Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bought my first Vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
piruvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Bought my first Vanagon Reply with quote

1989 GL Wolfsburg w/ 175K mi. Southern Cali van. Good shape for its age. Runs well. PO dumped over $4000 into mechanical last year alone (I bought for $4500) I have lots of questions. The bus has lots of little (maybe not little) issues. Too many to ask about all at once. But I'll list some of the big ones now.

-PO put Kumho 857 tires on it. Isn't that a trailer tire? Are they safe to drive with?

-PO put new rack and pinion on last year. Front tires are bald on inside, thick
tread on outside. Ball joints/bushings look good. steers straight, no noises. Just an alignment needed?

-that typical oil pressure light buzzer problem. Only after approx 30min driving in hot weather. Cool weather = no buzzer. Current oil filter is a Valuecraft (quickie lube brand?) and records show last oil weight 20W50.
..so I'll see if an oil change w/ correct VW approved filter will fix this before assuming other causes.

...and there's so much more little, picky stuff...too much for this first post.
I just want to make sure A: it's safe to put my wife and four year old son in.
B: I'm not going to drive 50mi and trash a motor that seems to run great.

...until I know, it sits parked in my driveway. I either just bought a money-pit or I'm in for some fun trips in the future.

...all advice greatly appreciated!
Confused

Last edited by piruvan on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the van! Now the fun begins!

---don't know about the Kumho tires but if they are as bald as you say, I would definitely be looking for some C rated tires. Lots of recommendations here on the Samba.

---an alignment and new tires are in order. I would consider moving up to 15" wheels if you don't have them already. More tire choices and also some nice alloy wheel choices in 15". It will also allow you to move up to a big brake kit down the road.

---change the oil and use a Mann filter. You can get them from VanCafe or BusDepot if you can't find one locally. DO NOT fill your oil up to the top mark on the dipstick. In between the two marks is good and will often eliminate the oil buzzer issue.

Did you do a compression check or leak down test on the van before you bought it? Does the PO repair history show if the heads were ever replaced or the water jacket seal issue ever dealt with? Those are a couple of biggies...

cheers,
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill be the first...

REPLACE YOUR FUEL LINES!!!

Welcome to the samba

Yes vanagons are a money pit but very worth it Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Bercilak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piruvan,

Whereat in SoCal (I'm in south OC)?

Those tires are indeed "Trailer Only" though I don't know why that would be the case. The load rating looks OK, but I'm not clear on the sidewall rating. The original spec for the vanagon tire called for what is now a "C" rating on the sidewall. These are usually available in a light-truck tire.

You will get no end of discussion about whether your tires are "safe" or not ~ do a quick search and you'll see some serious battles.

My answer is that they do not meet the specs set out for your vehicle, and are therefore potentially suspect. They may not every cause a problem, but they're not correctly rated (probably). The user manual has the tire specs, and there should also be some information on the pillar of the driver's door. Check, and get appropriate tires.

Many people go with Hankook ~ I have a tire that is D-rated, but apparently no longer available, so I got a Hankook when I needed a spare. Some searching here will give you some other tire options.

There are a number of good VW shops around, if you want to go that route. I have an air-cooled so I order parts from Bus Depot (plan ahead) but you can probably get what you need from Van-Cafe just up the coast. They will likely include cookies with your order.

I suspect the oil filter is one part of the OP problem, but may not be the only one. I've read that you can use the NAPA top o' the line filter, or a Wix.

Replace filter and oil, then check. make sure connections are clean. If the problem continues, get an OP gauge you can use to check the OP at idle and under pressure. Real information instead of guess will get you down the road farther.

Oil is 20W50 for air-cooleds (my brand) but check for the water cooled specs. People here will know/advise.
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blakeck2 wrote:
Ill be the first...

REPLACE YOUR FUEL LINES!!!

damn, you beat me to it

(wonder if forum could get an automated script to run the first time it sees anything like "I just bought a Vanagon" to save us all from tripping all over each other saying... "REPLACE YOUR .... (well,you know)"?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if that were the case I may never get the chance to say....you know what!

You only go through once...have fun spending the money!

Brian.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh s+++, not another victim. Does this one have any extra money???? Don't tell anybody,go buy some goood pills,3 cases of beer and sleep well tonight cause you 'NEVER gonna be the same"!! Yeah and by the way welcome to the looney club.
piruvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are scaring me with the Vanagon = $$$ and "you've crossed over the crazy threshold"

Now, re: fuel lines...PO happened to live in San Luis Obispo, CA -a short drive from Go Westy...which happened to do much of the recent repair work on this '89 (partly influenced my decision to buy it) This is from a repair invoice:
3/10/2008 168,785 (current is 175,375)
INSTALL FUEL TANK RE-SEAL KIT W/FILLER NECK (and among other tank releated parts, including a new fuel sender) TWO METERS OF GERMAN BRAIDED FUEL LINE.

...thanks PO!

...am I good with the fuel lines?
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, don't take us seriously here,it's all in fun for the nubies,and we have papers to prove we are sane(is that the correct word). U won't find more helpful or anyone that is as familiatr with these vans and the fixes,just ask and someone will have seen it.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Of course we're... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAH! Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey, don't take us seriously here,it's all in fun for the nubies,and we have papers to prove we are sane

Sane? Sane? OF COURSE WE'RE SANE! THE WORLD IS CRAZY AND ONLY WE ARE SANE!

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH!

Shocked

Okay, let's get down to the brass tacks. Or the chassis grounds, burnish all those down to bare metal, clean all connections, and cover 'em with grease.

Yes, it's an old vehicle and you'll be fixing it more than the new ones. You'll also be having more fun. Face it--you sensed that we were on to something good in this Forum, and you wanted in.

You're in!

Learn to use the search, learn the ways to destroy your van and don't do those, and get ready for a very fun, if very slow ride

Twisted Evil ON THE HIGHWAY TO HELL! Twisted Evil

Hahahahahahahahah!

Shocked

Best!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piruvan wrote:
You guys are scaring me with the Vanagon = $$$ and "you've crossed over the crazy threshold"

Now, re: fuel lines...PO happened to live in San Luis Obispo, CA -a short drive from Go Westy...which happened to do much of the recent repair work on this '89 (partly influenced my decision to buy it) This is from a repair invoice:
3/10/2008 168,785 (current is 175,375)
INSTALL FUEL TANK RE-SEAL KIT W/FILLER NECK (and among other tank releated parts, including a new fuel sender) TWO METERS OF GERMAN BRAIDED FUEL LINE.

...thanks PO!

...am I good with the fuel lines?

Hard to say absolutely for sure via the 'net, but seems to me that only the fuel tank lines were done. The real concern is fuel hose inside, and to/from, engine bay. (I assume GW replaced shorter hose from tank to pump) The good news is that GW took care of a job none of us ever looks forward to. Gas tank resealing.

Nothing to be scared of here. In spite of msinabottle's big red letters Wink

This list has been super helpful for me and many others.

The Vanagon = $$$ part? In terms of getting it "up to snuff" and keeping it maintained, really depends on how much work you can do yourself and how well it was maintained by PO. And, what work was actually performed by PO. i.e. did he do any custom wiring? (likely not as it's not a Westy right?) All good intentions if he did, but sometimes one can create more work that way. If all the work was done by GW or other Vanagon knowledgable mechanic, then that's a big help. $$$ can also mean upgrades. Tire/wheels being one obvious one.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
newt909
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the little stubs of FI hose that connect directly to the injectors. I have a engine that was said to of come directly from gowesty and while the majority of hose was fresh (not original) and rather good, the little stubs only need a strong wiggle to rupture. You could even hear them crackle with the initial wiggle.
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the $$$ that will go into your vanagon is from stuff you want to buy for it not have to Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: