Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steel Brake Lines
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Steel Brake Lines Reply with quote

I cannot get the front line off the coupler, as the whole thing has turned into a solid lump of iron oxide. So, since the couplers available are stainless, I am thinking of cutting the coupler off, and flaring the line that is still good. I found a flare tool, but it only has S.A.E. flares. Would it work with the metric line?

Also, anyone know the specifications of the line? They have several metric sizes. Going to pull the old one, but thought it be best to be double sure to have the right parts.

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New steel lines are not that expensive. Do not try and reflare a brake line. just buy new ones.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just replace the whole line. PITA but you'll only do it once.
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will spend more for the flaring tool, than the new steel lines will cost.
And the new lines will last another 30 years. By then you will be almost my age.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
You will spend more for the flaring tool, than the new steel lines will cost.
And the new lines will last another 30 years. By then you will be almost my age.

That's what Bob and I said. Very Happy
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your talking about the regular steal lines
Get them at any FLAPS
they should have various lengths

Just Make Sure Your Getting The Right Thread and Pitch

take one in for reference
They arent very expensive

Me of Course wrote:
Extremity is relative to how far your willing to jump

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help! Very Happy

Thought an update was due. Went to the local Kragen (was in the area), and first of, they were wrong about the lines being stainless, but more important, they did not have the supposed variety of metric. The youngster behind the counter thought British line was metric! Rolling Eyes Luckily I noticed it, then he tried to sell Japanese line. On the way to the machine shop, stopped by Carquest, but they were closed. Plus, machine shop did not have the line. I simi-work at said machine shop, so the owner told me to go to the largest Kragen on Midway, and tell them that I work for them. One of the best parts place and largest parts places I have been to. They were not sure what I wanted, so they let me go behind the counter, and find it. For a full set of lines, it was about $30. I ended up going with getting the front line for about four dollars even though they did not have the 3/16 inch compression fitting. Back to the machine shop, no fitting. Stopped by the local Carquest, and picked up the fitting for about four dollars. I have the line in, and tomorrow I need to hook the lines together, and bleed the rear brakes.

So, thank you Jack for the backing of just replacing the front. Looks like it will work out well.

Oh, and the shop I semi-work at, has the flaring tool, but Greg said it takes skill to do a proper flare, and the compression was the best choice.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

Thought an update was due. Went to the local Kragen (was in the area), and first of, they were wrong about the lines being stainless, but more important, they did not have the supposed variety of metric. The youngster behind the counter thought British line was metric! Rolling Eyes Luckily I noticed it, then he tried to sell Japanese line. On the way to the machine shop, stopped by Carquest, but they were closed. Plus, machine shop did not have the line. I simi-work at said machine shop, so the owner told me to go to the largest Kragen on Midway, and tell them that I work for them. One of the best parts place and largest parts places I have been to. They were not sure what I wanted, so they let me go behind the counter, and find it. For a full set of lines, it was about $30. I ended up going with getting the front line for about four dollars even though they did not have the 3/16 inch compression fitting. Back to the machine shop, no fitting. Stopped by the local Carquest, and picked up the fitting for about four dollars. I have the line in, and tomorrow I need to hook the lines together, and bleed the rear brakes.

So, thank you Jack for the backing of just replacing the front. Looks like it will work out well.

Oh, and the shop I semi-work at, has the flaring tool, but Greg said it takes skill to do a proper flare, and the compression was the best choice.

Adriel
Have I got a deal for you if you want. I have replaced my whole brake system and have some(a few) misc. lines both hard lines and soft lines(new) if you want the are ours if you will consider replacing your lines with out making parts that are readly availiable.
If so pm me your address and I will even cover the cost of the freight.
So what do you say? you just have to do the line bending and install.

Buy my best friends stuff
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=56TIMOTEO

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FASTBACKDON wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Adriel
Have I got a deal for you if you want. I have replaced my whole brake system and have some(a few) misc. lines both hard lines and soft lines(new) if you want the are ours if you will consider replacing your lines with out making parts that are readly availiable.

Confused I am not understanding: I have the hard line in, just need to connect it to the rear part. I will P.M. you.

FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
FASTBACKDON wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Adriel

? I am not understanding: I have the hard line in, just need to connect it to the rear part. I will P.M. you.

What is there not to understand? I am offering you new unused brake lines to help you out just put them on your car make it safe. Remember you are a friend.
Don

Buy my best friends stuff
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=56TIMOTEO

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FASTBACKDON wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
FASTBACKDON wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Adriel

? I am not understanding: I have the hard line in, just need to connect it to the rear part. I will P.M. you.

What is there not to understand? I am offering you new unused brake lines to help you out just put them on your car make it safe. Remember you are a friend.
Don

Ah, got it! d'oh! Well then, I accept Friend Don, thank you so much! Very Happy P.M. has been sent, B.T.W..

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: