Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Filtered water
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julia I saw what I believe to be this one at Lowes this morning with a price tag of $33. Looks to be about the
same size as the one posted above.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_55113-59019-WHKF-DUF_0__?productId=1188335&Ntt=whirlpool+water+filter
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
Julia I saw what I believe to be this one at Lowes this morning with a price tag of $33. Looks to be about the

http://www.lowes.com/pd_55113-59019-WHKF-DUF_0__?productId=1188335&Ntt=whirlpool+water+filter

Be interested to know if the added volume of this filter hinders the flow, or puts added strain on the pump?

Maybe nothing, maybe not.

LP
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where some of you live; but in most of the USA, even hose water is chlorinated. After replumbing my water system, I drink the water straight from the tank. In Mexico, I buy 5 galloon jugs of "agua purificada" and dump it in.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
I don't know where some of you live; but in most of the USA, even hose water is chlorinated. After replumbing my water system, I drink the water straight from the tank. In Mexico, I buy 5 galloon jugs of "agua purificada" and dump it in.

Federal regulation limits chlorine in the potable water distribution systems to 4ppm. The use of this method causesba sideveffect: the flavor of the water also changes due to the chlorine reacting to the naturally occurring organic matter creating trihalomethanes and haloacetic acids.

Water reports for your locality can usually be found online.

In my home I have grown accustomed to the spiffy filters installed on the refrigerators water line and a little spigot for non chilled water on my sink to remove the chlorine flavor from our water.

We generally use refillable water containers filled at home now which does create a storage issue as originally stated by OP. An on board filtration setup sounds like a nice solution now that my tank and lines are all new, but I am still wondering about the flow characteristics. We do more dish cleaning in that sink than filling cups for drinking.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these are intended for home use, would they restrict flow to the faucet? I think that they are probably designed
not to, just think of the Law Suits if people installed these and they damaged the plumbing.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
If these are intended for home use, would they restrict flow to the faucet? I think that they are probably designed
not to, just think of the Law Suits if people installed these and they damaged the plumbing.

But they are also designed for pressures that are probably larger than the little pump puts out, no? All of my plumbing is 3/4 K grade copper in my house (off a 1 1/4 in feed) and my filters are on a 1/4 inch pex line off those pipes, so I have no knowledge in this area as the smaller line is already creating the restriction.
heidi85ho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a camper and a hiker, putting suspect water into my clean tank is a no-no.
If I think the water needs treatment I filter it before it goes in my tank. Filter attached to the front of my water filling hose so water from whatever source goes in clean.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the switch being turned On create a vacuum inside the pump to pull water through the 3/8"
tube and up to the faucet anyway? Do we think that maybe the filter will not let the water flow freely thru it?
I think there could be some sort of delay for the water to get to the faucet, while the filter housing is filling up
with water.
The other thing with the filter, is it not being used as often as a home setup increase the usage
time of the filter?
I went back into Lowes today, the above one that I was looking at was for a ice maker. They have
lots more to choose from, and they tend to also be larger as the entry and exits get larger.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted my filter setup I've been running the past few years, earlier in this thread.

Timwhy wrote:
Doesn't the switch being turned On create a vacuum inside the pump to pull water through the 3/8"

My pump is located in the tank, but even on the external ones the filter will be under pressure and not vacuum. The suction side of the pump is always at vacuum regardless of if there is a filter or not.

Timwhy wrote:
Do we think that maybe the filter will not let the water flow freely thru it?

This depends on the filter. With my 0.5 micron filter it certainly slows the flow of water. With a more open filter it won't reduce the flow as much. I wanted the 0.5 micron to block Giardia. My filter also has carbon to make the water taste better.

Timwhy wrote:
I think there could be some sort of delay for the water to get to the faucet, while the filter housing is filling up
with water.

Yes it's a few seconds if you haven't used it in a while. Subsequent times there is no delay.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

presslab wrote:
I have posted my filter setup I've been running the past few years, earlier in this thread.

Timwhy wrote:

My pump is located in the tank, but even on the external ones the filter will be under pressure and not vacuum. The suction side of the pump is always at vacuum regardless of if there is a filter or not.

Timwhy wrote:
Do we think that maybe the filter will not let the water flow freely thru it?

This depends on the filter. With my 0.5 micron filter it certainly slows the flow of water. With a more open filter it won't reduce the flow as much. I wanted the 0.5 micron to block Giardia. My filter also has carbon to make the water taste better.

Timwhy wrote:
with water.

Yes it's a few seconds if you haven't used it in a while. Subsequent times there is no delay.

All good info!!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:

Thanks Timwhy! I'll have to grab the tape measure and hitch up my pants before getting into that cabinet. Or maybe I'll just be lazy and not do it at all this weekend. Havin' one of those weeks Wink
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8 wrote:
Timwhy wrote:

Thanks Timwhy! I'll have to grab the tape measure and hitch up my pants before getting into that cabinet. Or maybe I'll just be lazy and not do it at all this weekend. Havin' one of those weeks Wink

I hear you! Should I just put the Westy to Bed and Not do any upgrade before Winter? Well I can't!
\I have a Shallow sink trap coming from West Marine and I need to make my sink drawer full size.

Oh. well you"ll see the pics!!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an in-line filter for a refrigerator/ice-maker that I got at Lowes. I like it because it had the best filtering capabilities and came with a mount that worked great for the back of the westy cabinet. I don't have the box anymore, but believe it reduces chlorine, sediment, amoeba & such. Water flow seems normal. I think the limitation is the small pump. It seems to work just fine, though. Its hard for me to compare before and after because my system didn't work prior to refurbishing it. I took the whole thing apart and replaced everything but the tank. I also bought something similar to this that goes on the end of the hose:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the water's filtered going into the tank and before it comes out of the faucet. If you really wanted to get high speed, you could probably drop some water purification tablets into the tank. The in-line filter below the faucet would help improve the taste. If you were really concerned, you could boil it after all that.

So far I've only filtered water from a residential and campground source, but the next step for me is back-country water (preferably from a moving source) pumped through one of the larger Katadyns. My goal is to get a reasonable on-board water purification/storage capability.
Sherrinonie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fairly new owner of an 85 westy. Have done the bleach and water to the tank a few times within the past 2 years. Don't know how long it's been since the hoses where replace. Can't get rid of the stale plastic smell from water tank.. Could it be that the hoses need replacement? Has anyone ever thought of removing that plastic tank and adding a light weight stainless steel tank instead?? I would really like that!! Thanks for your feedback!!
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoWesty has magic hoses with silver in them
Sherrinonie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the best technique for replacing the fresh water hoses? Any pics or videos? Thanks!
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherrinonie wrote:
What's the best technique for replacing the fresh water hoses? Any pics or videos? Thanks!

Don't know if true or not but I've read that the fresh water tube is attached to something behind
the cabinet. I don't think you can attach a new piece to it and pull it thru?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nasty! Going to check mine out! If I can find/see them. Wink
GypsyDriver wrote:

[hose pic]

I've been searching for a thread on *cleaning* the lines, but can't find anything on it. I wanted to clean the entire system and then just put clean water in and use it. For everything except drinking?

Did anyone that pulled nasty lines out of their camper try cleaning them first?

I spoke with the owner of the store that I buy my water from, it's an on demand fresh filter system. He said that I should clean the lines w/ 90:1 water:bleach. So, I was planning on 50L:0.5L (that's be 500mL or 2 Cups). Leave it for an hour or two. Then, flush the entire system twice. Safe to use for cooking and teeth brushing. Think he said it'd be safe to drink, but he wouldn't drink it! But, he won't drink the water out of his house tap either (taste not safety)...

Opinions?

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Nasty! Going to check mine out! If I can find/see them. Wink

A) Open the under-sink cabinet; they're right there.
B) Open the first horizontal cabinet lid and remove the shelf; they're right there.

tam_shops wrote:
I've been searching for a thread on *cleaning* the lines, but can't find anything on it. I wanted to clean the entire system and then just put clean water in and use it. For everything except drinking?

Did anyone that pulled nasty lines out of their camper try cleaning them first?

Opinions?

First, you're not going get those lines clean just by flushing liquid through them. I can't even do that with my turtle's filter lines (which contain "wet" nastiness) using the "jet" setting on my garden hose sprayer, let alone a 20-year-old hose that's been allowed to go through dry periods.

From another topic http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=422817 :

westynova wrote:
An option rather than replace the hose is to clean it in place. First I would shock the hose and tank with a good chlorine bath. This will kill most of the scunngy stuff. Next, disconnect the hose at the faucet and feed a long flexible wire from the faucet ond of the hose to the tank. Then pull through some sort of a cleaning rag several times. When you pull the first one through, tie a strong rope/ cord to the end so as it come out, you will have a pull through for the next one and so forth until you are satisfied that it is clean. Once this is done, shock the system again and then flush with clean water at least twice or until the taste of chlorine is gone.

^Or, use a pipe cleaner.

My tank-to-sink hose was far worse than what "Gypsy" posted. Easier to replace than attempt to clean, IMO (size: 3/8" ID). Plus, the thought of missing some of that nastiness was rather.... Sick

Once replaced, after (and/or before) each use, flush the tank and line with your preferred sanitization procedure.

Replacement tips: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488546
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After cleaning tank and replacing pump and lines, we use our tank for all water needs, including drinking. We take a collapsible jug to haul water if available, for washing dishes. Since I know our thank is clean, I fill up at one of those water stores with the outside hose. It is cheap, seldom more than $2 for the whole tank. This is pretty pure, RO water, and I feel like it won't add slime or add growing things to my westy water system. Still, driving around a few days with bleach water in the tank and lines once a year is a good way to clean. Rinse well and dry and refill with RO water.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: