Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mexican fuel injection
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
parris001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Mexican fuel injection Reply with quote

I thought I had heard that the Mexican Beetles used a fuel injection that was never offered on US models.

I like different kind of stuff, and would like to try the Mexican fuel injection on a carb engine.

Ever been done before? Too stupid of an idea to try? Did the Mexican Beetle have a better electronic ignition than the crappy points that we use? (Don't try to swap me over to the Pertronix. I had that system and threw it in the trash)
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=519841
74soupsoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beleive 75 and later had it stock in the states and it is pretty reliable.
There is also a pretty good aftermarket for parts,also hot vws has a project milage feature going about an F.I. type 1
go for it.
parris001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:
Maybe this:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=519841

Oh yes! That's it! Anyone ever install and use one on these? Port fuel injection would be a lot of fun to play with!
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican fuel injection Reply with quote

parris001 wrote:
Did the Mexican Beetle have a better electronic ignition than the crappy points that we use?

The Mex Beetles use a MAP controlled distributor without obsolete points. I can't remember if it uses an optical pickup or a magnetic. I'll have to look.

The Mex FI (as installed by VW in a Mex Beetle) is everything you can imagine. Driveability is like any modern FI car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Electronic distributor assembly with Hall sensor made by Bosh on the mexican VW Sedan.
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts

Last edited by Antonio Trejo on Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

74soupsoup wrote:
I beleive 75 and later had it stock in the states and it is pretty reliable.
There is also a pretty good aftermarket for parts,also hot vws has a project milage feature going about an F.I. type 1
go for it.

The Mexican Beetle Digifant injection is not the same as the US Beetle L-Jet fuel injection setup... and parts for the original US L-Jet injection are getting harder to come by and are not cheap. The Mex system was a definite improvement over the earlier VW L-Jet system that the US cars had - many folks are using the Mexican components in conjunction with the Megasquirt ECM -

bnc
danielsan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever installed a Mexibeetle EFI in a 70s bug? I'd like to get the 28 - 36 mpg that Mexibeetle owners report.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielsan wrote:
28 - 36 mpg that Mexibeetle owners report.

36 is a fantasy.
MinamiKotaro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
danielsan wrote:

36 is a fantasy.

I got 36 on the Interstate out of a 180+ whp 1915 turbo. Smile I think a DD, NA engine could see that kind of economy.
Check out my ongoing story.
muirfollower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antonio,

Do you sell the wiring harness with connecctors for the MX MAP distributor, and sensors on the throttle body?

Thks
Andrew
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew,
The sensors (TPS and Air intake temp sensor) are included on the used throttle body from my basic EFI kit. I have for sale the genuine and new engine bay area wirinng harness, to conecct distributor Hall sensor, TPS, , injectors, engine temp sensor, ralenty valve...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MinamiKotaro wrote:
Bruce wrote:
danielsan wrote:

36 is a fantasy.

I got 36 on the Interstate out of a 180+ whp 1915 turbo.

Your engine isn't the same as in a Mexican Beetle.

The big problem is that a Mexican Beetle is geared all wrong for mileage.
Shadd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand. I've driven a Mexican beetle. It didn't seem to have much more power or speed than my 61 beetle with a 1600DP in it. My car got an average of 33 mpg on my trip from Arizona to Ohio. Why would a Mexican beetle with electronic everything get worse mileage than my 61 because of gearing?? Crying or Very sad
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed 49.9MPG (UK) on my Mexican 1200 bug (supplied to Europe by VW until 1985). Same trans as current models, well gearing anyway. 4.37 R&P needs dropping to a 4.12, and 4th to a .89 to make full use of the FI motor. I will be doing this to my '98 when I get it back together.

The Digifant system on the Mexican bug is pretty much the same as in a current Golf etc. Together with hydraulic lifters it is a huge step forward.

Al
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alikatcraig wrote:
I managed 49.9MPG (UK) ...

= 41.5 miles per US gallon.
The mileage of a 1200 cc equipped car is irrelevant to the mileage of a 1600cc car.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadd wrote:
Why would a Mexican beetle with electronic everything get worse mileage than my 61 because of gearing??

Trans ratios aren't the only thing that goes into the gearing calculation.
Your 61 most likely had 165 rear tires. A late Mexican Beetle has 155s. These are about 1½" shorter. Mileage suffers badly when you run a Mexican Beetle at US freeway speeds.
linearone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a beautiful 71 bug with a 34 pict 3 that runs well I am super happy.

I would LOVE to buy a spanking new ( or close to it) used Fi mexi beetle.

I have seen a couple on ebay and its been tempting BUT.

As far as I can tell from phone calls and visits to the VW dealers in NY state NO ONE (dealerships) SUPPORTS THEM OR HAS ANY CLUE HOW TO BEGIN TO SUPPORT ONE IN THIS COUNTRY. I explained what I wanted to do to the service manager and he thought I meant a water cooled bug. when I explained it was a mexi beetle etc etc air cooled he stared at me blankly and had no idea what to say. The guy in Poughkeepsie told me that VW does not offer universal service info to all its techs, they wouldnt have the tools or know where to begin. They went to far as to explain they couldnt even offer me parts if I had the numbers.

This is the reason the Mexi's scare me, If anyone has any input as to wether or not VW stealerships in this country can or will service one let me know.
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air-cooled “Sedan” model produced by Volkswagen Mexico in the 1993-2003 years used the classic 1600 engine with some updated components. It is known as the “ACD” code engine. Differences from the engines in older models include:
1. Hydraulic valve lifters similar to the type 4 and waterboxer lifters are used, so valves stay in adjustment and should not be adjusted between rebuilds.
2. Revised cylinder heads that take a ¾” reach sparkplug.
3. A full-flow filter pump is used with larger (30mm) gears for higher oil flow. This provides better filtering to avoid fouling the hydraulic lifters. Because of the higher oil flow, pressure is better maintained in hot climates. Factory spec oil is 15w40 for the Mexican climate range; but in a wider temperature climate a 5w40 or 0w40 synthetic is more appropriate. The 70s dual relief oil pressure control is used. The spin-on filter is the same as used by most water-cooled VW 4-cyl engines, and the anti-drain back of the Vanagon waterboxer filter is helpful.
4. An electronic ignition distributor is used with no advance mechanism. Ignition advance is controlled by the electronic Engine Control Unit.
5. A combined ignition coil/spark control unit is used.
6. No thermostat or air shutters are used in the cooling system, as the ECU controls mixture during warmup to prevent fuel washing the cylinder walls. However, the fan shroud design has not changed, and the shutters and thermostat can be fitted (by drilling and tapping the case for the thermostat mounting stud) to provide better airflow for cold defrost of the windshield.
7. Fuel and ignition are controlled by a Digifant 1.82 ECU system. This system is unique to the air-cooled engine, although similar in concept and procedures to many VW cars. The control unit includes non-volatile memory for storing adaptation values matching the ECU to the car sensors, and for storing fault codes for diagnostics. The Digifant ECU communicates for adjustments and diagnostics. It is intended to use the VAG1552 or VAS5052 diagnostics tool used by VWoA dealerships. However, it does not use the now-standard 16 pin DLC connector as do US models, so it requires an adapter cable.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antonio Trejo wrote:
The air-cooled “Sedan” model produced by Volkswagen Mexico in the 1993-2003 years used the classic 1600 engine with some updated components. It is known as the “ACD” code engine. Differences from the engines in older models include:
1. Hydraulic valve lifters similar to the type 4 and waterboxer lifters are used, so valves stay in adjustment and should not be adjusted between rebuilds.
2. Revised cylinder heads that take a ¾” reach sparkplug.
3. A full-flow filter pump is used with larger (30mm) gears for higher oil flow. This provides better filtering to avoid fouling the hydraulic lifters. Because of the higher oil flow, pressure is better maintained in hot climates. Factory spec oil is 15w40 for the Mexican climate range; but in a wider temperature climate a 5w40 or 0w40 synthetic is more appropriate. The 70s dual relief oil pressure control is used. The spin-on filter is the same as used by most water-cooled VW 4-cyl engines, and the anti-drain back of the Vanagon waterboxer filter is helpful.
4. An electronic ignition distributor is used with no advance mechanism. Ignition advance is controlled by the electronic Engine Control Unit.
5. A combined ignition coil/spark control unit is used.
6. No thermostat or air shutters are used in the cooling system, as the ECU controls mixture during warmup to prevent fuel washing the cylinder walls. However, the fan shroud design has not changed, and the shutters and thermostat can be fitted (by drilling and tapping the case for the thermostat mounting stud) to provide better airflow for cold defrost of the windshield.
7. Fuel and ignition are controlled by a Digifant 1.82 ECU system. This system is unique to the air-cooled engine, although similar in concept and procedures to many VW cars. The control unit includes non-volatile memory for storing adaptation values matching the ECU to the car sensors, and for storing fault codes for diagnostics. The Digifant ECU communicates for adjustments and diagnostics. It is intended to use the VAG1552 or VAS5052 diagnostics tool used by VWoA dealerships. However, it does not use the now-standard 16 pin DLC connector as do US models, so it requires an adapter cable.

Awesome read, Antonio. Did you ever sell a turn key FI Mexican Engine to a US customer?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: