Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Wright Gearbox - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: rickie w
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: April 12, 2024
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Wright Gearbox - [email protected] Reply with quote

typically, a throw out bearing is a separate item, usually can be found with the clutch kits
cide1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Wright Gearbox - [email protected] Reply with quote

I'm wondering if I should expect a rebuilt transaxle to come with the end gear and fulcrum plates? I ordered a pro street from Wright for my bug, and it did not come with these, but I'm not sure what is normal here.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wright Gearbox - [email protected] Reply with quote

No, typically you are expected to re-use your side gears, fulcrum plates, axles, circlips, etc.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
MSCacioppo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Wright Gearbox - [email protected] Reply with quote

Wow the Greatest!!
I took my transaxle down to Rick for an exchange of totally stock 61 bug I have been restoring, I drove over 600 miles to purchase from this Rick!
GREAT TEAM!
I even ended up purchasing a stock zero time 40hp engine from him!
WOW WOW WOW I finally got them in my car, I can tell you the quality of this engine and tranny are PHENOMINAL!

The engine and tranny are the smoothest I have ever driven, turn key into the car all fired up and drove flawlessly and SUPER SMOOTH!

I am an old guy for a passion for my first love in Bugs! And what a great rebuilder!!

Very conscious and great operation!

Everyone is super helpful and Rick is phenomenally knowledgeable!
Not only is he talented on engine and tranny rebuilds he is a major restoration talent!

His Dad was certified VW guy from the old days! and is still active somewhere in Idaho rebuilding show cars for his clientele....Rick was born with a wrench in his hand with an artistic flair!
I would not even think twice about referring him or his shop!
Very Happy
seanpyle38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wright Gearbox - [email protected] Reply with quote

The only reason I complained about the T/O bearing is because I specifically asked him to install one one my new tranny. I informed Rick and he shipped one out with my rear engine tin. No harm no foul. Engine was installed in the car with the new tranny...no issues and both function perfectly.
dillon70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wright Gearbox - [email protected] Reply with quote

Just got my bus back today from Rick at The Wright Gearbox. This guy is legit!! I called multiple times to get info on his Summer Special and he answered the phone every time. Once we tweaked the deal with a few extra goodies, I gave him a deposit and the work began. He said he needed a week to build both the 1835cc motor and freeway flyer trans and then I could drop my bus off at his shop the next week and he would then need a week to do the install and tune.
Rick held to his plan and within two weeks to the day, I have a smile that won't quit. I even got to keep my OG motor.
I picked the bus up today and drove it 120 miles home and she didn't miss a beat Rick even called me later today to make sure all went well and gave me his cell number for future contact even after hours if I ever needed.

Thanks Rick, you take pride in your work brother and it shows!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dubskii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wright Gearbox - [email protected] Reply with quote

Let me start off by saying I am a very picky and annoying customer. Part out of ignorance and part that is just how I am . I ask a million questions, hang up the phone, think of a million more and call back to ask them. Rick endured this multiple times over the last year and every time he was willing to answer each question no matter how dumb they were (and believe me I had some dumb ones!). He truly knows his shit, explains why he is doing what he is doing and is a mechanic's mechanic! Our latest go around is a 2074cc, FF transaxle and the lowering of the rear end of my 57 Kombi.

From the looks to the power plant, this thing is bitchin'!

Special thanks to my man Rick Wright with Wright Gearbox in Riverside, Ca. I wouldn't hesitate to refer anyone to him. Dude is legit!
WTB Joe Heishman VW Arlington, VA License Plate Frame or Other Memorabilia
jeffgagnon Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wright Gearbox - [email protected] Reply with quote

I bought a 1914 about a month ago from Rick. I was in a tight timeframe, Rick came through for me and had it ready to ship quick as he told me. Got the engine, very well packed and secured on the pallet. Engine looked great on the pallet and even better in the bus. Few minutes after I had it installed it was running. Started up easy and sounded great with the vintage speed exhaust I hung on it. The coustomer in Wisconsin recived his bus and has been enjoying it. He states the engine starts up every time with no effort. He is happy and so am I with Rick. Thanks for the great service. I will deal with Rick again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yekekel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wright Gearbox - [email protected] Reply with quote

The Wright Gearbox has very poor customer service. I returned a core after delivery of a transmission. They didn’t contact me after they received it. When I called, I was told that the care was the wrong one. ( I accept this as I don’t know what was in the van). He told me he would advise me of any credit from parts from the core. I never heard from him again.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Wright Gearbox - [email protected] Reply with quote

I am lucky to own a pretty nice old April of 1959 Double-Cab. Since I initially had a pretty noisy split-case transaxle installed in the DC, a while back I thought I had better start to look for another transaxle to eventually swap out. About 18 months ago I contacted Rick Wright at "the Wright Gearbox" to see about having him rebuild an era-correct small-nut transaxle reduction box-to-reduction box. For a little back-story, a few years ago Rick rebuilt a freshened Oval Beetle split-case transaxle for my upcoming 1957 Beetle Kabriolett restoration and it turned out great (see earlier feedback). So about a year and a half ago I had him start on the Bus transaxle. He had to go through his stored cores to find one with a serial number close to the production date for the DC and would then start the process. Rick said that he went through five cores to find the best used internal parts to use and properly set-up the transaxle. And Rick said that he is the only one who rebuilds the split-case tranaxles, he builds them personally. Also I was impressed that this time they shipped this transaxle to me on a wide pallet and put axle nuts on the ends of the axles to protect the threads in transit, and improvement over my last rebuild. So good news, here is what finally arrived recently on a large pallet from UPS Freight!

And here is the special "transition" nosecone and hockeystick correct for my DC...

and here are the solid (seamless) axle boots...

... and the powder-coated axles tubes and reduction box haves.

This rebuild took quite a long time to complete and then ship, but luckily I wasn't really in a hurry, and I really wanted Rick to get this one right to replace my noisy transaxle. Frankly, I would have preferred that this took a lot less time, but I wanted his "quality" and his "warrantee" over speed of this transaction. Funny thing was, while waiting for Rick's rebuilt unit to be completed, my current transaxle in the DC was getting quieter and quieter the more I drove it. It is driving great and sounds much better now, not perfect but better, perhaps it was just a little tight and is now settling in. Anyway, the Wright Gearbox unit is finally completed and here, so for now I'll store it with the other Rick-built Beetle split-case unit and use it as needed in the future. It's nice to have a nice back-up unit in storage for this stock 36hp split-case Double-Cab. Thanks again to Rick, and I'm sure I'll be using him again for a back-up late '67 big nut transaxle for my Campmobile!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfanatic67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Wright Gearbox - [email protected] Reply with quote

yekekel wrote:
The Wright Gearbox has very poor customer service. I returned a core after delivery of a transmission. They didn’t contact me after they received it. When I called, I was told that the care was the wrong one. ( I accept this as I don’t know what was in the van). He told me he would advise me of any credit from parts from the core. I never heard from him again.

call him back Ricky is extremely busy and as a dealer of his he is very honest. If you call him he will take care of it.

SBS #74
52 Split Beetle
60 Panel
65 Notchback
More if my wife would let me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jg405i
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wright Gearbox - [email protected] Reply with quote

From what I have seen no way, No warranty. pop out of gear the first day. Ricky ask me what took me so long to call him, It took just over a year to complete the car.
my problems with his transmission, Very had shifting from 3rd to 4th never had that matter before jumping out of 4th under load never did that before.
His job was to replace the R&P. So u tell me.
noshorts_us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Wright Gearbox - [email protected] Reply with quote

I own a 67 bus I searched the samba called a few vendors and rick at wright gearbox and another employee treated me well worked with all my questions helped me understand what I was getting matched my needs exactly so I would not be disappointed after the install. I had my trans. shipped with the axles installed ready to bolt in . the time from the quote to the time received was spot on . the transmission is a little stiff to shift but it should work in after some travel time. I had no issues with this vendor and have referred him to several of my friends for help with their projects. I don't speed but my bus can do 65 easily and its nice to have first gear back. I will continue to recommend this vendor nice people and patient. mike New York Wink Very Happy
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wright Gearbox - [email protected] Reply with quote

86 Vanagon needed new tranny, so I researched many options and it came down to Wright for
price, reputation & warranty. I had a tight timeline and tranny was delivered right on time, &
although not packaged great (UPS cardboard box full of packing peanuts...really?) otherwise
it looked great. Installed, started putting miles on it right away & 4 days later went off on a
1600-mile road trip with absolutely no issues. Shifts great, sounds great & runs great. Cool

There was some miscommunication regarding the core return, but all worked out fine.
In retrospect, Rck was usually right there to answer the phone, but a few times I had to
leave a message & in those cases I never heard back so it was me doing all the calling.
Sure, I hope he's busy but remember part of the work is dealing with the people...!!!???

All told, I'd certainly recommend Wright for the quality of the work, but be prepared to
take the lead in communication. End of the day, I'm very happy with my Wright tranny.

- Dave

PS: Vanagon owners, don't be like me and forget to remove the spacer with your old reverse
light switch...it'll save you finding out weeks later your reverse lights have been flashing with
every shift & then searching for weeks to find the correct spacer to fix the issue
... Embarassed Rolling Eyes Laughing

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Wright Gearbox - [email protected] Reply with quote

Still awaiting my core return to be refunded back on my card. Sent my core back over a month ago. Tracking shows it was recieved. I called 2 weeks ago and was told it was there but they had not opened the box. Rick assured me it would be done the next days. Here I am still waiting for the refund. Also had Ricks cell from a previous parts transaction. Texted and again no response or refund. Very disappointed in the customer service side of this business
westyman71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wright Gearbox - [email protected] Reply with quote

Bought a rebuilt 3 rib for my 73 Westy.

Shipping was quick.

Transaxle worked perfectly. Nice and quiet, smooth shifting, like new.

Got my core deposit back in 2 weeks.

This is the second transaxle I have bought from Rick.

No issues either time.

Price was very good both times.

Thanks.
Husselst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wright Gearbox - [email protected] Reply with quote

Rick at Wright Gearbox has done all of the transmissions for my cars and 1 engine in 2016. Never had any issues with any product I get from him. Cant say enough good things about this guy and will be taking a transmission down there soon for my latest project. Very knowledgeable and will help you get what you need.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jg405i
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Wright Gearbox - [email protected] Reply with quote

He may have been good to you. I walk into his shop and talk to him about fixing my transmission he gave me to his flunk and fuck me it popped out of 4th gear and it had 4.12 r&p when I ask for a 3.88 I guess he thought I would not know so fuck this ricke wright pig that is y my boss would not say any thing good about him and I can say spend your money some place other than here . No Refunds and no waranty Jaime G from oceanside I fix it my self and if I can do it so can you y give your money to this guy so he can now step up his game with your money .
nynone4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Wright Gearbox - [email protected] Reply with quote

Has anyone bought from Wright in the last few months? Just curious on other's real recent experience with them. Thanks.
nynone4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wright Gearbox - [email protected] Reply with quote

nynone4 wrote:
Has anyone bought from Wright in the last few months? Just curious on other's real recent experience with them. Thanks.

Thanks to those that responded. Just wanted to see if my recent experience with Wright Gearbox had been shared by others.

Rick built an engine and gearbox for my ‘62 single cab previously - and after that being a fairly good experience, I decided to contact him about building a custom freeway flyer gearbox for my ‘70 doublecab with a taller fourth gear to allow for both highway driving as well as the additional power from an upcoming Subaru engine conversion. Rick was quick to call me and answer my questions after I placed an inquiry on his website. We agreed on what both of us felt should be the best box, as well as a price and timeline of “2-3 weeks” for completion and I sent him my payment.

That’s where the positive experience on this build ended unfortunately. Rick doesn’t respond to emails..And when I was finally able to reach him by phone 6 weeks after the money cleared my bank, he said “ yep, got all the parts now and should be shipping it in the next few days.”

After two plus months, the trans finally arrived. packed in a box full of packing peanuts. No paperwork. And Rick still hasn’t responded to a couple emails asking him to confirm the final her ratios that were selected in the build. It seems to look fine externally ( still haven’t had a chance to properly test it) but I did have to rob the clutch arm circlip from my old trans, as the arm came off in my hand when trying to assemble the clutch cable and nut due to the arm not being secured to the throw out bearing shaft.

So... buyer beware. Rick has had a good reputation in the past for quality gearboxes - but my experience this time has been less than positive..He I was quick to take my money - but communication of delays was non-existent as well as support so far after delivery.

Hoping the trans itself is a better experience than I’ve had with the builder.

The packing:

Trans itself (looks like there was a circlip on the clutch arm when the box was painted);

Clutch arm after coming off in my hand:

You can see where there must have been one there when the box was painted - but must have come off either prior to packing or in shipping (obviously not seated in the groove).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: