off no throttle?

Ray, you mention setting the inner stops up on molested MPS's with feeler gauges, yet mine has the stop right against the retaining plate with its opened up, where to you measure with the feeler gauges and what gap?
Id like to make sure that this inner stop is right before proceeding, or close anyway. Im NOT getting spikes lean, the opposite really. Also the whole range of throttle seems to get richer under lower throttle and leaner under heavier throttle TO A POINT, then when you really floor it the mixture goes back to a more reasonable 12's range.

Head scratching now....

Keith

Sorry for the delay. I was in the process of moving.

So.....understand how the inner stop works. When you are at idle....max vacuum.....the aneroid chamber expands and the copper diaphragm is sucked inward.

Both of these drive the armature....inward into the induction coil...making it maximum lean.

This must be limited ....not only so you are not too lean....but because pushing the armature farther into the induction coil does NOT just make you leaner and leaner to the point of stalling. Yes.....it can do that.....but the big issue is that once tje armature reaches its maximum design penetration into the induction coil......it has no more effect. It does nothing more.

So.....if it goes in too far......it will take too much stroke to exit the coil and affect the incution field to the point where its adding enrichment. And 5he aneroid chamber and copper diaphragm only have so much stroke.

This leads to a dead spot and not enough enrichment.

So the inner stop is set up at the factory with an induction gauge....at a specified vacuum level.....for each induction coil. They are so uniformly built that the differences from coil to coil is very slight. They get set up to pretty much the same point for each application.

So if you are starting from scratch.....you can use a hook style feeler gauge.....think like spark plug gauges....through the keyhole plate opening.....to measure the gap between the inner stop bushing and keyhole plate of an unmolested MPS.

Also bear in mind....if you started with a 1.7L MPS...and are swapping the spacer ring to the other side of the diaphragm....that automatically moves the inner stop bushing closer or farther from the inner stop plate. So.....ince you move that spacer....you must automaticappy re-adjust the inner stop.....the main fuel mixture armature...and finally the outer full load stop.

So based on the above.....if the inner stop is set to not allow the armature to be pulled inward to its max correct/practical lean position.....you can be too rich to start with at onset of throttle opening. Ray
Keith Park
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: D-Jet PhD Sticky. Newbies Need Not Enter. Advanced FI Tuning Reply with quote

Thanks for answering, while you were busy Ive had some time to try a bunch of things and noodle with it.
My confusion with setting the inner stop is that with the MPS open, and android chamber out but the keyhole plate still in place the inner stop is already pressed against the keyhole plate. so I pulled apart an unmolested 007, this also has the inner stop right against the keyhole plate as well, there is no gap.

I know when the aneroid chamber is in place, and the unit closed that pushes or attempts to push the inner stop off the keyhole plate but then of course I cant access anything.

So am I actually measuring the distance between the washer on the diaphragm and the keyhole plate (ie, how much the inner stop is above the diaphragm washer? If so that wouldn't change moving the spacer around.

Im confused, should the inner stop NOT be against the keyhole plate with the unit apart?

Thanks

Keith
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: D-Jet PhD Sticky. Newbies Need Not Enter. Advanced FI Tuning Reply with quote

Keith Park wrote:
Thanks for answering, while you were busy Ive had some time to try a bunch of things and noodle with it.
My confusion with setting the inner stop is that with the MPS open, and android chamber out but the keyhole plate still in place the inner stop is already pressed against the keyhole plate. so I pulled apart an unmolested 007, this also has the inner stop right against the keyhole plate as well, there is no gap.

I know when the aneroid chamber is in place, and the unit closed that pushes or attempts to push the inner stop off the keyhole plate but then of course I cant access anything.

So am I actually measuring the distance between the washer on the diaphragm and the keyhole plate (ie, how much the inner stop is above the diaphragm washer? If so that wouldn't change moving the spacer around.

Im confused, should the inner stop NOT be against the keyhole plate with the unit apart?

Thanks

Keith

Sorry....I explained this poorly and glossed over tbe issue.....that you smartly caught.

When the pressure from the aneroid can and armature suspenaion springs is relieved.....like when you split the MPS case and pull it apart......yes....the inner stop will be up against the keyhole stop plate from the spring pressure of the copper diaphragm.

What you are measuring.....is how much stop is protruding.....meaning how much thread is protruding....from the boss on the hub of the copper diaphragm.

Really the proper way is to use a depth micrometer....buts its damn hard ro do....unless you have a dial depth micrometer with a skinny point....like one of these.

https://www.ebay.com/i/253644933702?chn=ps&ul_...57fff2154c

I have that exact one...and bought it used on ebay years ago in great shape and its been really a great tool to have.

To use a wire gauge....its really just a very close comparison. You place the foot of thr wire gauge down in the keyhole nsxt to the threaded boss....and check until you find how much thread is protruding.

Or.....if you are handy.....you can pull the copper diaphragm out.....and measure the height of the stop thread protruaion from the boss with a micrometer. Just remember when you replace it or swap to take into account the spacer shim difference. Ray
Keith Park
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: D-Jet PhD Sticky. Newbies Need Not Enter. Advanced FI Tuning Reply with quote

OK, got it. This is what Id done, when I first pulled apart this 037, I measured that distance that the inner stop protruded on the bad diaphragm with a micrometer and set the new diaphragm to that, this had been disturbed at some point but its back there now. I have the spacer on the cover side of the diaphragm on this 037, which is opposite the 007 I have, but really, doesn't this just change the pre-load of the diaphragm? if the spacer is on the cover side, the diaphragm is closer to the keyhole plate, if the spacer is on the plate side the diaphragm is closer to the cover, but the hub of the diaphragm is wherever the adjustments hold it too, between the inner and outer stop, so why would the inner stop setting change if your only changing the the location of the diaphragm outer lip and not the height of the keyhole plate?

Keith
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: D-Jet PhD Sticky. Newbies Need Not Enter. Advanced FI Tuning Reply with quote

Keith Park wrote:
OK, got it. This is what Id done, when I first pulled apart this 037, I measured that distance that the inner stop protruded on the bad diaphragm with a micrometer and set the new diaphragm to that, this had been disturbed at some point but its back there now. I have the spacer on the cover side of the diaphragm on this 037, which is opposite the 007 I have, but really, doesn't this just change the pre-load of the diaphragm? if the spacer is on the cover side, the diaphragm is closer to the keyhole plate, if the spacer is on the plate side the diaphragm is closer to the cover, but the hub of the diaphragm is wherever the adjustments hold it too, between the inner and outer stop, so why would the inner stop setting change if your only changing the the location of the diaphragm outer lip and not the height of the keyhole plate?

Keith

No...think about that. If the diaphragm is now .025" to .030" closer or farther from the stop plate...it now has a longer stroke.

While it does change the preload on the diaphragm....the preload is not important.

Understand that the diaphragm is only in contact with the keyhole plate...when you have the MPS apart and the tension of the aneroid and the armature suspension leaf spring are removed.

The copper diaphragm is not about spring tension. In fact the amount of spring pressure it generates is functionally worthless. Its about vacuum load multiplied by diaphragm area.

This is just like the diaphragm in a brake booster. The rubber diaphragm in brake booster has some small spring ability but has no real function by itself on braking pressure.

Add inches of vacuum to a large area of diaphragm and you have serious pressure multiplication. And...when you press the brake pedal and allow atmospheric pressure to blast into this vacuum chamber...or likewise on the MPS..crack the throttle and let atmospheric pressure come blasting into the MPS.....you get serious force multiplication.

In the case of the MPS....the vacuum multiplied by diaphragm area is serious pressure. At idle...it EASILY pushes the armature into the coil right up to the limit of the stop plate.

When you crack the throttle...atmospheric pressure slams the diaphragm plate outward...to the limit of the outer full load stop. The speed at which this happens during the outward stroke is what is key.....because once vacuum is equalized to near atmospheric in the MPS.....the diaphragm relaxes back.

This takes well under a second. You can see this function by removing the outer full load stop at idle...observing that with throttle closed the diaphragm plate is sucked inward.

Blip the throttle and hold it open..say even to 1200-1500 rpm....and you will the copper diaphragm flex outward for a split second and then flex back inward to a more neutral position.... in just a fraction of a second.

The key function of the diaphragm is that it increases the rate at which the stack up of aneroid chamber and armature moves out of the coil. It increases the SPEED/RATE of enrichment when cracking the throttle off the line....and in that split second gives just a little more enrichment than the aneroid chamber and armature can do only by themselves.

Oh..for anyone looking on that may not know what we are talking about measuring....here is a picture.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note that the distance or thread boss difference we are measuring is between the yellow lines on the left.

But...also be careful that whatever diaphragm you are swapping...also has the same thickness of flange shown on the right in red. There were some diaphragm plate differences over the years.

Ray
Keith Park
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: D-Jet PhD Sticky. Newbies Need Not Enter. Advanced FI Tuning Reply with quote

Ok, I THINK I have this in my head now, increased stroke.
One thing I didn't check was the Flange thickness on the 2 different diaphragms, the 007 was a bit different, had less pleats in it, Ill have to check that.

One thing Im going to try, just to see what happens, is swap in a 007 that I had with a bad diaphragm, I RTV'd the diaphragm up for a temporary repair but Im interested in seeing what the curve looks like with a long nose opposed to the short nose 037.
I appreciate the pix, my inner stop protrudes farther inward than the one in the pix.

Keith
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 19

Jump to: