Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me 57 With transaxle stuck in gear.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stksuks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: New to me 57 With transaxle stuck in gear. Reply with quote

I just purchased a 57 that I believe to be all original. Bought from one owner family. Car was parked 12 yrs ago because of it being stuck in gear. The shifter is really stiff almost no movement.. Can anyone help with this?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 57 With transaxle stuck in gear. Reply with quote

Here is my thought. It's probably a total so you should just let me come and take that problem child off your hands..... That car is beautiful. Take the inspection cover off at the coupler and see if it's ok. Also if the clutch works maybe get it started and see if it's in gear.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 57 With transaxle stuck in gear. Reply with quote

Nice car

I don't know if you can pop it out with a split-case but check out these threads I found in a search:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=587802
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=464805
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70825
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stksuks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 57 With transaxle stuck in gear. Reply with quote

Thanks I'll try playing with it a little. Pretty clean car and I really was not expecting what I found when I got to the ladies house to look at it.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 57 With transaxle stuck in gear. Reply with quote

not a very clean car.... lot of dust on it Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 57 With transaxle stuck in gear. Reply with quote

Id take the coupler off and see if the shifter moves around without it being connected. If not replace the hanger. They have no bushing so maybe its binding, steel on steel. If it does, trans probably needs to come out. Check if it has fluid.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 57 With transaxle stuck in gear. Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Id take the coupler off and see if the shifter moves around without it being connected. If not replace the hanger. They have no bushing so maybe its binding, steel on steel.

Respectfully, I beg to differ on this bushing concept. The early shift rod support bracket does indeed have a bushing, a rather nicely designed steel bushing which when properly maintained with grease provides every bit as much smooth and even more long lasting function as the hideous self-destructing plastic bushing that replaced it.

Can't move the shifter? No amount of original shift rod bracket/bushing deterioration short of being subjected to severe corrosion conditions along with several years of neglect i.e. submerged in salt water would render the shift rod unmoveable. I would be gobsmacked to learn otherwise. Unless some youthful goblin has been mucking around with the shifter and messed something up a frozen shifter problem should point to a problem inside the transmission.

For anyone out there that wants to keep your original shift rod metal bracket/bushing alive, please just remove your shifter and push a little grease back there. If you do that it will last longer than 90 percent of all the rest of the metal on your car.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 57 With transaxle stuck in gear. Reply with quote

You are incorrect, there is no bushing. Like materials rubbing together doesnt qualify. There is a spring but that keeps it from rattling. I've had one almost cut through and start to bind. They usually wear together and you dont notice.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 57 With transaxle stuck in gear. Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Like materials rubbing together doesnt qualify. .

This is why the dinosaurs invented grease. Whether you are working with a plastic bushing which seems to have a tendency to self-destruct over time whether you lube it or not, or a metal sleeve (OK, you win points on word definitions if you want to say a bushing must be a removable/replaceable component), in this application the bushing and sleeve perform the same function and that is to hold a bit of lube to keep things working smoothly and keep it from wearing out.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 57 With transaxle stuck in gear. Reply with quote

This is what the shift rod bracket looks like Wink

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 57 With transaxle stuck in gear. Reply with quote

Hey you said I was wrong. Smile
stksuks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 57 With transaxle stuck in gear. Reply with quote

Thanks Guys I am going to take the transaxle out this weekend and take the nose cone off and see if its a simple or send to someone to fix problem.
JoSeR42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 57 With transaxle stuck in gear. Reply with quote

My 66 beetle used to get stuck in 2nd from time to time. As someone else mentioned in another thread, take out the tranny fill plug. Put a flathead screwdriver into the hole and pivot to slide the guts inside toward the rear of the car. They really do just slide right back, no prying involved. Then your out of gear until the next time it sticks.
If it's in a gear other than second, that's another story I know nothing about.
67 beetle
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 57 With transaxle stuck in gear. Reply with quote

i swear the split case in my race car had large hex plugs on the case you removed to adjust the shift forks...thats why you didnt need a tranny jig to rebuild a split case....so pull the plugs and try to pop the offending rail back into neutral
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 57 With transaxle stuck in gear. Reply with quote

OP, can you please post more pictures of your new ride? Looks great from the back 😃
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 57 With transaxle stuck in gear. Reply with quote

Beautiful Oval! Love to hear the story how you found it. Did you steal it or pay current market value for it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: