Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wooden gates.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Wooden gates. Reply with quote

A DOKA in the classifieds has wooden gates, say there OG, has anyone every seen them b4 ? As original equipment?
Cheers
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden gates. Reply with quote

Westfalia widebed singlecabs had wood in their gates.
The truck in the classifieds has some custom owner built gates, not VW factory items.

Westfalia widebed:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=355266
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden gates. Reply with quote

Yes I concur with you, but I thought by chance it Perhaps was one more thing, I didnt know.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wooden gates. Reply with quote

The seller is claiming M-code 710, which he says is for custom gates. I've never seen or heard of this before....but they really look unusually nice and well matched for the bus. It would be cool if it were real but I really have my doubts.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2024896
Norfolk Autowerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wooden gates. Reply with quote

its cool there is a thread about my bus....
The gates have been on there since before it was sold ie: from the dealer, they have a padron number stamped in the wood which matches the original documents which I have, obviously the dealer had them built by a local coachbuilder and fitted to the doka before it was sold. They are very well built and are very unique.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Wooden gates. Reply with quote

cookingphat wrote:
its cool there is a thread about my bus....
The gates have been on there since before it was sold ie: from the dealer, they have a padron number stamped in the wood which matches the original documents which I have, obviously the dealer had them built by a local coachbuilder and fitted to the doka before it was sold. They are very well built and are very unique.

A few questions...
What is a padron number? Is that another term for VIN?
How does this number prove these were on the truck when sold new?
And how does that connect to the M-code 710?
When did you find that definition for M-710?

I could make some wooden gates, and stamp a trucks VIN on them, but that doesn't prove they are original to the truck. Give us a bit more info here.
If a dealer had the gates made, it would not have special gates on the M-code plate.
If they were planning on installing special gates, I'd expect them to order it without gates, Mcode 118.
Maybe a PO just wanted wood gates, or the gates got damaged and someone had these made instead? I've seen a number of custom gates, some very well made. Some were not. Unless you have something showing they were on there when new, that would be the easiest explanation.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden gates. Reply with quote

The inside of the gates appears to be painted to match the exterior and the patina appears to match. I would only question if the interior of the gates was painted why isn't the exterior?

There appears to be a rot hole on the passenger side front/bottom of the gate. That doesn't happen overnight. The gates have been on there for awhile, if not original.

If M 710 is as yet unverified, what documentation does the current owner have that M 710 applies to the gates?

Perhaps padron number is meant to be pattern number ie M code?

The seller states that he has documentation to back up his claim. He should provide it, it would also help with the sale of his truck. Those of us who are interested in VW history and variations, would be grateful for the historical input.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tifawinner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wooden gates. Reply with quote

Hello all, i am the guy who found this Vw after being stored for more than 30 years.

I am a Vw hunter from Uruguay.

Padron number is assigned by the Department of Vehicles to a car when it is first registered. In some cases they used to stamp it on cars when they couldn't find a Vin number (mostly because they didnt know where to look).

All of the double cabs that i have seen with custom gates in Uruguay have m code 710.

This one in particular is the first wooden gates i see and i was impressed when i saw the Padron stamped on it.

There were at least 3 types of custom gates for Single cab and double cab, metal and wooden and they were fitted before they were sold for the following reason.

In Uruguay there used to be a program to encourage Uruguayan economy and labour that would exempt some taxes to cars that were finished to build in Uruguay. This was also made to other cars not just Vw.

Regards

Tifa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wooden gates. Reply with quote

Thanks for the added information Tifa. Why were you impressed by the Padron number?

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse

Last edited by tasb on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Wooden gates. Reply with quote

perhaps for the same reason i would be impressed if i saw my first crewcab with wooden gates on it, and instead of chalking it up to being something homebuilt i find the vin number stamped into it....

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
tifawinner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Wooden gates. Reply with quote

Hello.

It is the first time i see Padron number stamped on the gates. Normally it would be stamped inside the cabin.

Tifa
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wooden gates. Reply with quote

Interesting, so this number is stamped by some official government inspector type in Uruguay?, is the stamp some sort of special font or somehow hard to forge?, or is it something anyone with a stamp kit could add to a part to make it look legit?
Those are definitely not your normal wooden gates, the local completion to dodge taxes story makes sense, but is there any documentation to back it up?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden gates. Reply with quote

tifawinner wrote:
Hello all, i am the guy who found this Vw after being stored for more than 30 years.

I am a Vw hunter from Uruguay.

Padron number is assigned by the Department of Vehicles to a car when it is first registered. In some cases they used to stamp it on cars when they couldn't find a Vin number (mostly because they didnt know where to look).

All of the double cabs that i have seen with custom gates in Uruguay have m code 710.

This one in particular is the first wooden gates i see and i was impressed when i saw the Padron stamped on it.

There were at least 3 types of custom gates for Single cab and double cab, metal and wooden and they were fitted before they were sold for the following reason.

In Uruguay there used to be a program to encourage Uruguayan economy and labour that would exempt some taxes to cars that were finished to build in Uruguay. This was also made to other cars not just Vw.

Regards

Tifa

Interesting! Do you have more pics of custom gates? Do all the Uruguay trucks have custom gates? I had heard of some countries having locally made seats for the same reason. But I had not heard of this. Please share whatever documentation you have.

M710 is listed on the samba here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/mcodest2.php
as Custom bed wall for Double Cab?
also as "Conti"-tires 185R14
I see that Everett just added ' Custom gates for VW Trucks?
(Possibly locally made to support the local economy)'

710 is one of the M-codes that is not listed well in the source documents... such as the front of the Parts List. Some codes had different meanings at different times, which can make it confusing. The unlisted M-codes tend to be in the 700s

It would make sense to me that if the country had a program of locally manufactured gates, wouldn't they just order them w/o gates? It would save 140DM, according to Coachwork Variations.
Did they use the normal VW gate latches?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden gates. Reply with quote

in the 80s people would import Porsche 924 and 944 with the big glass hatch to Finnland, converted to "trucks" by removing the hatch. That way they did not have to pay the "luxury tax" which effectively doubled the price...

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden gates. Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
wouldn't they just order them w/o gates? It would save 140DM, according to Coachwork Variations

I guess if they shipped lots of them to specific countries with a particular feature, it would make sense to have a dedicated code. A bit like the 'for US market' codes for headlights, speedo and glass etc?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden gates. Reply with quote

Perhaps maybe the owner just wanted a woody Laughing
Sorry couldnt resist
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Norfolk Autowerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden gates. Reply with quote

Norfolk Autowerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden gates. Reply with quote

Padron number..
Notice the painted insides same patina as the rest, dove blue detail on the outer in the recess.
Sides are fixed, tailgate drops on 3 big hinges.
Norfolk Autowerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden gates. Reply with quote

tifawinner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Wooden gates. Reply with quote

Hello

Not all but the majority of the pickups had custom gates. I attach pics of different models that i have seen.

This is me pulling the Dove blue doka out of the barn, such an exiting day.

This is some old literature to show cars imported as cabin and chassis to be finished to build by Uruguayan hands. Couldn't find Vw but I will keep on searching.

The padron number was stamped with hand tools by an inspector. Not all of the cars had it stamped but all of the cars had a Padron number on papers. I never heard of someone faking a padron stamp and the one in this truck looks authentic.

Regards

Tifa
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: