Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

steering opinion
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: steering opinion Reply with quote

Have a 1977 steering box. Slowing dripping steering gear oil. We tightened the lash using Bentley and the proper torque inch gauge. There is still a tiny clunk in it. Relay arm bushing was also replaced as was drag link, tie rods and ball joints.

So I have two problems - the seal is worn allowing dripping, and there is a mild clunk. I considered a new steering box but they are all brazilian made and the photos looked different. I can get a new seal and fix the leak on the old box or I can buy a new brazilian box.

Has anyone used the brazilian boxes and what kind of long term wear do they have? Is a mild clunk when rocking the steering normal in these? If you have replaced the seal, how did you get the old one out and press the new one in?
ScottK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thread on seal replacement:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=336201
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you - perfect answer.
atmellovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SG,

That thread is mine. Unfortunately, my box started leaking again about a month after I replaced that seal. Maybe you will have better luck! Note that my box ('72) is different from yours and takes a different sized seal. German Supply has the seals.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are fortunate that you have the later box where you can at least get a new economical replacement. If the general design of the output shaft is the same as earlier boxes, that is where your clunk might be. Rest your finger on the end of the housing and the pitman arm or the output shaft if there is room. Touch both places at the same time with one finger and have someone turn the wheel to make the clunk. You will feel the movement and the sound. Suppose it would have to be installed so it get's the load of the system. And that clunk sound also transmits down the rest of the system. But the source is the output shaft slop in the bearing surface of the housing snout as it whips from one side of contact to the other. At least with the early boxes it seems like maybe even .002" total wear of the shaft and housing makes the noise. If yours is the same design and you get the seal issue worked out it might be worth some quality machine shop work on precision grinding of the shaft and fitting a new sleeve insert. Again, if it's like the early box design the provision for lubrication of that bore and shaft is very poor. That could be corrected.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there anyone out there who has used the new boxes made in Brazil and if so what results, how do they hold up, noise, refilling with oil,, leaks etc.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone use the Brazilian boxes? your opinions please.
foxtail1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: box Reply with quote

Call Bus Boys at 530-244-1616. They have rebuilt boxes, but they are not cheap about 300 + for them plus exchange.

64 bug
64 bus
59 ghia
71 bus
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw where Wolfgang has rebuilt boxes for about that price. I would be interested in results from anyone who has tried one of these rebuilt boxes. Busboys has on their site only the new Brazilian ones for the late bays.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everett locked the other thread so I will reopen this one per his majesty's request. The oil leak was stopped with a new seal and the steering gear tuned per Bentley but it is still junk with 2" or more of freeplay. A used box we bought through theSamba is gritty so we aren't buying anymore used boxes. And from this prior thread we learned that the Brazilian ones weren't made so good either. So now all we need to know if anyone in Sambaland is using a rebuilt late box that they are 100% satisfied with and if so where did they get it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using my OG box that came with my bus...it has some play, which can be scary at times. (think high winds, or oncoming semi's) But it's pretty decent.

You'll get used to it after you take your bus out of the garage...

There are a plethora of decent boxes in crashed buses across America...I see them all the time.....many better than mine.

peace

p.s. that's my "opinion"
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73Kombi - I hear ya and agree but at $60 to $100 a used steering box shipped, I can't afford to buy any more and turn them into paperweights. Your opinion on this means a lot to me and I thank you for it. We were on the freeway yesterday being buffeted by SUV's and I was having to crank the wheel back and forth like a pinball machine. My 1971 was never like that. Big trucks and crosswinds yes made it a challenge at times but this was constant every time anything bigger than a honda passed us. I am talking 2" of play vs about 1/2" that used to be in my 1971 that had 350,000 miles on it. I am out of patience buying parts for this bus.
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
73Kombi - I hear ya and agree but at $60 to $100 a used steering box shipped, I can't afford to buy any more and test them.

I'll keep an eye out for ya...I found this leaky, but decent split box in Reno today...

I never seriously look at the bay boxes....but they are always there.

I'm gonna start a traveling vw boneyard company.......some places know what they have, most have no clue.

Now come voice your opinion on main seals....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=384894
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 73Kombi

I do have some more info tonight. The spare one that we have which is gritty is a G model steering box so I don't know if it would even fit. It is made in France and I think from a 73 or 74. But 73Kombi got me thinking about this so I said since it is a door stop why not take it apart? So now it is fully apart and waiting to be cleaned. Once cleaned I will take photos for everyone of the parts so anyone who is interested can see what is inside one.

The seals are shown in Kaman Bearings catalog.

The upper is 22x32x7

The lower is 28x38x7. The last ones I bought came as Timken sku number 0 53893 503813

The ball bearings in this one at the top and bottom of the input shaft are like those on an old bicycle crank - mounted in a plastic cage and are 5/16 (.3125) inch. I don't know if the ZF will be the same or not. I checked the ball bearings with a micrometer and they show some signs of elongation so we will put new ones in and see how much play is there. There is a shim but it could be sanded on glass to make it thinner if needed. The races are in excellent condition and there is no play at the upper or lower bushings. The grittiness is just age and dust that has gotten in over the years - hardened grease etc.

When we are done we will see how it works and if it is as good as new we will probably have to sell it since it is the G model instead of H.

Based on how it works, the shaft that the steering column hooks to has a peg gear in it that the other shaft passes by. The peg shaft fits into the worm (main) shaft, When the adjustment screw is tightened it pushes the peg tight into the worm gear. Both have a taper so even as they wear they should still be adjustable for a long time - at least the G model is. This one has enough built up debris in it that it is not smooth anymore. I am hoping cleaning and new bearings will fix that.

I think what has happened to the one on my bus is that without oil, the teeth on the worm wore in a way that their width is not even. This allows too much freeplay. That or there is so much debris I am getting false readings on the adjustment. We'll see and keep you posted.

The French one that is apart has the top and bottom seal and a big o-ring as seals. No paper like the early ones. There was something like gascacinch or curil on it to help seal it.

ddwbeagles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Steering box disassembled Reply with quote

Of course even worn or bad parts look good when cleaned, but judging by the photos I don't see a great deal of wear. I would be curious if your cleaned it all up, relubed everthing and reassembled if the "knock" or glitch disappears. Is that the plan of was it kind of a "discovery" motive to see what's inside on the bad box?

71 Ghia Coupe autostick
78 Westy
86 Vanagon Weekender

hazetguy wrote:
i'm going to stock up on search buttons
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes David - I was wondering what was inside and if the grittinesss could be cleaned out of this gear. I believe this one will be good when done but it is a G model and my bus came with the H. The G is like 73 or 74, and the H is later. The G is made in France and I believe the H is made in Germany. If this one works then I will try the H one to see if cleaning it makes it better. The freeplay is set by torque resistance when turning or by -0- freeplay in the shaft when the steering wheel is turned 180 degrees. Both methods leave over 2" of freeplay in the steering wheel on my H model. About 5/8" is the wear limit. It may be nothing more than dirt and rust has gotten into the box and made them feel tight and drag when they really have freeplay under load. Or it could be the races and shaft are worn from lack of oil.
ddwbeagles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: testing steering box rebuild Reply with quote

OK probably a stupid question here, but..... When you removed the "H" style steering box, could you still feel the bump or glitch in it? Or is this something you can only tell when it's under a load (i.e. installed). I like so many others have a late model bay and watch your threads carefully for ideas, discoveries and motivation. Great work and hope these few remaining tweaks get resolved so you can enjoy all that hard work.

71 Ghia Coupe autostick
78 Westy
86 Vanagon Weekender

hazetguy wrote:
i'm going to stock up on search buttons
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's always nice to have extra parts laying around to practice on Smile

good luck on your endeavor. let us know how it works out.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OK probably a stupid question here, but..... When you removed the "H" style steering box, could you still feel the bump or glitch in it? Or is this something you can only tell when it's under a load (i.e. installed). I like so many others have a late model bay and watch your threads carefully for ideas, discoveries and motivation. Great work and hope these few remaining tweaks get resolved so you can enjoy all that hard work.

The play is only under load. I can get under the bus and have Cathy rock the wheel and other than minimal loading in the new ball joints, tie rods, draglink, and center pin etc, the play is all in the steering wheel. There is a new German made steering coupler and I can see it is not causing the play either. I cannot feel the play by hand at the steering gear, only at the steering wheel where I can rock it 2+" even though by the factory manual the play should now be about 5/8." This means every time I have to correct on the road, the steering wheel moves up to 6" - say 2" play +1 inch correction then when the wind from a big car changes 3" back the other way. I am doing this 4" to 6" pinball game while driving at 65. City street at 40mph and it is not so noticable.

Normally tightening the adjustment screw on the steering gear per Bentley or the factory manual (different methods but the result is the same, solves most freeplay issues but in my case it does not although I can get rid of most of it if I over tighten the adjustment screw but that can cause failure. The PO let the steering gear run dry because the lower seal leaked and it may have excessively worn the parts - or it may just be grime in it causing it to feel like it is adjusted when it is not.

The picture of the gear apart is the French made one, the G model. The H is now on the bus.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are the photos of the cleaned and disassembled French /G VW type 2 steering gear. This one cleaned up well and if it will fit a late 70's bay it should work. However the /G is for about 73-74 so it may not fit and I may have to sell it. I got new seals today from Kaman Bearing and new ball bearings from McMaster-Carr.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: