Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just purchased a van that seems a little...screwy...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Check-up tomorrow, added some new pics Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The seller sent me some new pictures of the API conversion and I have included them to the other photos here:

http://scoot.net/gallery/austria3/johnny/

I also included an interior shot. Seems to look pretty good, but what do the Vanagon Pros think?

Assuming the check-up goes well, I will be driving this home this weekend. I have been looking for quite some time for an affordable Syncro with a pop-top that was in good condition, and assuming this top is original, I think it fits the bill. I also like the 7-pass set-up since I am hauling kids around. We get huge snow, and ski a lot here in Salt Lake, and we like to play on the rocks in Moab as well, and I have not been able to find a vehicle that will do better in my budget, or actually any at all other than the Vanagon. If you need clearance, traction, wheelbase, interior space, rack storage, ability to work on car yourself, modular capabilities, etc., etc., this may be my dream vehicle! I will take come better pics and post more as I learn more about it.

Thanks all for your posts. Love to hear anything else you have to add.

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
What do you think? Seems like mine is a little "shatty" on the install, mainly looking at that interior black gasket, it's not quite as nice as the piece that this rig has.

ALTHOUGH: They both seems to have the same bolt pattern on the side of the Fiberglass.

If the headliner isn't stained then you probably aren't leaking. As far the cosmetics go, post some close-ups of the black gasket, there may be ways to to improve the look. The country homes camper top is very similar (may actually share a few parts...like the ceiling). In retrofitting my van with the CHC top I had to create some custom stuff to join it, both physically and aesthetically. I may have some ideas for you.

j_dirge wrote:
I've been mulling over the "modular" Vanagon/Camper concept for several yrs now.

I am slowing morphing my Westy in that direction.

Funny, I'm coming at it from the other direction. Started w/a weekender configuration, added a poptop, seat swivel, aux batteries, etc., but have recently been designing a removable kitchen unit, as well as removable childseat platform. Now looking for a middle bench seat that I can swap in as needed. Modular is practical for me.
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: How funny is this? Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-VW-Volkswagen-...06.c0.m245

I guess this is reasonable evidence that they were doing them in '86?! So, maybe not so weird that mine could be original.

IrideWheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added the same ASI poptop to my 7-passenger syncro this spring. I found the top on Craigslist for less than $300, still on the donor van.

The top was very dirty when I got it. Here in the PNW anyghing that sits still will grow mold and eventually giant Douglas Fir trees will start sprouting out of it. Mushrooms too.

I spent an afternoon with Krud Kleener, a stiff brush about as big as my hand and a tooth brush. It came out sparkling white!

I like the function of the top. I agree that it's not as sturdy as the factory top but I think it's acceptable.

We haven't slept in it yet this summer because the matress was pretty disgusting and I haven't had a chance to make a new one. I was considering buying the Eurovan Camper lower matress pad from GoWesty becuase it's nearly the same size as an ASI poptop matress. Check it out, it's nice because the cover is made from a very durable material but, as usual from GW, it's expensive - http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4271&category_id=&category_parent_id=

I love how much crap you can store up there while camping and the huge screen windows are fantastic.

I say go for it, if you have the cash!
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Check-up tomorrow, added some new pics Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
We get huge snow, and ski a lot here in Salt Lake, . . . and I have not been able to find a vehicle that will do better in my budget, or actually any at all other than the Vanagon. If you need clearance, traction, wheelbase, interior space, rack storage, ability to work on car yourself, modular capabilities, etc., etc., this may be my dream vehicle! . . . Love to hear anything else you have to add.

I lived in Salt Lake and drove both a 2WD vanagon and a syncro up to the ski resorts. The syncro is great in the snow, especially if the viscous coupling is working well, and especially with good snow tires. The 2WD was good with nokian snow tires, as long as I didn't mash on the gas pedal and make the rear end swing around! Either way it's great to have a van for changing clothes and ski boots, etc.

I have done most of my own work but when I have been stumped or needed a hand I took my van to Utah Imports on State Street (it's hidden in the middle of the 900 block). They are a family business that's been there for decades, and they know their vanagons. I highly recommend them if you need help with your new van. I also recommend consulting the Samba!
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

I wanted to thank everyone for contributing here. In the end, I felt like that van was NOT the van of my dreams, although it did fit the basic requirements, and I do think those Riviera tops are cool, they just aren't the norm like the Westfalia tops. They have some great space and good construction.

In a Craigslist frantic fit I actually found my dream van for about the same price...a 1986 Syncro Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender w/pop-top. Having it transported across the country in the next week or so. Actually I found two, the other was for sale by a rather eccentric dude for $18k!

Anyway, invaluable forum. I have been "stalking" for years. It is nice to finally jump in.

mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks! Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
1986 Syncro Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender w/pop-top.

Did you buy it sight unseen?
I don't think they made an 86 GL Syncro that was a Wolfsburg.
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: I don't think they did either Reply with quote

It has the Wolfsburg tag on it, and first of all I don't even know what that means, I mean, I know what Wolfsburg means, but what implications it would have for this particular model, who knows. I have yet to find information on this model combination being possible (Wofsburg + Syncro + Weekender), but he claims it was not just "stuck" on there randomly. To me (in the pictures) it looks identical to the regular Syncro Weekender '86.

Not site unseen, although not in person either. He shot the entire body, interior and undercariage for me. I am pretty clear on the issues I have to deal with, but the price is fair, and makes allowances for the work.

mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From pictures is site unseen.
Pictures can be very deceiving.
Wolfsburgs were special models of VW's that had added higher end features.
They sell Wolfsburg badges on Ebay, easy to stick one on.
Or it could be a Wolfsburg somebody made into a syncro.
Did you check the Vin?
Something like that would make me real suspicious.
Did it seem like a real good deal for a Westy Syncro?
I would hope I bought a real one and not somebodys hillbilly hackjob.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't think they did either Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
It has the Wolfsburg tag on it, and first of all I don't even know what that means, I mean, I know what Wolfsburg means, but what implications it would have for this particular model, who knows. I have yet to find information on this model combination being possible (Wofsburg + Syncro + Weekender), but he claims it was not just "stuck" on there randomly. To me (in the pictures) it looks identical to the regular Syncro Weekender '86.

Are you sure its a syncro? If you got a syncro westy for $8k consider yourself very lucky.

When you say across the country, I hope its not coming from the east (rust) coast.

Post up some pics.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't think they did either Reply with quote

Don't worry, VW sold the 86 Syncro Wolfsburg Campers in the US. I have seen many, and there were 2 at the 2009 Syncro Safari a few weeks ago. IIRC all the 86 ones I have seen came either white or beige/gold, both with tan cord interior fabric though many have new fabric since that cord stuff self destructs quickly. A friend of mine has one we worked on last week.

Mark

Classicvibe wrote:

Not site unseen, although not in person either. He shot the entire body, interior and undercariage for me. I am pretty clear on the issues I have to deal with, but the price is fair, and makes allowances for the work.
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the pix color is off but looks like grey seats and brown panels with no asi interior looks like a prev owner kept busy
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Pix Reply with quote

You can see some pictures here. I do consider myself fortunate to have found this, but as you can see in the pictures, I have some work ahead of me. Straight from the rust coast. It was a bit over 8k, but not much.

http://scoot.net/gallery/austria3/Johnny/

http://scoot.net/gallery/austria3/johnny/
(scroll to the bottom)

There is a capital "Johnny" on the top one, and a small "johnny" on the bottom.

Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Model Reply with quote

It should be this one:

http://www.vanagon.com/info/years/1986/index.html#1986_vanagon_camper_syncro

Although I think the swiveling seats and trip computer are not on mine. But still no mention of the Wolfsburg. There is mention of an '86 1/2 at the bottom-I have seen those, they are identical in the interior to mine. There is one in the classifieds now: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=833745

Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Original Reply with quote

VIN = Germany - Volkswagen - MPV - Kombi - 4 Cylinder Water Cooled - Vanagon - 1986 - Graz

I read somewhere that VW released '86.5 edition that was a Wolfsburg. The price seems good on this, but I am a noob that is simply stoked to own one! The work needed may be painful. I have spent years (20) hunting down vintage scooters, lambretta, Vespa etc., and restoring them. This feels the same, looking for the "barn find" or the unmolestered original. I am willing to take on a little work to make it beautiful and awesome again, and consider this an awesome alternative to converting a Westy MV to a Syncro, or a Syncro to Westy Weekender.

I was hoping for the '87 version, but man, talk about greedy, I think I am lucky enough to have found this model. Just dealing with the transportation services now...good god, what a racket. I found a site called "uship.com" which is theoretically cool because drivers can bid on your shipment and go around the origination (clerk) that adds a few hundred on for their efforts. I say theoretical because the amazingly priced transports have not emerged yet. We'll see.

There are a couple of great shops in my area to help. Utah Imports specializes in VW, and have a great reputation with the ol'skool dudes. Concourse Auto Werks is also near...the mechanics have worked on all my VWs and Audis over the years, very talented, mellow and cool. Soooo, I will try to fix things myself, break them, then hand it over to these guys, repeat until this baby is back to original gangster form!

As a side note, I should mention that I am involved with various manufacturing groups in China. I pitched the Syncro fender flares to our molding group. Even at China prices this looks expensive (a likely reason the original VW flares are two-piece), but I should have some firm numbers soon. I will pitch this over on that related post(s) as well, but if you have a set you can spare for a while and want a free set if we continue with production, send me an email.

We have also designed what I am temporarily calling the "Rear Hygiene Station" which is a (carbon-likely) fiber piece molded to fit on the back of the locker/closet (exposed when opening rear door hatch). It has a mirror as well as modular fittings that lay flat up against the fiber piece (so the hatch can close), and can be folded down (out-horizontal) when the hatch is opened, exposing a vanity-type area. A fabric sink (with grey water drainage), a closed shelf, and open shelf, cylindrical holders, etc.. The idea is that fresh water will be available at this station as well. Modular so that you can switch out parts to make it work exactly how you need. Pretty damn excited about this part, as all weekender folks will (hopefully) be.

mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
I will pitch this over on that related post(s) as well, but if you have a set you can spare for a while and want a free set if we continue with production, send me an email.

We have also designed what I am temporarily calling the "Rear Hygiene Station" which is a (carbon-likely) fiber piece molded to fit on the back of the locker/closet (exposed when opening rear door hatch). It has a mirror as well as modular fittings that lay flat up against the fiber piece (so the hatch can close), and can be folded down (out-horizontal) when the hatch is opened, exposing a vanity-type area. A fabric sink (with grey water drainage), a closed shelf, and open shelf, cylindrical holders, etc.. The idea is that fresh water will be available at this station as well. Modular so that you can switch out parts to make it work exactly how you need. Pretty damn excited about this part, as all weekender folks will (hopefully) be.

No "pitching" for sales in the forums, if you have something to sell use the classifieds.
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Same as the syncro flares Reply with quote

You will notice no $$ numbers, no production talk or even feelers for interest. This is my own development, not a business venture, and others will be interested in the design if even to flame it (which I will post within the forum). BTW - There is talk all through the forum about knocking off parts (the syncro fender flares for instance, creating new widgets and things to make the vanagon experience better. It would do you well to promote this here at the Samba rather than try to silo the communication into the classifieds area. Developing the hobby, sharing experience, increasing enjoyment, prompting discussion, shaking out requirements and problems, sharing your knowledge and wins and solutions...that is why I am here, and exactly why people use the forum I am guessing.

mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Same as the syncro flares Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
You will notice no $$ numbers, no production talk or even feelers for interest. This is my own development, not a business venture, and others will be interested in the design if even to flame it (which I will post within the forum). BTW - There is talk all through the forum about knocking off parts (the syncro fender flares for instance, creating new widgets and things to make the vanagon experience better. It would do you well to promote this here at the Samba rather than try to silo the communication into the classifieds area. Developing the hobby, sharing experience, increasing enjoyment, prompting discussion, shaking out requirements and problems, sharing your knowledge and wins and solutions...that is why I am here, and exactly why people use the forum I am guessing.

Just letting you know, the vanity thing sure sounded like a sales pitch.
So did pitching ideas to the related threads.
Spam gets removed.
wvukidsdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an '87 ASI poptop "weekender" would be the best desription at a local VW mechanic/yard around here. The owner got it from the original owner who had it converted by ASI he claims. She was driving it up here to AK when her apparently new before the trip engine grenaded after a poor repair was made to some cooling hoses in Juneau without a correct bleeding, she marine highwayed up to Whittier and made it 100 miles to Palmer here and it all went. I know it is an '87 and it appears to be a completely original ASI installed top conversion. It has a regular late 80's non pop top "weekender" interior with the fold down rear and two place fold forward middle seat. I've actually been trying to buy it from the guy for 2 years, as I like the straight up ASI poptop, and wouldn't mind putting it on my beater '87 syncro, and as it is the same color as my syncro that could use a door or two. Actually its body is CA original and exceptional and the trade of my seam rusting syncro bits onto it did strike me. Anyway the mechanic doesn't have a title for it as the owner was supposed to come back (5 years ago) to pay for repairs and reclaim it he doesn't want to sell as parts, and he's too lazy to do the mechanics lien on the storage. He recalls specifically though that she was proud of being the original owner of the van (ex hippie lady in her 60s he says) and that she stated when he wondered at the time, that she had "gone to the factory" and had the roof put on.

This is of course, all questionable, but looks to be true.

John
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: