Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon ground effects removal
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmcc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Vanagon ground effects removal Reply with quote

Hi

I have a 90 Wolfsberg Vanagon parts car with the fiberglass bumpers and skirts. I have been trying to figure out how to remove the skirts to put them on my westy. There are a bunch of 10mm nuts to remove but they appear to need be double wrenched. For the life of me I can't figure out what and how to hold the other side of the bolt.

Can anyone give me some insight.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in the Bentley. There are brackets attached to the sheet metal. The nut you can reach from the bottom clamps onto this bracket. The bitch is trying to locate the brackets on the new vehicle.
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took my front skirt off recently. Most bolts came out without too much hassle (impact driver and penetrating oil). The ones that didn't come off easily got a taste of my grinder. Now that'll teach em...

When you go to reinstall them, find some nuts that will fit into the existing hole in the metal flange behind the bumper. These will expand as you insert the bolt. Do a search on it, someone was describing these nuts better than I am.

Stephen

thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at each point there is a 10mm head bolt pointing down, it threads into a
nutsert in the plastic. the top hooks over the top of that same mount bracket. EX: the slider has 4 brackets--bentley gives you the layout of how to mount them on a new vehicle or panel. 4 brackets, 4 bolts.
I'd like to make molds and make new ones out of carbon fiber or kevlar. indestructable, just like the stainless parts we lean towards.

todd
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmcc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the help. I did look in the bently and found info on the bumpers but must be blind to the side skirts. Your posts are very helpful.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: