Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Welding a stainless muffler
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Welding a stainless muffler Reply with quote

I have a ceramic coated Sidewinder and non-coated stainless Sidewinder muffler. I ordered the header without an O2 bung because I was impatient. Oops. Embarassed So now I have to weld my own. What are the pifalls and precautions taken when welding on stainless? I believe the bung is mild steel, but I'm not totally sure. The bung came with the LM1 kit. Has anyone done this before?
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I welded the Lm1 bung the my mild steel muffler fine, so i guess it is steel.

You need stainless wire in your mig to do what you want to do. or just take it some where to get it tiged , should be a 5 min job.
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mongo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to remove the ceramic coating in the area to be welded.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

mharney wrote:
Behold the true power of the extractor! Mongo has it right!
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I talked to Tiger this afternoon and he said the same thing...TIG. I'll be calling around because I can't do that myself and I want it done well.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO NO NO NO NO!

I weld mild steel to stainless all the time. Its my favorite thing to weld because its easy to get great looking welds that are also strong.

First, MIG is fine.

Second, mild steel wire is fine. The only thing stainless wire will do is not rust. Since the bung is mild steel anyway, spray some paint over it when you're done.

Third, just turn the heat up one notch higher than if you were welding mild steel to mild steel. The stainless sucks up heat, which is a good thing when welding tubing, it doesn't burn through very easily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
exciter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florida_Buggy wrote:
NO NO NO NO NO!

I weld mild steel to stainless all the time. Its my favorite thing to weld because its easy to get great looking welds that are also strong.

First, MIG is fine.

Second, mild steel wire is fine. The only thing stainless wire will do is not rust. Since the bung is mild steel anyway, spray some paint over it when you're done.

Third, just turn the heat up one notch higher than if you were welding mild steel to mild steel. The stainless sucks up heat, which is a good thing when welding tubing, it doesn't burn through very easily.

X2 good answer
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florida_Buggy wrote:
NO NO NO NO NO!

First, MIG is fine.

What gas do you use?
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular (75/25 argon/CO2) mix that you use for mild steel will work for one little O2 bung. But as already mentioned, you will get rust so BBQ paint or something similar will be necassary. Or you could just take a trip to the muffler shop and get a stainless bung and have them weld it for you. Tig would be the "cat's meow" for a pretty bead and less heat buildup, but more than likely if the muffler shop isn't a specialty shop, they MIG stainless with a welder setup for mild steel anyways (which is a "hack" way to do it IMO). Tri-mix and stainless wire aren't cheap for someone welding stainless once in a great while so I doubt they'll keep a bottle around. A welding/fabrication shop or mobile weldor could do it also.

-Andy
64VOLKS33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tig welded it, use straight argon and 309 stainless steel filler rod for mild steel to stainless applications. Cool
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a local shop do it in an hour and a half this afternoon...and charged me for only an hour. Can't beat that. Maybe I can finally tune this thing this weekend. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: