Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Have you built your own Uni Vents, fresh air vents
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Have you built your own Uni Vents, fresh air vents Reply with quote

Any one ever built there own set of Uni Vents, or fresh air vents from the horn grilles to the inner front quarter panels. I may try this on my next project, using PVC. I just need to come up with a set of vent grilles with a closeable door. Any ideas are welcome.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
83_WabbitGTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this idea on my Baja... Since the PO cut the inner fenders to fit the shock towers (and left them open) I'm going to box them in and weld in a 3" opening to attach tubes. (Like the rear fan shroud tubes)

I plan on running the air through an intercooler for the summer, should cool the air at least 10deg or more, and in the winter make some sort of heater for it.

I'll run the tubes to holes under the dash and add directional vents. (Can you say crotch cooler??) Wink

I was thinking of a simple butterfly valve similar to the heater boxes... Maybe hacking up an old set. That would take car of opening and closing.

Those holes in there right now really put the wind through the car. So I know the vent idea would work great.

"No matter how a VW breaks down.... You can always make it home on Zipties, Ducktape, and JB Weld...."
-Doug Christen, VW Owner

83 Rabbit GTI - 83 Rabbit LS Custom - 63 Westy - 65 Bug - 64 Baja (Herbie's Studly Cousin) - 91 Audi 90 Quattro 20v - 85 Vw Cabby - 84 VW Scirocco - 69 Beetle (Phantasm Bug) - 78 Cabriolet

Need a VW website built? PM me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it can be done, but finding a round closeable interior vent may slow me down. Maybe something I can use off of a newer Pontiac or a RV.
I have never seen a pair of Univents in person, just pictures. It looks like from the original pieces that the air bypasses the interior vents when not in use and is blown into the fender wells. Is this true? Also is there any issue with water mist or drops entering the car through the vents at high speed when its raining when they are open?
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:33 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a great Idea...I had them in a Ghia and it does make a big difference. Keep us posted

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
metalchomper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
I'm sure it can be done, but finding a round closeable interior vent may slow me down. Maybe something I can use off of a newer Pontiac or a RV.
I have never seen a pair of Univents in person, just pictures. It looks like from the original pieces that the air bypasses the interior vents when not in use and is blown into the fender wells. Is this true? Also is there any issue with water mist or drops entering the car through the vents at high speed when its raining when they are open?

Here you go

http://www.vintageair.com/08/catalog08/08%20VA%20cat%20pg%2029%20f.pdf

Devil Dog Dubs

I live vicariously through me

'62 Beetle, "Zombie Mojo"
'68 Manx II "Conundrum"
'72 SB "Luftwaffle", 2270 T4
'75 SB Wizard Rodster "Olympias" (Mrs. Metalchomper's car)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME. Thats exactly what I was searching for. Thanks I guess I'll start the plumbing this winter when the body is off the chassis.

Maybe I can come up with a kit at the end.

Thanks.
Usually and often edited
iVolkswagen
The Modern-Day Hippie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have PVC resh air vents on my car.
They worked great, you just need to put a filter-like thing between the horn grille and the PVC to prevent stray wasps from flying into the cat at 60mph Shocked
Mine didn't leak at all in the rain.

I had to take them off when I lowered my car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pics. I will be lowering my project also. I may have to do a little creative plumbing for clearance of the tires, but I think it will be worth it.
Usually and often edited
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you looking to exit air into the car ??
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my car is missing the cover plate at the front of the panhead. also missing the ebrake boot. lots of air blows up between the seats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
83_WabbitGTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be building mine here next week. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures of the process.

For the interior vents, I'll be using some from an 83 rabbit. They have close levers and directional fins. The inlet is even the exact size I need.

There maybe an issue with moisture getting in though. I need to think of how I can get rid of it. Maybe where the shock towers covered, make a baffle system before the outlet. Then make a drain hole. I know I'll be running it through a filter of some sort because dust is an issue in the wheel well.

Volkswagnut, post up lots of pictures for reference!

"No matter how a VW breaks down.... You can always make it home on Zipties, Ducktape, and JB Weld...."
-Doug Christen, VW Owner

83 Rabbit GTI - 83 Rabbit LS Custom - 63 Westy - 65 Bug - 64 Baja (Herbie's Studly Cousin) - 91 Audi 90 Quattro 20v - 85 Vw Cabby - 84 VW Scirocco - 69 Beetle (Phantasm Bug) - 78 Cabriolet

Need a VW website built? PM me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B Ramsey wrote:
my car is missing the cover plate at the front of the panhead. also missing the ebrake boot. lots of air blows up between the seats.

And lots of water and dirt gets into the tunnel!

You really need to close that off ASAP. When dirt gets in the tunnel, it collects moisture and that moisture will rot the tunnel out from the inside as well as damage all the conduits for the clutch, parking brake, heater and throttle cables.

Water gets in a lot easier and faster then it can dry out.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:

My plan was to exit in the lower quarter panels under the front fenders, like Univents are, but I may try to plumb it toward the front wall instead, not sure yet. I would like to have something accessable to turn off and on when needed. I have options.
Usually and often edited
Goshen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Helfen wrote:

My plan was to exit in the lower quarter panels under the front fenders, like Univents are, but I may try to plumb it toward the front wall instead, not sure yet. I would like to have something accessable to turn off and on when needed. I have options.

Wouldn't it better to run the tubing through the trunk instead of in the wheelwell ?

I believe there is room for improvement..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan changed a little. The car I had slated to receive the vents, went from full body to Volksrod. Ventilation is not a concern anymore. Too much ventilation is now my problem.... Twisted Evil

In the meantime, I did purchase a used set of original UNIVENTS, so I could look at maybe producing and updating to a more modern kit.
Yes I would think having it route through the trunk would be better, but you would have to cut 4 holes instead of just 2. The problem with that is....it seems most VW owners these days have trouble even drilling a pencil size hole let alone a 2 inch hole.
I also have looked at routing under that tank scooping air from near the beam. Lots of plumbing options, but all require holes to be drilled, big holes, and tubes to be routed.
I have actually developed a few different routing options, and have my personal favorite, but I doubt the typical VW owner would approve of it Wink .
Usually and often edited
TTM VW WERKS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
My plan changed a little. The car I had slated to receive the vents, went from full body to Volksrod. Ventilation is not a concern anymore. Too much ventilation is now my problem.... Twisted Evil

In the meantime, I did purchase a used set of original UNIVENTS, so I could look at maybe producing and updating to a more modern kit.
Yes I would think having it route through the trunk would be better, but you would have to cut 4 holes instead of just 2. The problem with that is....it seems most VW owners these days have trouble even drilling a pencil size hole let alone a 2 inch hole.
I also have looked at routing under that tank scooping air from near the beam. Lots of plumbing options, but all require holes to be drilled, big holes, and tubes to be routed.
I have actually developed a few different routing options, and have my personal favorite, but I doubt the typical VW owner would approve of it Wink .

Call me at 786-314-2571 and we can work on some projects together...
I have some ideas
vwluvrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More louver ideas here...
http://www.maradynemarine.com/2inLouvers.html
>Click< to see my stuff for sale
squareweave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an NOS set if anybody is interested. PM me
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: