Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cant get into 2nd gear
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwKind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: cant get into 2nd gear Reply with quote

2nd gear has always been a little difficult to find but ive always managed to get it into gear. now 2nd gear is almost impossible to find. it is so bad that I drove back from the mountains using just 1st, 2nd and 4th..

i dont think its the tranny as there is no grinding and once it is in 2nd gear its fine.

shift linkage needing adjustment maybe? any other ideas or suggestions?

at the moment i dont have my bentley so im hoping this is an easy fix.

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
larrytrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Readjusted my linkage as noted in a hard shifting previous thread.
open clamp and rotate shaft and retighten clamp..takes a few adjustments but remedied first gear difficulties. This may work for you also.
JUST SOLD HER, WESTYLESS!
Good by cruel world!
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My van had a similar issue but one shift it had second gear and then no second gear except occasionally on down shifts. I sent the transmission out to be rebuilt and asked them to replace the second gear shift fork and now its fine although could use some linkage adjustment. sorry its not better news I will say this was on a 1990 Syncro that had over 200,000 possibly close to 300,000 (non working odometer).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: