Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Power windows unswitched
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Power windows unswitched Reply with quote

In my brand new '88 Westy, the most frustrating thing about the power windows is that I always forget to roll them up before turning off the engine. This implies that they are switched (connected to the ignition), and I'd like them to be unswitched (connected straight to the battery, not dependant upon the ignition being on).

Firstly, is there a problem with doing this? Like does it present a slow drain on the battery to hook them up this way? I know some newer cars give you about 60 seconds to roll up your windows after turning off the ignition, but then they cannot be rolled up or down after that.

Secondly, how do I find an unswitched fuse that I can tap into safely?

And thirdly, is it a good idea to get a one minute timer thingy instead of just leaving them unswitched?

Fourthly, this list rocks...

Stephen

spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same thoughts! Have had since it started raining one night while camping in a hot location with the windows down, the keys in my pocket somewhere under the bed, and me sleeping in, well, very little Laughing

I just haven't gotten around to it. I had it done to my 1995 Subaru with no problems. It did not have a timer. One of the arguments put to me against this was security. It was said that the windows could be opened with a piece of wire slid down inside the glass. On a Subaru, that may have been possible, due to no window frame plus, liftup/push down type switches.

Look into the Bently manual for the HOT connectors on the back side of the fuse panel.

I'm thinking of running one of those HOT wires to a two way (SPDT)switch located somewhere within reach - say central lower dash. That way I could leave it in NORMAL when leaving the vehicle, but put it into HOT mode when stopped camping.

VW doesn't have the security concern Subaru had - steel window frames, plus the very akward location of the switches. PLUS PLUS, who will know if they are wired always HOT anyway?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OilNBolts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=319668&highlight=load+reduction
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vanagon has a 5 pin power window switch, the Jetta a 6 pin switch. The difference is that on a Vanagon, when the ignition is on the little indicator light in the switch is also on. If you hot wired your power window switch to be always on, there would be a current drain from the little light in the switch.

There are 2 solutions.

One is to use a Jetta switch that has a separate additional spade for switched power to the light. This can be done using the original wire and add a second hot wire to the 30 position spade.

Second option is described in the aforementioned thread, and that is to use the door open circuit as an additional power source so that the window will work with the door open. This would not allow you to put up the window while camping though if the door is closed.

Interestingly, the European spec Vanagons have a hot wired window switch. That is one of the things that has to be changed when the van is federalized to meet US DOT specification.

Just a regular guy
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:

Interestingly, the European spec Vanagons have a hot wired window switch. That is one of the things that has to be changed when the van is federalized to meet US DOT specification.

I think this is so that your kids cannot run the windows up on another kid's neck when you are not around. At least they need to borrow you keys to do so.
KIDS DO GET INTO MISCHIEF WHEN IN UNATTENDED CARS, THOUGH.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home

Last edited by Alan Brase on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="69doublecab"]
otiswesty wrote:
KIDS DO GET INTO MISCHIEF WHEN IN UNATTENDED CARS, THOUGH.

"I wanna go fast"

Ricky Bobby, age 7

Just a regular guy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: