Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche Boxter Brakes ?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dingchowping
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onwardtothestars wrote:
I'm not Eric but there's two bleeders, one up one down, so the caliper can be used universally on the left of right side of the van/car

Not true. The two bleeders are on the same "end." One bleeds the inner chamber, one bleeds the outer. They both must face up or you'll never get the bubbles out. If you notice in the picture there is a crossover tube opposite the bleeders that feeds fluid from the inner chamber to the outer. That tube can be swapped with the bleeder screws if need be. You can't just swap these calipers side to side willy nilly. The pistons are differet sizes to maintain even pad wear, so you need to make sure the pistons stay in the proper orientation. I'm not sure if a Boxster uses leading or trailing calipers, but if its trailing, you'll need to swap the bleeders and crossover tube to keep the pistons in proper orientation with the rotation of the wheel. I'm sure that's why Eric had the caliper installed "upside down."

TTFN,
Adam
onwardtothestars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wrong then, thanks for clarifying Smile

I was envisioning older VW and early Porsche calipers in my mind.
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the test fit pic, after I snapped the pic I realized the nipples were wrong.

Those springs are long gone! that's when I had the S van super low. It's got H&R's and bilstiens now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:
Pedal is super firm with the stock master cylinder. I also use a Wilwood adjustable brake bias valve. I found the rears to be locking first with the stock bias valve.

Hey Eric how much work was that to install? I've been thinking about that for my setup...
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump... What ever came of this project? Measure once cut twice get you down? Wink
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya how did I miss this first time around? guess it was when I was bombing down the the autobahm . . .
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
Dingchowping
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackDogVan wrote:
Bump... What ever came of this project? Measure once cut twice get you down? Wink

HAHA! You're not too far off. Rest assured the project is still alive and well, but there's been a lot of backing and forthing with the machine shop. We've gone through 4 or 5 different prototypes, and the machinist is making them on his spare time (of which he has precious little). I finally took my van down to the shop and fitted up the latest prototype so the machinist could see with his own eyes what we were up against, as there seemed to be a communications breakdown. Anyway, I got a call from the machinist today and the final (fingers crossed!) bracket design is ready. Its just a matter of time (hopefully this Saturday) to test fit and sign off on the design.

In the mean time, here's a couple teaser pics from the last trip to the machine shop:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Beast: HAAS 3 axis mill used to machine the brackets, with the test mule in the background.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Closeup of the mill in action, refining the shape of the prototype bracket.

"For once you have tasted flight,
You walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward;
For there you have been,
And there you long to return."
-Leonardo da Vinci
OhChit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys..
Any updates on this conversion yet. I'm just about ready to upgrade my brakes and B-4 i spend the bucks on the typical Big Brake Kit, I'd like to know whats available so I can try to reuse my pretty Boxter Stoppers, but with the VW 5x112 lug patern. Trying to save my Mercedes wheels.

Does anyone have these type brakes on their rig yet and on the road. How do they stop, compared to the big brake kits? Will the hassel of install be worth it?
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhChit wrote:
Hey Guys..
Any updates on this conversion yet. I'm just about ready to upgrade my brakes and B-4 i spend the bucks on the typical Big Brake Kit, I'd like to know whats available so I can try to reuse my pretty Boxter Stoppers, but with the VW 5x112 lug patern. Trying to save my Mercedes wheels.

Does anyone have these type brakes on their rig yet and on the road. How do they stop, compared to the big brake kits? Will the hassel of install be worth it?

find another rotor that fits over the van's hub and that matches the Boxster calipers . . . get the specs of the Boxster rotors and look for something similar

Willwood makes rotors with no holes drilled, you can drill them for 5X112.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=401048&highlight=brakes
Dingchowping
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhChit wrote:
Hey Guys..

Buildyourown links to my post I submitted a couple weeks ago. The bracket is done and I've been running them for about 12 days now. The improvement is staggering, even with the stock drums. I don't have time right now to go into detail, but I'll post more later when I get back from the hospital. Or send me a PM if you have any specific questions.

"For once you have tasted flight,
You walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward;
For there you have been,
And there you long to return."
-Leonardo da Vinci
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: