Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Update on my IRS Buggy build (HW2)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with the installation of the 914 rev counter in the dash today. These pics are a bit graphic, but there is no other way to do it since I am not prepared to buy a 115mm hole saw that I will only use once Confused (Not even Volkspares use a hole saw for the turn key buggies they build for customers.)

Masking tape was put on the dash, the rev counter was measured, and a perfect circle the size of the rev counter was drawn (by compass, not by hand! Laughing ) on the masking tape. I then drilled small holes on the inside of the circle, all around

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The small pieces of fibreglass inbetween the holes were then cut away, leaving a gaping hole in the dash with rather rugged edges

I then cleaned the rugged edges with the Dremel, till the surface was smooth (and the circle true) again. The gauge is a perfect fit! Cool

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "Rotozip" tool is wonderful for cutting circles like that. The come with a circle cutting attachment.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowly but surely things are starting to get together, and today I 'dry-fitted' the bonnet, roll cage and headlights on HW2. Cool Unfortunately it started raining and I had to move it back into the garage before I could take more pics.. Sad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tanner_122
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any updates man?
adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick Update 27/07/2010

Today was pleasant and warm here in Jhb, and it almost felt like summer is on its way. I came home a little bit earlier than usual, and decided to start cutting the floorboards from the aluminium plate. This is the rough cut results, they still need to be trimmed slightly to fit inside the chassis:

The garage where HW2 is being stored was used by some builders who did work on the premises, and in spite of the fact that the buggy was covered, is was still a bit dusty, so HW2 got its first official WASH today, albeit with the body off the chassis Laughing

I trial-fitted the tail light housings, after spending about an hour to trim the edges of the metal, so that it fits the contours of the bodyshell perfectly. If all goes well, they will be chromed like those that were on HW1

LouisB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking really good.

--louis

Old people at weddings always poke me and say "Your next." So, I started doing the same to them at funerals.
adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to fetch the roll cage yesterday on the roof of the Squareback, after I had some changes done to it... got a few funny looks from fellow road users Laughing

adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update 14 August 2010

The aluminium floors are rivited in, and I am happy with the result Cool - however I am not very fond of the 'chequered plate look', so the entire floor and transmission tunnel will be carpeted later.

As I put the body and roll cage back, I covered HW2 with a tarpaulin for the dust (there are still construction workers busy upstairs). I noticed a little orange Ladybird on the back of the cover - checking out the scene - wonder if it was the spirit of HW1? Wink

MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing the wreck photos, all I have to say is that you are a brave man. not many would have got back in the saddle. looking good!!!
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Ruska B1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Adriaan.

Gert

'68 Meyers Manx
'71 US Opel GT
adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of time has past since my previous post, but in the meanwhile I've been busy with a few small things on HW2 - not really important enough to post here, but still neccessary to complete the project. At this stage I need to have the roll cage powder coated first, then I can carry on with the final assembly.

Got the front steel wheels back - not 100% happy with the work done on them, but they have to do for now. For now - a 'mock-up' pic I took this morning of HW2 to get an idea of what it will (hopefully) look like in the end..

After the pic was taken., I spent another 3 hours re-adjusting the rear torsion bars - as you can see in the pic the suspension was WAY too low in the back Laughing

manxbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adriaan pienaar wrote:
Got the front steel wheels back - not 100% happy with the work done on them, but they have to do for now. For now - a 'mock-up' pic I took this morning of HW2 to get an idea of what it will (hopefully) look like in the end..

That is a beautiful buggy! I like the retro smoothy steel wheels, but I’m also a big fan of the big and little Empi Sport Stars.

Will you be driving the buggy this summer?
LouisB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good man. What size tubing did you use for your cage. I like the looks of it.

Thanks,

--louis

Old people at weddings always poke me and say "Your next." So, I started doing the same to them at funerals.
Gone Blue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on the steel smoothy wheels, they look just right on your buggy. I too also like the Sportstars. What size rims and tires are you showing here? Thanks, G.B.
1600 Dual Port B Series motor
adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday, 9 December 2010 - FIRST TEST DRIVE!!

This afternoon (we are in a GMT+2 time zone) was the biggest highlight of the HW2 project so far - I took it for it's first test drive Cool Please don't get me wrong - the buggy is still VERY FAR from being finished (yet another target date - Dec '10 holidays - not made Sad ), but I actually drove it for the first time today for a few kilometers (and about 2 plastic Coke bottles of petrol Laughing ) here in Kensington South, Johannesburg. For the first time HW2 has left the garage under its own power, and it was quite an adventure, I must add, trying to avoid the MetroCops with a vehicle with no identification plates or disc, no windscreen, super smooth rear tyres (temporay, btw), no wipers, no functioning lights, dodgy brakes and backfiring like the machine guns of a Mitsubishi Zero during the Pearl Harbour attack (OK, only till I sorted the timing out Wink ) Almost lost the front wheel (forgot to fasten the wheel nuts Embarassed ) but I guess that happens to all of us some time or other...

I am quite impressed with the buggy's pullaway, accomplished by the two Solex carbs but the brakes are still not right, might even have to change the (Golf) master cylinder.

Still have to have the roll cage powder coated, windscreen fitted, seats & rails sorted out, rear wheels painted, BF Goodrich's fitted, wiper motor sorted out, complete the wiring.... actually it is still a loooooong list Shocked The chroming of the tail light housings and Ghia license plate cover also has to wait for a while.

Took these pics at Rhodes Park, got back home seconds before it started raining. Thanks once again to all for their support so far!

The only functional light at the moment - the reverse light! Laughing

Last edited by adriaan pienaar on Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
LouisB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks sharp. I bet that was a blast to drive it for the first time.

--louis

adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouisB wrote:
Looking good man. What size tubing did you use for your cage. I like the looks of it.

Thanks,

--louis

Thanks, Louis - only saw this now. The roll cage is sold by Volkspares South Africa with the Lolette kit, the diameter of the front roll bar (windscreen frame) and 'T'-pieces is 38mm, and the rear roll bar is 64mm.

Gone Blue wrote:
Ditto on the steel smoothy wheels, they look just right on your buggy. I too also like the Sportstars. What size rims and tires are you showing here? Thanks, G.B.

Thanks G_B - the front wheels are slightly wider rims with 165R15 tyres (standard Beetle, and the rear wheels are wider rims on 245/75R15 (normal ATV) tyres.
adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouisB wrote:
looks sharp. I bet that was a blast to drive it for the first time.

--louis

I'm having trouble getting the smile off my face Laughing Laughing Laughing
manxbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s a handsome buggy! Congratulations on reaching the ‘first drive’ milestone!

What exhaust system is that?

Rob
adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rob Cool The exhaust is a fairly common (in SA, at least) stainless steel 4-into-1 Buggy/Baja type with universal aftermarket VW J-pipes. I'm not very fond of the J-pipes passing underneath the cylinder heads, but I fitted slightly modified 36Hp heater box outers over them, and I am quite pleased with the effect in the end (the heater box outers also protect the pushrod tubes.)

I had the exhaust ceramic coated silver, it only appears white in the pic due to bad light in the overcast sky.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: