Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BluMaxx blowers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

larryducas wrote:
I would not use a plastic fan IMHO. PO installed one in my bus. I removed it melted, and clogging the duct. It was only PVC, same shape as blue max, but it depends how hot your heat gets.

Mine was where wildthings fan was.

If you read the entire thread you would see that my mods prevent the blower from getting too hot. I posted my actual temps in my second post on page 2.

stodge wrote:
Two different fans for two different applications,

Bilge blowers like that bluemax are high volume low pressure beasts. No good for pushing air down long or restricted ducts as they can't really generate any pressure.

All you need to do is add a bit of extra pressure to the original system. The bilge blower probably increases volume at moderate engine speeds by 50% or so, while at idle it is way more effective than the stock VW system, maybe doubling the volume at the defrosters. The only negative to using a bilge blower that I see are the noise and the melting, both of which problems I have solved to my satisfaction as posted earlier in this thread.

On my recent 1200 mile trip south mostly through eastern Oregon and Nevada, my only problem was melting stuff my wife stored in front of the added heater outlet under the rear bench seat. The Blumaxx still works as well as it did three years ago and I don't anticipate that it will fail soon, and if I did I would just buy a spare and carry it with me. At $26 plus shipping the very occasional loss of a blower just doesn't bother me much.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings, dont you love it when you say you have gone three years problem free, then someone tells you its gonna bow up right away and that you shouldnt have done it? dont you just love when people tell you what you can and cant do on you OWN bus? Rolling Eyes

Laughing

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Wildthings, dont you love it when you say you have gone three years problem free, then someone tells you its gonna bow up right away and that you shouldnt have done it? dont you just love when people tell you what you can and cant do on you OWN bus? Rolling Eyes

Laughing

Now you know why I keep my mouth closed around yours and just shake my head Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you use the 3 inch or the 4 inch in wildthings?

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Now you know why I keep my mouth closed around yours and just shake my head Laughing

That just sounds, well, wrong.....

Laughing
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
did you use the 3 inch or the 4 inch in wildthings?

I used a 3" blower IIRC
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samwise wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Laughing

You sir have a potty mind. I hope the soap makes it up there Rolling Eyes

Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
samwise wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Laughing

You sir have a potty mind. I hope the soap makes it up there Rolling Eyes

Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LMAO...that took me a few to get what he ment...Laughing

thats right jason, suck it. HA.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the issue at hand and a little update.

Took the bus for a drive to the east end of our community today - about 35 km round trip. Outside temp was a couple of degrees above freezing when I left home and closer to freezing 15 km out. Took the hvac thermometer and the temp at the dump tube outlet was 201deg.F. Inside the lower floor outlet was 151deg. and the defrost was 138deg. Thermometer was left in for about 3 min. in each location. This was after about 20 min. of driving.

I was surprised to see the 201 at the dump tube. The others are what I normally see after a half hr. or so. The next question is where is the temp. drop happening so the bus will be going on the hoist to see where some insulation could be most effective. All the joints are tight and I have an all metal booster fan under the front floor.

I'm not complainimg as the cab temp. is very nice and combined with a heated seat the driving experience is great. I would like to reduce the heat loss nonetheless.

FYI.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, heated seat is on my list....eventually...Laughing

and im going to get a booster fan for near the pedal area also, as i want more air pressure, temp is good already (could be much better if my heater boxes werent effed) so i will do the simple things first Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pittwagen wrote:

I was surprised to see the 201 at the dump tube.

What is the "dump tube"?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the tubes that dump the heat at the HEX in the back when the flaps are shut, so from outside the bus, right back by the HEX? (Heat EXchangers)

i could be wrong, but iv heard them called that before...

206-841-7324
[email protected]
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWDruid wrote:
http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?p=129702
any one seen Nigel?

Did someone mention my name!?!

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bajatacoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I'd try that I feel helped me was to change the corrugated tube running rear to front for a smooth tube. The corrugations disrupt the airflow. A smooth straight pipe is also much easier to insulate which also seems to help.

Of course all of this needs to be done in conjunction with sealing up as many leaks as possible including the nose vent and insulating the metal walls/roof. Replacing the fittings where the pedals go through the floor definitely helps keep your feet warmer as does adding some insulation, even if it's just a carpet scrap.

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?
Hunter S Thompson
ManFromNapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pittwagen wrote:
I use a 3 speed resistor pack and switch from a Rabbit to control the second T4 bus fan (all metal construction) that I have under the floor at the front.

I think I will do the same thing. Can you share a "parts list"? I'm looking at a fan control switch for a Beetle that I could install into my bus, but I'd love a recommendation on a resistor pack, or a list of the resistors you used.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It goes without saying that your heating system needs to be working correctly with all parts installed and it needs to be as leak free as it can be. Without that you are wasting your time. What year is your bus?

I listed the 3 major components - 3 speed switch and resistor pack (one piece) that works with the switch from a Rabbit and the all metal blower assembly from an early T4 bus. Don't know when they changed to plastic but my 79 is plastic as was the 77 I recently parted. I would be concerned that the plastic blowers may not surviive the heat. Another advantage to the early blowers is the motor can be easily taken apart and rebuilt if needed.

The items may be available in the Classified or over on the VW Vortex (for the Rabbit parts) or if you are lucky someone may be parting a vehicle near you. You will also need a couple of pieces of muffler pipe to link the inlet and one outlet of the blower and some hose clamps and a bracket to hold the 3 speed rabbit switch under the edge of the dash. The other outlet is blocked off. You need to remove the flap in the one discharge side of the blower. I removed the other one as well even though that side is blocked off. Didn't want any rattles. I made a plug from some 22 ga. sheet. There is a photo of the under floor installation in my gallery - pg. 3 towards the bottom.
ManFromNapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks pittwagen.

I have a 71. No leaks in my heating, and everything works. It's just not a lot of air.

I was mostly concerned with the resistor pack. I was thinking about reusing a heater fan switch from a Beetle. Position 1 = off, positon 2 = Resistor to fan (low speed), position 3 no resistor (high speed).

Would something like this resistor work?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-5206436?seid=google&gclid=CMi8n96l2LUCFQ7NnAodfEIApg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you on the beetle switch and that resistor pack. The stock blower draws about 10 amps at startup. I tried some so called heavy duty switches with a resistor built in. No go. Just wouldn't handle the amperage and overheated immediately. The rabbit resistor unit has worked well over three years and 7500+ km.

If you are running the T1 heater boxes I suspect you would see about 155 deg. maximum at the heater box outlet. My 73 beetle shows about 155 deg. at the lower footwell.

By the time the air gets to the front it has probably cooled 30+ degrees. A good quality in line blower may survive that heat. The questions you need to answer are:
- will it impact the airflow when not on?
- will it distort and warp again with it not running and the hot air passing over it?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, i jsut installed two of these, in seperate busses.

one the guy loves.

the second the guy LOVED.

past tense. it melted on him.

best guess is the first guys heater doesnt put out a lot of heat, and the second ones did, and it melted. either way, going to run a inlet tube right in before the fan and do it again. thinking about using the under seat vent in the rear as a intake for the fan, along with the heat from the engine, to recirculate and heat the cabin air.

i mounted them both right dead center of the bus, in the middle of the fat heater tube. one was wired to a on off switch, and the other one i wired directly into the hear control switch on the dash, so when you pull down on the red lever (both of these were 77 campers) the engine booster fan, AND the inline fan will turn on. once i have the new fan figured out, ill put up more info.

on a side note, i think i can get more heat out of mine if i go through it a little more in depth, so i wont be modifying mine for a little bit, but when i do, ill be putting in the 4" one, dead center in the bigger tube. should put out quite a bit more CFM then a 3" one, creating a better defrost ability. Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a key component of Wildthing's setup, is that he only used one heat exchanger to the fan, (the other is diverted under the rear seats.) He also uses the walk-thru vent as a cool-air intake for the fan, and the fan is mounted in FRONT of the walk-thru vent. All these things work together, which is likely why his fan has lasted so long. It's no surprise that if you dump BOTH heat exchangers on the fan with NO cool air intake the fan will melt Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: