Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

I was wrong! It’s hollow. I’m out here anyway so I’ll get some pics out of the Bentley.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

58-60 Bentley seems to only show the 58 and 59 wheel and column. Herumph. It refers to 8/59 and up only through description and illustration.
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Ouch. Well, I'll keep hunting. I flagged a couple used early steering columns to jump on one, but i don't know how to ID them being a 60-61 or not.
(I can confirm that I have all the rubber bumpers and grommets around the tube, insulating it from the underside of the dash, not that it means anything.)
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

I have 3 stock '60 columns. I'll go take some pics of it as soon as I can and the Bentley too if its in there. go to Ace hardware if you have one out there. they have multiple different sizes of plastic and fiber washers. If yo don't have some wherever you are I'll throw some in the mail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Gosh Very Happy Thank you Soupcups!
If you have the right kind of washers that would be great. (Moving to PM to not bore others. Razz )
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Ok. No problem. I’ll watch for the PM.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

soupcups wrote:
Ok. No problem. I’ll watch for the PM.

Hi Soupcups,
Already sent you a PM and an email.
Let me know if they didn’t come thru. I’m interested in one of your compete 60 steering column assemblies. Thanks.
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Hey Peter,

I got your PM. Man I must’ve misunderstood your comment up there. I was just saying that I can take a look at one of the columns I have to see if there’s any markings or part number on it. The reason I have two is because I have two ‘60’s. I’m sorry about that. But I took some detailed pics of the columns and measurements of the plastic insulator with a micrometer. I have some broken pieces of those you can have. Let me know if you’re still interested in the pics. I do have some hardware you can have. It’s just washers and bolts from ace hardware that match up with the og ones.

Here’s one of the one year only 6 wire turn signal switches I have for sale if you need it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Messed up again. That’s two different makers of those switches.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

I think there might have been three OEM suppliers, actually. Leopold Kostal, SWF and another that I do not know the name.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

soupcups wrote:
Hey Peter,

I got your PM. Man I must’ve misunderstood your comment up there. I was just saying that I can take a look at one of the columns I have to see if there’s any markings or part number on it. The reason I have two is because I have two ‘60’s. I’m sorry about that.

Oh, that was my fault. Sorry for my confusion.

I'm starting to think my steering column is original, especially now that I understand SWF was an OEM supplier (my SWF marked turn signal assembly, which happens to be in Stone Beige). This would be a great load off my shoulders.

One of my wise ol Air Cooled mechanics (think a shorter Haggis) says: "Why would you think you need to change the steering column?" (on my '60) - good point, even though he hasn't looked at it yet. We shall find out soon...
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
You mean these?

I've always got them out of parts cars. I believe it's also the same rubber bumper as this:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211881895

You probably could get something similar at a well-stocked hardware store too.

-Andy

Is the point just to have some rubber between the body and the column?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Yes. It can be anything that insulates I once wedged some felt in there for a while. Once the column tube rubs on the body long enough, it provides a horn path... usually when you don't want the horn going off.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

I'm guessing what I'm about to ask has been attempted.

Has anyone successfully used their 60 column and added a repop steering wheel and connected the horn...successfully?

If so please elaborate:)

Thank you!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:

Has anyone successfully used their 60 column and added a repop steering wheel and connected the horn...successfully?

Thank you!

Page two that was asked and answered. Did a search of just this thread and got four results by "later Steering Wheel".
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:

Thank you!

Page two that was asked and answered. Did a search of just this thread and got four results by "later Steering Wheel".

Thank you
I'm at the amazing 60 Ghia horn issue. I think I have all the original part that came w the car except the turn signal is broken. KGPR claims the turn signal I got from them will work for a 60 but till I get it all together I'm not convinced and looking for a back up plan:)
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

As you can see I have everything back together on my 60 but two things are odd, the turn signal is quit a bit away from the dash and the gap between the wheel and turn signal is a lot.

The column rod is in the correct position on the steering box and if I move the tube down, the brass contact ring will no longer be flush w/the turn signal.

Maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong, any suggestions??

Thank you all!! Smile

Lee
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Looks like you need to move the TS switch closer to the steering wheel. By loosening the TS switch from the column tube, sliding the switch to the rear.
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Looks like you need to move the TS switch closer to the steering wheel. By loosening the TS switch from the column tube, sliding the switch to the rear.

If I lossen and move the TS switch closer to the steering wheel, wont the brass contact ring to far away?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 horn assembly hell made simple. Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

If I lossen and move the TS switch closer to the steering wheel, wont the brass contact ring to far away?

If the brass contact ring is even with the TS switch, then you need to slide the entire column toward the steering wheel.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Wed May 22, 2019 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: