Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 transmission questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: 68 transmission questions Reply with quote

Hi,

I know the 68 bus transmission has 6 nuts behind the CV flange instead of the 2 screws found on 69> transmissions... But are there any other differences? Is it weaker or different ratios to the later style?

I have a 69 Westy and my transmission is noisy as hell. Was planning on getting it rebuilt but have found a 'good used' 68 transmission that Im considering buying but want to find out as much as I can before going for it.

Cheers, Neil

See more of our work here:
www.instagram.com/retrorestoration
www.facebook.com/retrorestos
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission questions Reply with quote

For a US spec rig the gearing can be found in the TECHNICAL section, no clue what VW might have used in Europe.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission questions Reply with quote

68 is a 1 year wonder in a lot of ways.

unless it's cheap or free i'd pass. if you were doing a 100 point concours d'elegance restoration on a 68 you may want to pick it up.

last i knew my transmission guy won't even take one as a core because they were THAT goofy

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission questions Reply with quote

To be blunt it was the poorest design and weakest transmission VW ever created for the bus, it did not even make it all the way through the entire 68 bus production year. Decades ago there were some transmission shops that could and would do the machining for better bearings to fix some of the issues the 68 trans had.

Put your money in getting your 69 trans rebuilt, not worth the headache of doing the swap. By the way there is no such thing as a good used 68 transmission.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission questions Reply with quote

Nope! Don't do it. Like busman78 said "a poor design." So poor in fact The design was only installed on new production for the first six months. The diff bearing retainers are not the only major flaw of these early IRS transaxles. The pinion bearing and it's retainers are a steaming turd sammich as well! I'm willing to bet the 68 bus trans you were looking into already had a bad ring and pinion.

Other than the stupid design of the diff and pinion bearings and retainers the gear ratios are same same. The fix (if the ring and pinion are good.) was to recase the transaxle with the updated case and treaded collars. No real machining per se just some early to late parts swapping.
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission questions Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll leave it then, cheers.

The transmission in my Westy isnt the original. Its a later 3 rib with the 2 lugs at the top of the bell housing. It doesn't pop out of gear or anything but its so noisy when under load. Iv done quite a few miles with no issues, other than a headache Laughing

Im not doing a 100% resto on it, I bought it for family holidays Very Happy
I might restore it at some point but its got a later 1600 twin port in it too so not fussed about it being 100% correct.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cheers

See more of our work here:
www.instagram.com/retrorestoration
www.facebook.com/retrorestos
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
relevitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission questions Reply with quote

Nice bus. Cool
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission questions Reply with quote

Very nice Bus! Cool Cool
brookmp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission questions Reply with quote

If I may piggy back on your thread...

I too have a '68 Westfalia with a very noisy (and highly likely, original) transmission. I've been given a '71 transmission to swap it with. Can I replace a '68 transmission with a '71 without any major modifications? Will it need machining, etc?

Thanks Smile
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission questions Reply with quote

direct bolt in but you will have to change your throw out bearing and pressure plate to the 71 style

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission questions Reply with quote

Just want to chime in to say that if your transmission is getting noisy but it is otherwise working fine, you should address it sooner rather than later. Depending on what the issue is it may be a relatively minor fix (though probably still requiring a rebuild) but you may save valuable and rare parts that you risk destroying if you keep running it.

I saved myself a very expensive and rare ring & pinion recently by doing this. The noise was telling me something was wrong and indeed there was but thankfully I caught it before damaging the r&p.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission questions Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
direct bolt in but you will have to change your throw out bearing and pressure plate to the 71 style

Or else remove the guide sleeve from the '71 and swap in the old bearing and shaft.

Or else swap the entire bell housings - will look funny because the '68 B.H. is about 1/2" narrower than on the
later 002's, but will work fine.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission questions Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
68 is a 1 year wonder in a lot of ways.

unless it's cheap or free i'd pass. if you were doing a 100 point concours d'elegance restoration on a 68 you may want to pick it up.

last i knew my transmission guy won't even take one as a core because they were THAT goofy

I've been looking for a 68. They all need love.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ron miche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission questions Reply with quote

I bought a 68 ambumance with a lsd factory

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: