Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nubby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this! It was very helpful today!
BDSBSS23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those springs for the brass pins. I need them but not sure where to get them? Can they easily be found at a local hardware store? I am just concerned because I am not sure how much tensions the springs have.
Pillar repair with 65 bus
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=530360
Farfromstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know its an old post but is 1970 bug the same? my friends horn honks when nobody is touching anything and stays honking, so we just disconnected it. he replaced the wire that runs up the shaft and looked at the horn button just stock? any ideas?

#2 also i have a 73 super everything is hooked up horn honks if grounded, does the wire run up from the bottom of the shaft too? so do i just run the wire from under the front of the car?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanw3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thread! I've got my 1960 setup all back in order now! I'm wondering what is different about the "c" horn ring that prevents me from using an aftermarket chrome ring? I see the same three mounting holes - I also see the the original might be thinner - but is it enough that a later wouldn't fit? Thanks in advance!

www.facebook.com/Sanborn7
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanw3 wrote:
Thanks for the thread! I've got my 1960 setup all back in order now! I'm wondering what is different about the "c" horn ring that prevents me from using an aftermarket chrome ring? I see the same three mounting holes - I also see the the original might be thinner - but is it enough that a later wouldn't fit? Thanks in advance!

A later ring will "fit" and fill the hole, but it won't function. It will essentially be solid mounted once the screws are tightened and it won't operate the horn.
Stanw3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm....if it is sitting on top of the spring loaded brass pegs - why won't it move? I'm trying to visualize it. Thanks!

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out my 62 has a 60/61 wheel and ring. That explains why I have no horn.

62 og paint L469 type 1
61 og paint L31 DD panel type 2
64 heilite viscount tent trailer
71 sears clamshell trailer

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RJ'sVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1960-61 had a different steering column and steering wheel as well as horn ring,grounding set up,VW part # for the steering wheel is 113.415.651 D and the horn ring is part # 113.951.531 C.1962-63 was also a 2 year only steering wheel and horn ring,VW part # 113.415.651 E and the horn ring part # is 113.951.531 D.Both 60-61 & 62-63 had the notch out for the horn ring on the steering wheel,[the downward notch on the spoke of the steering wheel L & R],and the horn ring was made to fit the wheel,the 64-71 steering wheels had no downward notch in the steering wheel and the later horn rings,like ones that end with the letter E [66-67] or F [68-71] are made differently in the back to accommodate the corresponding steering wheel.
jerry montano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: How Hard to Revert to 61' Wheel from 64'-65' Wheel? Reply with quote

RJ'sVW wrote:
1960-61 had a different steering column and steering wheel as well as horn ring,grounding set up,VW part # for the steering wheel is 113.415.651 D and the horn ring is part # 113.951.531 C.1962-63 was also a 2 year only steering wheel and horn ring,VW part # 113.415.651 E and the horn ring part # is 113.951.531 D.Both 60-61 & 62-63 had the notch out for the horn ring on the steering wheel,[the downward notch on the spoke of the steering wheel L & R],and the horn ring was made to fit the wheel,the 64-71 steering wheels had no downward notch in the steering wheel and the later horn rings,like ones that end with the letter E [66-67] or F [68-71] are made differently in the back to accommodate the corresponding steering wheel.

Hi hopefully someone will still see this thread. I have a 61' and it currently has the 64'-65' wheel on it. I heard that it will be a big project to put the original 61' steering wheel back on because of the wiring, shaft, etc. differences. Is this true? Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanw3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It is true. I'm doing it now and it's a pain. If yours is functional - leave it as is.

jerry montano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks. I really would like to use the steering wheel with the notches. Will it be the same problem if I used the 62'-63' wheel?

Also, what are the issues?

Thanks.
Stanw3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue is getting all the correct/matching parts together. I found the correct wheel and the correct ring - but I have a later column and now that is problem. I'm about $200 in and still not complete.

RJ'sVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole grounding system is different,anyway,I have a 60-61 steering column and an NOS steering wheel and horn ring,the wheel and ring complete with the brass grounding pins and mint horn button is listed here on the samba.
danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: 60-61 steering wheel question Reply with quote

I have a 1960 bug with correct turn signal switch, Can you use a 62-67 wheel? If so, any info would help.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can... but the horn circuit won't work. Not unless you convert the wiring to the 62-67 style.
jettaway03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a source for the hardware? If not, will later hardware kits work just to mount the horn ring?
hitlersride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance someone has this for sale for my 60?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you posted a "Wanted" ad in the Classifieds on this website??
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I have checked everything I can see; the insulating rubber and plastic pieces are all in place:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The ground screw is clean and secure;

The horn is a Hella 6v unit, mounted to the bracket on the body. All wiring is original factory.

I didn't take pictures, but when I restored the steering wheel, I cleaned everything, and read this tutorial post when putting everything back together. All internal steering wheel parts associated with horn function are surgically clean.

The problem I am having is different than the other accounts I am reading. In my case, everything is wired, I press the horn button, and the horn activates, but stays activated, honking continuously. I pull a wire loose at the horn, and it goes silent. I plug it back in and it stays silent. Again, I press the horn button, and the horn honks continuously. If I press the horn a bunch while it's yelling, it beeps louder while I am pressing the button, and reverts to quieter (but still damn loud) continuous honk. It acts the same if I remove the horn from the bracket.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an image of your flex disc in the steering?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: