Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust in gas tank in my 67?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allihjelm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Rust in gas tank in my 67? Reply with quote

Hi,

As some of you probably know by now I purchased a 67 Beetle two weeks ago that had been standing in a garage since about 1974 without being moved.

I replaced the fuel, oil, spark-plugs etc. and the engine runs fine.

Now I want to ask you if there is a possibility of rust having accumulated through the years inside of the gas tank that could possible harm the engine. Or is this something I don't need to worry about at all?
perrib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll want to inspect/ clean it and paint it with gas tank paint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allihjelm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perrib wrote:
You'll want to inspect/ clean it and paint it with gas tank paint.

Any idea how best to do this?
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace the in-tank screen and it's associated ring.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111209147A
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111209139
perrib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use hot water and Phosphoric acid. It is sold as Metal Prep at autobody supply stores. Follow the directions. Use a heat gun stuck in the sender hole to dry it out. The use Por 15 gas tank paint. Like Icy stated use a new intank filter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact your local radiator shop. They can usually clean/boil them out and recoat the inside.

You can buy kits and do it yourself, but then you have to dispose of the chemicals, it can be a big mess, and some of the kits have had problems with liners lifting in the tanks.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Rusty O'Toole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can inspect your tank without a lot of hassle. First you have to run it dry or drain it dry.

Run the tank as low as possible and park in front of your garage. Disconnect the gas line from the fuel pump. Stick a hose on the fuel line and put it in an empty gas can.

Now blow in the gas tank filler. I just use an air hose with a rag wrapped around it. Give it short puffs of air, just enough to move the gas out, don't pressurise the tank more than 5 or 10 pounds.

When the tank is dry take out the fuel gauge sender unit or the block off plate in the middle of the tank. Now you can look inside.

Use a penlight flashlight to get a good look. Tape the light to a stick and put it right in there.

The lowest part of the tank is right under the fuel gauge. This is where you will see rust if there is any. Right around the fuel outlet is where you are most likely to see a rusty spot because water lays there.

You can also peek down the filler pipe while you are snooping around.

If the tank is dirty it is not too hard to take it out and clean it. If it is rusty I recommend epoxy type sealer. I use Caswell's. It seems to be more durable than the rubbery stuff.

I just did the tank in my 66 and only used half a pint. You can get the small kit for $43 and it will do 2 tanks.

I sandblasted mine thru the fuel gauge hole and got out all the rust. It was only rusty in the well under the fuel gauge, and the sand blew around and cleaned the whole tank out.

First I pressure washed, then sandblasted, then washed with lacquer thinner, then with soap and water. Finally dried it out good and poured in the epoxy.

Before I put the epoxy in I greased the fuel gauge screws and used them to fasten a cardboard blockoff plate lined with a plastic bag. This kept the screw holes from getting clogged with epoxy, and sealed the hole. Also I put the gas cap on, with a plastic bag under it. I also plugged the gas outlet with plastic and greased the threads of the fitting. Finally I stuck a golf tee in the vent pipe.

After thoroughly sloshing the epoxy around I took off all the plugs etc. and set the tank so the excess epoxy could drain out the gas outlet hole into the container I mixed it in.

Now you may find your tank passes inspection, or just needs cleaning. But if it needs the full treatment that's how I do it.

I have another question for you chemistry majors. It occurred to me that Klenk's bathtub epoxy or some other type of epoxy paint should be just as good as the Caswell stuff, and cheaper. Can anybody tell us about that?
loftyborofan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

por 15 is better than!

well anything!
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it to a radiator shop they will inspect it, and clean it . you don't have to hassle with the chemicals or PROPER disposal of them. Can also tell you if you need to seal it.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '65 sat for 26 years. There was no gas in the tank and no rust issues inside. All I did was remove and replace the reserve valve and copper screen. It worked beautifully.

Cars that sit with gas in the tanks have more issues. These are the ones you need to take to a radiator shop to have cleaned out. They usually need to be re-lined as well. All the tanks I have had done use a red coating and I have never had a problem. As said before, the radiator shop can dispose of the old gas and all the funky stuff inside, clean and reline for usually around $75. They also can make welding repairs if needed.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope you also took it to a garage and had all the fuel lines replaced. my 67 sedan supposedly sat for 15 years in a garage and i drove it one day and the fuel lines started leaking gas under the tank like crazy.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fuel lines were fine. However, after sitting so long, they need cleaning out. With luck, the lines will last a long time.

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allihjelm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
My fuel lines were fine. However, after sitting so long, they need cleaning out. With luck, the lines will last a long time.

Thank you for this info.

How would you recommend cleaning the fuel lines?
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allihjelm wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:

Thank you for this info.

I used acetone and a medium sized plastic syringe. I connected a rubber fuel line to the steel line and stuck the plastic syringe into the rubber fuel line, making a snug seal. I then just kept injecting acetone until it wouldnt hold any more. Let it sit for the night and attacked it again in the morning. Repeated the process until I could shoot all the crap out and the acetone ran clear.

6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
allihjelm wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:

Thank you for this info.

I used acetone and a medium sized plastic syringe. I connected a rubber fuel line to the steel line and stuck the plastic syringe into the rubber fuel line, making a snug seal. I then just kept injecting acetone until it wouldnt hold any more. Let it sit for the night and attacked it again in the morning. Repeated the process until I could shoot all the crap out and the acetone ran clear.
i meant replacing the rubber hoses under the tank..sorry for the confusion
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6Kabrio7 wrote:

Oh... Well, DUH!! Always replace rubber fuel lines. It's the cheapest insurance against fires you can get Wink !

(Aside from not putting a plastic fuel filter over the distributer cap Shocked )

6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
6Kabrio7 wrote:

Oh... Well, DUH!! Always replace rubber fuel lines. It's the cheapest insurance against fires you can get Wink !

(Aside from not putting a plastic fuel filter over the distributer cap Shocked )
are you doing anything currently to your 60 kabriolet? it looks like it has a ton of potential. Wink
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6Kabrio7 wrote:
are you doing anything currently to your 60 kabriolet? it looks like it has a ton of potential. Wink

My '60 Kab is a great car. However, I sold it a few months ago to someone who had the time to bring it back to its glory. Hopefully, it's on its way back to original bliss and not some hack job Pray

allihjelm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy wrote:

Icy. Can you please tell me where the screen is and the ring on this picture? And where does it exactly go into the tank?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What other rubber fuel lines should I replace here as well?
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allihjelm wrote:
Icy wrote:

Icy. Can you please tell me where the screen is and the ring on this picture? And where does it exactly go into the tank?

That picture you posted is for later Beetles. Here is the diagram you need. Looks for Item #52 and Item #49.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: