Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horn not working
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Horn not working Reply with quote

On my brand new '88 Westy, the horn is not working. I took off the front padded plate on the steering wheel and found that someone had the foresight to snip both wires to aid in the removal of said object. Wires have been soldered and insulated, yet it still doesn't work. The wire on the right is connected to ground, though I get nothing from the left wire. Is it supposed to be +12v? Also, when I connect the two wires, I get no horn. I am assuming that I'm supposed to...

Bentley hasn't yet given up the secret of where I might find this arcane bit of documentation. I'm trying to think of the next area to dismantle in my search. I took off the steering wheel plastic cover but couldn't track down which wire coming down the trunk is actually the horn. They all seemed like turn signal or ignition type wires. Do I need to remove the steering wheel? The nut is a few sizes larger than my largest socket. 21mm or so. Any tricks I need to know if I go this route?

TIA,

Stephen

hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connecting the two wires under the horn pad should give you a nice beep. Check fuses, connections at horn, etc. If all that is up to snuff, then, yes, pulling the steering wheel is easy. I think it's a 24mm deep socket that I've used to do this. Once pulled you should see a nice brass contact ring on the back of the steering wheel, which is now in your hands, and you should see a little brass tab on the steering column that matches up to the ring. One of these two could be worn away or missing.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: