Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Africa Zebra Kenya Safari
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpattee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Africa Zebra Kenya Safari Reply with quote

I'm trying to get any information I can on this bus. It's been passed around between several enthusiasts and I'm hoping a few will stop by with information, stories and photos. There's a thread on the KCW site as well as some old photos in the gallery here when it was wearing stripes. Otherwise, there seems to be very little information on it. Anybody care to help document it's history?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Scott McWilliams as he used to own it:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! What happened to it? When Scott had it it was all white and black Zebra-ed. Sheesh.
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Whoa! What happened to it? When Scott had it it was all white and black Zebra-ed. Sheesh.

My words exactly. Bare metal to the elements.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:
BarryL wrote:

My words exactly. Bare metal to the elements.

i remember a thread that said something about a bare metal coating, guess that is what we are looking at.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=234112&start=11220

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thread title stopped me in my tracks, I have been looking for my fathers old zebra striped panel for years. He traveled back and forth between Philadelphia and San Francisco with it many times between 66 and 69. Here it is next to the Rio Grande

His best friend Shawn, who got me in touch with the person who had it after my dad. Apparently it traded hands for some hash and some cash, and the new owner took off to Woodstock.

Parked somewhere in Pennsylvania

I have some google alerts to help me look for it, when this was posted I got an email and thought..
Never hurts to hope right?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

IIRC, the person that bought it sand blasted the entire Bus and left it bare metal for a while, until he sold it too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rpattee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've talked to Scott, Ronnie and Franz, the most recent PO, about the bus. They all have good information but it's all pretty recent. Scott painted the stripes, Ronnie helped remove the interior, Franz hit a deer with it and all I have done is splash some Ospho on it, drive it around and put a new engine in it.

In spite of being bare metal for about 10 years it's in amazing condition. The few deep rust pits are all in front of the large roof opening under an aluminum fairing but the rest of the body is not too bad.

It has not lived an easy life. Very poorly done body work in several places and that will all need to be done again. Not to mention media blasting it and leaving it out in the weather. Very disrespectful. Currently 12 volt with a big nut tranny.

I'm hoping we can find some early information and pictures of this bus somewhere. Does anyone have some or know of some? According to the VIN it's an April 56 bus. It has semaphores, KPH speedometer and lots of other interesting options.

I'm told it was used for photo and filmmaking in Kenya before it was brought to the states. I suspect it was actually built for a cold weather environment.
rpattee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool old pics esde.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw these photos it stopped me dead in my tracks! I camped here with some Bus friends years ago in the exact spot pictured. On the opposite side of the river is a hot spring which my buddy told me about and we drove to in the middle of the night. I was doubtful, but we hiked down and found them. This was on the way back from Buses and Balloons. We took dirt roads back to Colorado for a majority of the trip. Quite a trip to see another split down there!

Also, good to see you still doing the Bus thing, Richard! I sold the 73 I got from you to a friend and it's undergoing a full restoration at the shop.http://www.bulliklinik.com/2015/02/jims-73-riviera-restoration-continued.html. I just finished building a long-block for the 60 Panel I got from you (sold it to the owner of the Vespa shop, next door) and I still have sellers remorse for selling that SC back to you. Hope all is well and that you find the info you need on the camper. I remember seeing photos of that thing from way back in the day. It kinda stood out with the zebra paint job.

Good luck!
Mike K

esde wrote:
The thread title stopped me in my tracks, I have been looking for my fathers old zebra striped panel for years. He traveled back and forth between Philadelphia and San Francisco with it many times between 66 and 69. Here it is next to the Rio Grande

His best friend Shawn, who got me in touch with the person who had it after my dad. Apparently it traded hands for some hash and some cash, and the new owner took off to Woodstock.

Parked somewhere in Pennsylvania

I have some google alerts to help me look for it, when this was posted I got an email and thought..
Never hurts to hope right?

Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rpattee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing the "bus thing" Mike. I see you're hard at it too. Can't believe that camper is going through a full restoration. Very nice.

Ordered the birth certificate yesterday. They claim it can take up to eight months now. Don't delay if any of you are considering getting one for your bus. I'll post it up once it arrives.
Rando
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Africa Zebra Kenya Safari Reply with quote

Familienfest 2000

SingleWheel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved that bus when Scott had it. Climbed around in it checking it out several times at old Familienfests and Scott's house. The inside had all kinds of cool/odd features to the interior. Too bad the strips are gone. Very fitting on that bus.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1999 Classic

pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
1999 Classic

Kool pix! Razz
mg6770
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Gene L owned that 1-2 owners ago. He gave me some back round on it and he seem to know the history pretty well. Not sure of his screen name here but hopefully he'll chime in.
Phil 4:13
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.
rpattee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked so much better with paint. Even with the stripes. Is there a story behind the ones on the trailer?

The snap on fabric cover looks a lot more practical than the steel lid on it now. That lid is heavy and awkward to handle. No place to store it.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking the trailer photos might be when John Howard bought it from Scott? I think I might have been at that FamilienFest.
ScottMcW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My poor poor poor beloved Zebra bus. I've owned it twice, and if Gene let me know he was selling, I might have owned it three times. It's probably for the best that didn't happen.

Comments on the photos above, the one on the trailer in 2000 is when John Howard bought it from me. It was headed out to Havasu. He tried to bargain with me after he had it loaded up which I always thought was funny. Especially since I didn't really want to sell it anyway!

And yes, the earlier ones are when I had it at an old VW Classic. I think 99 was the year I won a Special Interest trophy with it.

I promise I'll write more later and give you the full history that I know from the owners before me up until I sold it back to Gene the last time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: