Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horizon Blue Wheel Color
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Horizon Blue Wheel Color Reply with quote

Yes I do, and I have posted them many times over the years.
Horizon Blue was introduced in April 1956, and the documentation clearly says the wheel colours.
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Horizon Blue Wheel Color Reply with quote

IN2VWs

I always love your literature and documentation, miss your website. Do you host all the past info anywhere? All that dealer info on the m codes was great, seems you had more than here
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Horizon Blue Wheel Color Reply with quote

Sorry, so it was April 1956, ok that's when L331 was introduced, not August 1955.

Thanks

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Horizon Blue Wheel Color Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
IN2VWs

I always love your literature and documentation, miss your website. Do you host all the past info anywhere? All that dealer info on the m codes was great, seems you had more than here

I lost it all when the host did an upgrade, that went wrong.....Sorry. I still have a bit on my PC, and a bit in my head.....but much of that was lost when I got smacked in the head in a car accident......
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Horizon Blue Wheel Color Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:
Sorry, so it was April 1956, ok that's when L331 was introduced, not August 1955.

Thanks

Tom

Yes.....and the wheels were not Horizon Blue.......Maybe on Canadian standard bugs.....Not sure what they did there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Horizon Blue Wheel Color Reply with quote

IN2VWS wrote:
Blauchen L331 wrote:

Thanks

Tom

Yes.....and the wheels were not Horizon Blue.......Maybe on Canadian standard bugs.....Not sure what they did there.

Yes.....I did mention, April 1956 for the Horizon Blue, that's the introduction date....

But sorry, I've seen 1956 cars that are one owner cars with the original tires and the outers ARE Horizon Blue straight from the factory, your paperwork is WRONG, sorry 1956 cars HAD body colored outer wheel rims, in Germany and in the United States till at least August 1956.
What you're trying to say is that the L331 cars never had body color painted out rims, that's NOT CORRECT.

After August 1956 that the darker so called Greyish-Blue L33 paint was used on the outer wheel rims and all through the 1957 Oval model, up until July.

This looks like it's from that book that was published back in the 70's or early 80's and it was fill of wrong information. It's not an official VW document but put together from a collector , there's other mistakes there too, from other cars as well.

Tom
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR

Last edited by Blauchen L331 on Wed May 22, 2019 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Horizon Blue Wheel Color Reply with quote

No....It is from factory information published in 1956. I think in 1956, the factory knew what they were doing at that time, and published the correct information.

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Horizon Blue Wheel Color Reply with quote

IN2VWS wrote:
No....It is from factory information published in 1956.

Ok then I know a couple hundred cars that were painted WRONG at the factory.....in 1956. :p

You tell all the 1956 owners that they are wrong, driving all original cars with L331 colored wheels, to say that their wheels are the wrong color is just wrong, and they are European and USA cars, not Canadian.

There's a famous VW collectors book that people used as a bible and it's got wrong information in it too, it can't be a mistake when a one owner 1956 car with it's original tires has body painted wheels from the factory........????
Tell me why that is? Don't believe everything VW has printed, they made mistakes too........to say that NO L331 cars had body colored outer rims is wrong.

Tom

Last edited by Blauchen L331 on Wed May 22, 2019 2:09 am; edited 2 times in total
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Horizon Blue Wheel Color Reply with quote

I have shown you the evidence that I have....Please show evidence of your theory.
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Horizon Blue Wheel Color Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1386736128...mp;theater

Very well known all original UNRESTORED French car, note: L331 wheel color.

There's hundreds of 1956 cars with body color wheels straight from the factory, also see the Horizon Blue Group at Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/808135989201765/

Not all of them are painted right, but the UNRESTORED 1956 cars will always have body colored outer rims.

Tom

Last edited by Blauchen L331 on Wed May 22, 2019 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Horizon Blue Wheel Color Reply with quote

The first link you sent.....Are you sure that is original paint?
Of course, photos can be deceiving, but the white on the wheel centres look too 'white'.
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Horizon Blue Wheel Color Reply with quote

IN2VWS wrote:
The first link you sent.....Are you sure that is original paint?
Of course, photos can be deceiving, but the white on the wheel centres look too 'white'.

Pretty sure that's original paint on that car................I even have heard of early 1957 cars having body colored paint, as well and that is still being looked into.

I'm sure my wheels are correct because they are L33 Greyish-Blue, but I also have a spare tire that's Horizon with an original tire, so I have to look at the wheel date.

Coral Red cars also had body color paint on their wheels as well as the Dark Brown, also 1956 to 57 the VW emblem on the hub caps changed from body color to black.

Lot's going on in 1957 with VW........

Tom
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Horizon Blue Wheel Color Reply with quote

Factory literature has really tamed my bloated ego in regards to what I thought I remembered seeing over the past 45 years of playing with these things.

I used to believe that there were some body colored wheel combos but after seeing a lot of original wheels over the years and doing some research in trying to find color coded for wheels I realized that was not the case.

Because of the lack of color codes available for wheels restorers would 'do their best' to match and usually just use body color.

I know 55/56 was a crazy year for VW and a lot of changes occured. Since I no longer have the 'know it all disease' I fall back on actual documentation be it factory or photo evidence. Observations in real life are invaluable IF you have the skills to tell original vs. restored. The problem today is that 'restorations' occured in the 70s and 80 for these older vehicles and today might pass off as original paint due to age. Even earlier repairs make it more difficult to tell the difference some times.

One bit of advice I can offer in regard to VW correctness is to have an open mind and remember the human brain is not perfect and will fill in the blanks to make you feel better.
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Horizon Blue Wheel Color Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Factory literature has really tamed my bloated ego in regards to what I thought I remembered seeing over the past 45 years of playing with these things.

I used to believe that there were some body colored wheel combos but after seeing a lot of original wheels over the years and doing some research in trying to find color coded for wheels I realized that was not the case.

Because of the lack of color codes available for wheels restorers would 'do their best' to match and usually just use body color.

I know 55/56 was a crazy year for VW and a lot of changes occured. Since I no longer have the 'know it all disease' I fall back on actual documentation be it factory or photo evidence. Observations in real life are invaluable IF you have the skills to tell original vs. restored. The problem today is that 'restorations' occured in the 70s and 80 for these older vehicles and today might pass off as original paint due to age. Even earlier repairs make it more difficult to tell the difference some times.

One bit of advice I can offer in regard to VW correctness is to have an open mind and remember the human brain is not perfect and will fill in the blanks to make you feel better.

So what about the cars that still have their original tires still on them and are UNRESTORED? Never had their wheels repainted, etc.
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Horizon Blue Wheel Color Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:

So what about the cars that still have their original tires still on them and are UNRESTORED? Never had their wheels repainted, etc.

Please post pics of the original unrestored Horizon Blue wheels that you mention, because I cannot find any in this topic. (genuine request, not to cause an argument)
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Horizon Blue Wheel Color Reply with quote

here is a pic that Tom commented on today on FB stating its a horizon blue wheel.

Tom Eitnier wrote:
August 55 to August 56 the wheels, where painted this way, L33 Grey-Blue didn't come till after August 56 to July 57, like my car is.....That's a 1956 wheel...........!!!! 100% correct color for 1956 only, Horizon Blue outsides.

I asked for a date on the rim to narrow down the possibilities but it looks just like a L30 rim I had from a Fjord Blue sedan.

Since horizon blue was not available til April 56 what color would a horizon blue wheel be correct for from 8/55-3/56?

Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Horizon Blue Wheel Color Reply with quote

I'm not here to argue, I know IN2VWS has an amazing collection of literature and it does say in black and white April 1956 to July 57 outer rim L33 (sorry I made a color start mistake sometime in 1955, I'm sorry about that, none of us has a perfect memory)

Yet, after living in Germany for over 12 years seeing countless UNRESTORED cars since the early 1980's, the 1956 cars keep turning up with body painted outer wheel rims? Yet you don't see that on 1957 cars.

Can it be that hundreds if not thousands of remaining 1956 L331 cars all have the wrong painted wheels?

I know my wheels are all original, they are that Greyish Blue L33 color, but I have a spare tire that's Body color, (not the original spare) but it has to come from somewhere?

I just can't imagine that so many 1956 wheels are the wrong color?

I don't have the date code on my spare, I'll try to get that shortly.

Tom
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Horizon Blue Wheel Color Reply with quote

56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Horizon Blue Wheel Color Reply with quote

Here is a 1956 Horizon blue for sale. Owner claims unrestored rims.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2281939

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
karmann77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Horizon Blue Wheel Color Reply with quote

I've very recently acquired a very nice unrestored 56 Horizon Blue big and it has these unrestored wheels on it, just thought I’d add them to this thread.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: