Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How would I go about finding a certain yard?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: How would I go about finding a certain yard? Reply with quote

A local vw guy told me about a old guy that has a fiel full of old vw's that is about 10 miles from where I live. He said that every car was full of parts and lots of the have parts in the original vw boxes still. So this guy must have bought out a dealer or something. He said mostly beetles a ghia or two and a couple buses. He said he was going to go back out there soon and buy what he wanted and let me know where it is. I guess a year or two ago the crusher was coming around and the old guy wa ready to sell them for scrap, then the guy I know came and told him he could get more if he sold them. He said he bought a bunch of ghia stuff and some of the new in box parts and gave him a $100 bill and the guy seemed happy to get that. So i'm guessing he will sell cheap. I know the town he said they were by but how do I go about finding exactly where this yard is? I tryed google maps of the area but it's too much to cover especially when I don't know how far from the town it could be. Any ideas?
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

IDA's...well... they talk dirty -MURZI
Plantman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Google Earth.
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything different about that from google maps? The town it's supposedly by is St.clair
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reason you don't call the guy who told you about the place and say, "Where is that junkyard you were telling me about?"

Just wondering . . .

Last edited by coad on Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only place I found so far that looks like it has a bunch of junk sitting around is at twp hwy 724 But it doesn't really look like its cars though.

And I could call him but I don't want to bug him about it so soon after him telling me about it. When I asked where it was he said he wasn't sure if he still knew how to get there but later on said he could probably find it but didn't really tell me any more other than the town it was by.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has a bit of a fish story to me. Pictures or it don't exist Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
russvwdotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a fairy tale to me, either that or he regrets telling you lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Low67vdubinnocal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried looking for the one up in yreka right off the 5 and cant get that much detail to see the yard. It might be there and you just cant see it. Maybe just take a sunday drive out where you think it might be and look around no telling what you might find. Or is it possable that its located in Lake Wobegone MN. behind Ralphs pretty good grocery and your just looking in the wrong place ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low67vdubinnocal wrote:
I tried looking for the one up in yreka right off the 5 and cant get that much detail to see the yard. It might be there and you just cant see it. Maybe just take a sunday drive out where you think it might be and look around no telling what you might find. Or is it possable that its located in Lake Wobegone MN. behind Ralphs pretty good grocery and your just looking in the wrong place ?

The one in Yreka is Exit 776,east side of I-5 on the businees route....you can see it from I-5...
Low67vdubinnocal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to see if you could see it from google maps but it wont get to that much detail in a rural area. I can see some kind of cars but not enough detail to tell what kind of car it is. I stopped in there one year and went through the whole yard. Guy was nice enough said look all ya want didnt need anything just wanted to see what was there...
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an idea:
Go into St. Clair, Minniesoda and stop in at the Casey's General Store (most small towns in this part of the world have one.)
Ask the clerk if she knows an old guy that has a bunch of Volkswagens.
Do this when there are other customers in the store buying gas, some beef jerky and Powerball tickets. They will fall all over themselves giving you directions to his "place".
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a game where you tie a string to a hot dog and dangle it in front of a real dog. The dog will swallow the hot dog, and you then pull the string and out pops the same hot dog. The real dog then sees another dog on a string. The whole process repeats itself. Close your eyes and picture yourself as a dog. Wink This story has many mutations and covers all brands of cars. The corvette fastback stored in a garage with 2 miles on it just in the next town will end up being a rusted out Opal with a tree growing out of the rear window behind some shed. There have been just too many VW people up in the Mankato area to have overlooked an entire yard full of great stuff.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iowa Mark wrote:
There is a game where you tie a string to a hot dog and dangle it in front of a real dog. The dog will swallow the hot dog, and you then pull the string and out pops the same hot dog. The real dog then sees another dog on a string. The whole process repeats itself. Close your eyes and picture yourself as a dog. Wink This story has many mutations and covers all brands of cars. The corvette fastback stored in a garage with 2 miles on it just in the next town will end up being a rusted out Opal with a tree growing out of the rear window behind some shed. There have been just too many VW people up in the Mankato area to have overlooked an entire yard full of great stuff.

Clearly this guy never read "The Cobra in a barn".
http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Barn-Stories-Automotiv...amp;sr=8-1
Car hunting can be a great Saturday game to play if you have time.
I enjoyed many days driving in the country walking through fields to get
to grave yards of cars or tractors.
The Midwest where I grew up vegetation would not completely cover the cars
So you could see them from a distance.
My high school shop teacher was an expert at finding these spots,
And a gift of gab that kept us from getting shot.
I know in some areas of the country I would be afraid of what I might be walking into,
But as a teen in Illinois we had a lot of fun looking for stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
Iowa Mark wrote:

Clearly this guy never read "The Cobra in a barn".
http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Barn-Stories-Automotiv...amp;sr=8-1
Car hunting can be a great Saturday game to play if you have time.
I enjoyed many days driving in the country walking through fields to get
to grave yards of cars or tractors.
The Midwest where I grew up vegetation would not completely cover the cars
So you could see them from a distance.
My high school shop teacher was an expert at finding these spots,
And a gift of gab that kept us from getting shot.
I know in some areas of the country I would be afraid of what I might be walking into,
But as a teen in Illinois we had a lot of fun looking for stuff.

i bought that book for a plane ride a few years back. good reading if you are into the thrill of finding them!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmsmilin
Samba's Most Posted

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch out for old wells and big holes when you are out searching for them in the woods, cell phones dont get reception down at the bottom

(o\ ! /o) | o \/ o | (o)=|=(o) [o\|_|_|/o] \m/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rent a Helicopter for the day, do a grid search, get on it or pass on the info....... Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: