Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Power off switch for stereo amplifier?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Power off switch for stereo amplifier? Reply with quote

All stereo gear in my van is powered off the house battery.

I have a 50 watt amp powering the front door speakers, and a powered subwoofer (Boss 600) under the driver seat.

When camping, it'd be nice to be able to power down one or both of these units so low volume tunes can be enjoyed while putting minimum drain on the battery.

Has anyone added a "power down the amplifier(s) when parked" type switch?
Can you tell us some details / share photos about how you wired it so even a 12 volt dumblefutz like me can understand?

Cheers!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dingchowping
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is it reasonable to assume from your description that the rear speakers are powered off the deck's internal amplifiers? How is the subwoofer's power on/off triggered? Separate trigger wire or does it sense the presence of an audio signal? If its the former then it would be simple to wire a switch into the remote turn-on lead from the deck. With the switch "on" the system will function as it does now. With the switch "off" whatever is hooked up to the remote turn-on lead will remain off.

TTFN,
Adam
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea Ding. I'm going to have to do that myself. On the couple of occasions that I've wanted to turn off my sub amp, I've just pulled the fuse from my aux panel behind the drivers seat. But I usually forget to put it back in and have to wait until I stop to have bass again. Dohh!
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ding, I think that's the answer.

There are several approaches to this, but yours seems the simplest.

Thanks, I'll give it a go!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a fog light switch off of ebay for 10 bucks and used that in the blank space in my dash. It powers down the sub when i dont want to use it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: