Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just purchased a van that seems a little...screwy...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Just purchased a van that seems a little...screwy... Reply with quote

1986 Westy Syncro, manual, locking diff.

Here is the deal, this is a 7 seater, from the factory. Now I realize this is possible, but it seems soooo unlikely. Of course this could have been requested from the customer, but has anyone actually seen a set-up like this? So to be clean, two rows of seats, no table, no rear cabinet, no A/C. Taking to the shop in a few days to verify...I hope it is the real deal because it was a decent deal! BTW - I do not have the van in front of me, so I cannot verify at this time. May have some additional pics today. thanks!
Johnny

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have a pop-top and say "Westfalia" on it?

Cheers,
-Bill
'89 Syncro GL
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didn't make them like that from the factory.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're saying you have a "pop-top" van with a 7 seater interior. Is that what you mean is screwy?

yes. that is screwy. they didn't come like that, and I'm 99% sure you couldn't order them like that. Not in the US anways. If it has a pop top, someone probably put it on.

There are a few ways to be certain. First and foremost is the VIN. The 4th "digit" in your VIN specifies the body type. Factory Westfalias have a 'Z'.

The 11th "digit" being a G means it was a stock syncro. That specifies the assembly plant where it was put together. I know thats not in question here, but its one I often look at.

Usually its pretty obvious if it was a westy (and why would someone want to convert it to the less desirable passenger van?!)
If it was a factory westy, there will be nutplates in the floor where the fridge/sink cabinet mounted, and more in the back where the rear seat mounts. You'll have some holes in the rear sheet metal near the engine cover where the cabinets were assembled. There were also holes in the body for the water/power hookups and vent that would have been filled.

If it was a factory weekender, it may be a little trickier to tell, and I know lots less about those. Check the battery box under the passenger seat. Weekenders and westys had a black "box" that was riveted to the body, with a small vent to the outside (to the wheel well) at the bottom of the box. Passenger syncro vans didn't have this black box... just a normal cover and no vent. Most weekenders had rear facing seats behind the front seats, you'll see the brackets or holes where they were.

My money would be that someone installed the pop top on a passenger van.
Some people just cut a hole in the roof and bolt on the pop top. The correct way IMHO is to cut the entire roof assembly out at the spot welds and transplant it to the passenger van.

Unless they were a pro, you'll be able to see evidence of either a big hole cut, or welds where they did the transplant.

Post up some pics and show it off. There's no shame in having a "fake" syncro pop top (I'm doing one right now, actually)

And make sure you replace the fuel lines Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
There's no shame in having a "fake" syncro pop top

Not unless you buy it from someone that is claiming it's a real Westy and you trust them.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Not unless you buy it from someone that is claiming it's a real Westy and you trust them.

Agreed... Classicvibe, I hope you didn't pay the going rate for a westy sycnro for this van.

I'd expect to pay $3000-$5000 for a passenger syncro in good running, well maintained condition, and no rust.

An incorrect pop top install devalues the van, and if it was cut at the pillars its actually makes it unsafe in an accident or rollover.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Updated Pictures! Reply with quote

Excuse me, I feel like I am at a loss on this, and appreciate your assistance. I like the van a lot, and even though the top looks screwy, I would be down, as long as it was original, and does not have some screwy functionality issues. I am not familiar with the earlier Westfalia tops, but this looks a little weird to me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Full pics here Reply with quote

http://scoot.net/gallery/austria3/johnny/

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an ASI top. The ASI vin will appear the same as a 7-passenger syncro. Looks like the proper ASI hole was cut and since they converted vans after-the-fact, then a customer would have certainly been able to keep the 7-passenger interior. I'm not saying the top WAS added by ASI, but I don't see anything to indicate otherwise.
simd0ggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never heard of an ASI without the ASI camper interior... Still seems like some PO cut it and bolted on...

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.”
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Full pics here Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
http://scoot.net/gallery/austria3/johnny/

Thats an ASI/Riviera conversion. They were a US based company that converted passenger vans to campers... though I've never seen a syncro.

Its definitely not a westfalia.

Last edited by edgood1 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simd0ggie wrote:
I never heard of an ASI without the ASI camper interior... Still seems like some PO cut it and bolted on...

Yeah, it seems a little weird to me too. In my head I thought they stopped converting vans around the time they went water cooled.... '83 or so... but I have no evidence to back that up.
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: So in the world of Campers... Reply with quote

Is the ASI conversion regarded as good, and comparable to the Westfalia? It seems very similar, and if it is real, it seems quite rare and pretty cool. Yes, what I am really asking for is an opinion on this. I intend to convert to a weekender, so if this is the real deal, at $8k this seems like a great deal-the interior looks nice. What do you think?
Thanks, love the Vanagon obsessed tribe here...

edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: So in the world of Campers... Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
Is the ASI conversion regarded as good, and comparable to the Westfalia? It seems very similar, and if it is real, it seems quite rare and pretty cool. Yes, what I am really asking for is an opinion on this. I intend to convert to a weekender, so if this is the real deal, at $8k this seems like a great deal-the interior looks nice. What do you think?
Thanks, love the Vanagon obsessed tribe here...

I don't mean to be mean at all here but $8k seems high. If you were told it was a Westfalia when you bought it, the seller was not honest.

I see you said its an '86. How many miles are on it?

If it is low miles, the AWD and rear locker is working , has all the maintenance done and documented it *might* be worth $8k.

I don't think it is a genuine ASI conversion for a few reasons: 1.) its only the top and not the full ASI/Riviera package. 2.) I don't think they did conversions past 1984 ( a quick search on google and I could find any water-cooled ASI/Riviera conversions.)

If it works for you and thats what you were willing to pay, thats cool. But if the seller was not honest as to what they were selling.... thats not right... If they were advertising a westfalia syncro for $8K that is a lie, and I'm sure some people would have called them on it...

westy syncro's just don't sell for that low, unless the seller doesn't know what they have.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this page that includes information on the ASI/Riviera conversion:

http://wetwesties.tripod.com/riviera/

It confirms my suspicion that they did not convert any water-cooled vanagons. From that documentation, it appears that they didn't offer a "pop-top" only option. that's not to say its impossible, but the more likely explanation is that someone transplanted the roof only from an '80-'83.5 air cooled ASI/Riviera vanagon.

I hope this helps. I just want to make sure you know what you have here.
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. From a purely practical point of view, I think that's a highly, highly desirable set-up. Now that I have kids and move people around, the standard 7-passenger has a lot of appeal. It can still be great camping rig with or withoutthe middle bench installed), but you get a more "car-like" functionality for the day-to-day. Rear facing seats are a poor substitute for front-facing for any situation but camping, and its nice to have your passengers in hollering distance or where you can interact a bit more with the little ones (instead of having them WAY back there).

From a camping-with-kids perspective, its pretty great because you can all sit towards the front and all the stuff can be in the "back" with the rear bench down.

I've actually thought recently that my ideal rig for my current life would be a poptop syncro in a front-facing 7-passenger configuration. Call me crazy, but its a super practical set-up. Especially if your rig is 80% family-hauler and 20% camping/tailgating/etc. Granted the ASI doesn't have the classic westy look, but I'd definitely pay $8k for that if it was mechanically strong and the body was in good shape. I have a similar vertical poptop (country homes camper) and it really like the space of the upper bunk.
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Check out these pics Reply with quote

Here are some photos I found of another Riviera.

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o150/kingpin1938/riviera/

What do you think? Seems like mine is a little "shatty" on the install, mainly looking at that interior black gasket, it's not quite as nice as the piece that this rig has.

ALTHOUGH: They both seems to have the same bolt pattern on the side of the Fiberglass.

j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelhead wrote:
Call me crazy, but its a super practical set-up. Especially if your rig is 80% family-hauler and 20% camping/tailgating/etc.

I guess I'm crazy , too.

I've been mulling over the "modular" Vanagon/Camper concept for several yrs now.

I am slowing morphing my Westy in that direction.

I have the middle forward facing bench. And like having it as an option when the kids friends or and aunt/uncle grandparent is going to tag along.
The seat weighs a ton unfortunately so it is not such an "easy" install/ removal.. but not so much that it can't get done in a couple minutes.

I converted the Westy bench to two front buckets.. (a modification in process.. aren't they all) and it still functions as the fold out bed it was intended as for sleeping.

The Westy fridge/sink cabinet is currently out.. and that provides a lot more room for hauling loads to boat, cabin, beach and camping. So I am looking into ways to make that unit more "modular" with quick connects for the plumbing and the electrical.. If I could get the removal/install of the cabinet down to 10 mintues or less? I'd cut handholds into the sides or use some type of bracket for ease in pulling it out.

We tend to cook out on a Coleman stove when camping and the food tends to stay in a large cooler.

My rear Westy cabinetry will likely stay "permanantly installed".. but who knows.. I'm retrofitting a new-to-me AC system soon and that might change, too.

Who knows?
I've got seating for 6 when needed. A full camper when needed. And a large hauler that can fit 8x4 sheets of ply (tilted) when needed or 12 ft spin poles.

I don't have room for more vehicles.. so why not make one do more?
Pretty useful rigs, these vans.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're both crazy.

Don't worry about it being rare, just make sure it was well done.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were lots of watercooled ASI Campers sold. I have been in a few 85s and my family owns an 83 that I worked on a few days ago. It has left enough coolant on my driveway over the years.

Don't recall any Syncro ones though. The ASI top is inferior in materials and workmanship to a Westy top but still does the job just fine.

Mark

edgood1 wrote:
I found this page that includes information on the ASI/Riviera conversion:

http://wetwesties.tripod.com/riviera/

It confirms my suspicion that they did not convert any water-cooled vanagons. From that documentation, it appears that they didn't offer a "pop-top" only option. that's not to say its impossible, but the more likely explanation is that someone transplanted the roof only from an '80-'83.5 air cooled ASI/Riviera vanagon.

I hope this helps. I just want to make sure you know what you have here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: