Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replace oil pump without pulling engine?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sun-bug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Replace oil pump without pulling engine? Reply with quote

Thanks folks. Sorry for the wrong forum. I did not even notice that since my hit was via Google and not the internal search function. I have never seen my oil light so much as flicker and it does come on and go off as expected at engine startup. Yes, it is a Type 1 (1974 Super Beetle) with a stock 1600. Good to know about the bore versus actual wear on the relief valves. I am really looking at preventative maintenance here since I have the engine in the heated basement all winter now and I don't really want to see that light flickering in the spring as Murphy's Law says it might. I think I will look into outright replacement of these parts since cost is low and sweat equity is cheap!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Replace oil pump without pulling engine? Reply with quote

Usually all that needs be done with a Type 1 pump is to sand the front steel plate flat from the grooves that will be in it, or replace it. If you take the tin off, retorque the heads after many miles. Good luck.
sun-bug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace oil pump without pulling engine? Reply with quote

Any advice about: 1) whether to use any type of gasket sealant, or 2) whether the oil pump should be packed with grease, and what type?

BZ
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace oil pump without pulling engine? Reply with quote

sun-bug74 wrote:
Any advice about: 1) whether to use any type of gasket sealant, or 2) whether the oil pump should be packed with grease, and what type?

BZ

no sealant but a new top gasket. I don't know if you can get the special sealing nuts anymore. The top gasket is really thin. You sand or replace the steel plate, and the gasket and use special sealing nuts if you can get them. It is a little harder on a bus because they have a bar at the back of the engine called a mustache bar. I don't think Beetles have that issue.
sun-bug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace oil pump without pulling engine? Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes, I found the sealing nuts.

How about packing or repacking with grease and what type of grease?
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace oil pump without pulling engine? Reply with quote

sun-bug74 wrote:

Some say Vaseline or white grease but unless your talking long term I use nothing. Unlike SGKent I paint both sides of the wafer thin gasket with Permatex 3H and put it on the studs washers and nuts even the correct ones with rubber rings.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace oil pump without pulling engine? Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
sun-bug74 wrote:

Some say Vaseline or white grease but unless your talking long term I use nothing. Unlike SGKent I paint both sides of the wafer thin gasket with Permatex 3H and put it on the studs washers and nuts even the correct ones with rubber rings.

No to grease or vasoline. This is a running functioning engine.

Only reason I no longer use gasket sealer is that on occasion I have had seals blow out as the sealer acts like a lubricant sometimes - regardless what is used. I never had a dry gasket leak, just be sure the thin one is used and not the thick one. The thick one goes between the flange and engine. There is no reason to pull the pump on a working engine. If the wrong one is reinstalled it can cause a failure.
sun-bug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace oil pump without pulling engine? Reply with quote

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: