Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
Looks like you need to move the TS switch closer to the steering wheel. By loosening the TS switch from the column tube, sliding the switch to the rear.

If I lossen and move the TS switch closer to the steering wheel, wont the brass contact ring to far away?

If the brass contact ring is even with the TS switch, then you need to slide the entire column toward the steering wheel.

I'll be back at it again tomorrow and will give that a go Wink

thank you,

Lee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Sure no rush, but Is the brass ring even with the TS switch?
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

As of now the brass ring is even w/the TS Switch but if I slide the TS switch up towards the Steering wheel, wont that cause the brass ring to go deeper into the column? ....I'm probably thinking goofy here lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

As of now the brass ring is even w/the TS Switch but if I slide the TS switch up towards the Steering wheel, wont that cause the brass ring to go deeper into the column? ....I'm probably thinking goofy here lol

No, you are correct. Its probably due to having different years of parts mixed then. You will need to just get the correct years of parts together or have to experiment with which parts you can cludge or cut and weld together.
Probably a lot easier to just get the correct parts.

Looks like you need to adjust your brakes and then adjust your parking brake handle for five clicks to full lock. Parking brake handle looks like it is too high right now.

Do you have a thread on just your KG? If not, you should do one up!
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

No, you are correct. Its probably due to having different years of parts mixed then. You will need to just get the correct years of parts together or have to experiment with which parts you can cludge or cut and weld together.
Probably a lot easier to just get the correct parts.

Looks like you need to adjust your brakes and then adjust your parking brake handle for five clicks to full lock. Parking brake handle looks like it is too high right now.

Do you have a thread on just your KG? If not, you should do one up!

According to the PO, the parts are original however he's not the original owner so who knows. What I do know is, the steering wheel and horn ring are original with correct part numbers and complete. As forth the column and shaft go, not sure but w/the wheel being original, the odds of the shaft being original goes up...I like saying "original" Very Happy

I'll be playing w/it again tomorrow after work in hopes for success and will post up for sure!

Thanks for the tip on the E brake, haven't gotten there yet lol...but will soon.

You are correct, I should start a build thread, I may do that, thanks for the idea bud!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:

You are correct, I should start a build thread, I may do that, thanks for the idea bud!

Feel free to drop us a line when you do! Will be interested in reading it.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

When I see a turn signal switch that far away from the steering wheel, I would first try to reposition the column tube up higher in its rubber mounts. I did this on my 62 at one point - you can tell by the discoloration of the paint on the tube from where the rubber donut used to sit:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
When I see a turn signal switch that far away from the steering wheel, I would first try to reposition the column tube up higher in its rubber mounts. I did this on my 62 at one point - you can tell by the discoloration of the paint on the tube from where the rubber donut used to sit:

I was able to slide the colum and TS switch closer to the wheel. The shaft won't go any lower but the wheel and horn are original 60 Ghia parts for sure which leads me to think the shaft is probably original as well. However there still seems to be quite the gap between the TS switch the dash but unless I want to cut down the shaft and weld it, it's what it is.

I have the horn wiring all set just waiting for horns to be shipped as my original horns are dead n the water.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Oh, I think that looks pretty good now.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

This what my ‘60 looks like. It is an original and the horn works well. Measuring from the dash to the closest edge of the Ts switch I get about 18 mm or 3/4 of an inch. Between the steering wheel and the switch, clearance is about 2 mm.

BTW the 60-61 ts switches have a bit of a reputation for breaking at the stalk.Be aware of that weakness. Mine was broken when I bought my car. I was able to source an NOS switch and it works perfectly. That chrome piece that covers the switch in my pic is more for strength rather than looks.

[img]
[/img][img]
[/img]
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

wayne1230cars wrote:
This what my ‘60 looks like. It is an original and the horn works well. Measuring from the dash to the closest edge of the Ts switch I get about 18 mm or 3/4 of an inch. Between the steering wheel and the switch, clearance is about 2 mm.

BTW the 60-61 ts switches have a bit of a reputation for breaking at the stalk.Be aware of that weakness. Mine was broken when I bought my car. I was able to source an NOS switch and it works perfectly. That chrome piece that covers the switch in my pic is more for strength rather than looks.

[img]
[/img]

Looks great! And thanks for measuring, I will do the same today.

What is the stalk?
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

The stalk is the turn signal switch handle or arm. The chrome piece covers it in the pic and in the other pic, half of it is broken off.
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

wayne1230cars wrote:
The stalk is the turn signal switch handle or arm. The chrome piece covers it in the pic and in the other pic, half of it is broken off.

Gotcha! Mine was broken to but could not find another. KGPR has one they claim is a direct replacement and seems to work well.

My horns on other hand seems not to work so can't wire them up to test the horn assembly till my new ones come in.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Just a suggestion but when you wire up the new horn, disconnect the battery ground cable until you are ready to try the horn out.
When I was working on mine at about midnight, I discovered that the horn would not shut off. Panic time - find the 13mm wrench and undo the battery cable. Not sure the neighbours were too impressed. My better half certainly was not.
Turned out I had to loosen the 3 screws that hold the horn ring on. Supposedly these are to be tightened right up. I loosened these off maybe half a turn each and all was well. I had just had the original horn ring rechromed. Not sure if that played into the equation or not.
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

wayne1230cars wrote:
Just a suggestion but when you wire up the new horn, disconnect the battery ground cable until you are ready to try the horn out.
When I was working on mine at about midnight, I discovered that the horn would not shut off. Panic time - find the 13mm wrench and undo the battery cable. Not sure the neighbours were too impressed. My better half certainly was not.
Turned out I had to loosen the 3 screws that hold the horn ring on. Supposedly these are to be tightened right up. I loosened these off maybe half a turn each and all was well. I had just had the original horn ring rechromed. Not sure if that played into the equation or not.

Thank you and will do! Lol
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Case closed!

Finally my new horns came in yesterday. Installed an hour ago and w much anticipation afraid it was gonna go off as soon as I plugged the in and nothing but silence:) Next test, let's try the horn ring....open the door, look at the wheel thinking, "maybe I should try tomorrow instead"....No way, we've come this far so I reach in push the horn ring and SCHAAAAAZAM! BEEP BEEP!
Made my day if you haven't noticed Razz

Hope this is the last I'm seen on this thread😜

Thanks again for everything!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:

Thanks again for everything!

Thanks for the update!!! Very Happy
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

I still have a weak, intermittent horn. Everything checks out at the steering wheel but something I'm noticing at the bottom end. Should there be a ground wire bridging the steering column to the steering box like every other year VW?

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

If you look at the very first post on the very first page, it shows the ground attaching to the forward end of the column tube. The terminal on the column needs to be cleaned and soldered to the column tube. The stock rivet there always becomes a corroded voltage dropping mess.

No other ground wire should be involved.

Does the rest of your horn/steering/wheel parts match the parts in the very first post??
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Everything matches- my ground wire is connected to the steering column. My thought is that this wire is a power draw which is giving me a weak or intermittent horn. I’ll detach the wire and give it a go. I’ve been watching this topic since day one so hopefully this is it

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: