Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EGT
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: EGT Reply with quote

From another thread, to avoid pollution.

The Noof wrote:
miniman82 wrote:
A.J.Sims wrote:
1300 is not hot?

No, it's not. Full boost mine normally sits at 750*C, idle is around 580~600.

1300 IS hot,bro. Aluminum turns into silver paint at about 1420F. How close do you want to get? Lets assume your egt gage is accurate?

No offense bro, but you need to do some reading on this subject. This is not the only reference I've read, just an example.

http://sdsefi.com/techegt.htm

I don't claim to be an expert by any means, but I do speak from personal experience. Yes my 7 channel datalogger is accurate. 1300*F is not very hot, and for those of you worried about melting heads it takes SUSTAINED temps above aluminum's melting point of 1220*F. Keep in mind a cylinder head is cooled by air, and the exhaust is not going through the port all the times- it comes through in pulses, so it takes much more heat in the port to get the metal up to it's melting point. I don't know exactly how much, so I won't speculate. Suffice it to say though that I see 1300*F all the time, and my exhaust ports, valves and guides still look new after 2 years of beating on it. I don't have cut down guides, they are full stock length. No melting evident.

Let's have a discussion. I have hard data to provide from my logger if anyone wants to see it.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Noof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mini, and seen the results of high SUSTAINED egts over 1400.The pistons can, and do melt.
Our first adventures on our SB chev/nitrous race car engine was where we discovered it.We data logged every pass, and were doing well untill we had a hardware failure(fuel solenoid).It was a big shot,about 300 hp.The a/f went very lean @ 20:1,egt topped at 1433,and melted 3 pistons before it could be shut down in a 9 second pass.Thats all the research I need to do.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detonation is what melted your pistons not EGT, Noof. That's totally different. It's possiblt to crack pistons via detonation on N/A engines without even trying, and the EGT's can still be low as you've noted. Your EGT of 1433 was still not all that high, the guys at my machine shop who bracket race 3 stage systems tell me they see well into the 1600*F range all the time. It takes a whole lot of EGT to melt heads without detonation doing any work as well, especially on a waterpumper.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High EGT's cause high Exhaust valve and seat temperatures which cause detonation and melted pistons. The heads wont melt. Just crack especially between seats and sparkplug.
Most diesel engines start to fall apart after 1350 and that is with piston squirters and water cooling of the exhaust valve.

Personally I think it is too hot and 1200 is more like it. But racing is racing and you do what it takes to win. Durability has little to do with it as long as you finish.
The Noof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:
Detonation is what melted your pistons not EGT, Noof. That's totally different. It's possiblt to crack pistons via detonation on N/A engines without even trying, and the EGT's can still be low as you've noted. Your EGT of 1433 was still not all that high, the guys at my machine shop who bracket race 3 stage systems tell me they see well into the 1600*F range all the time. It takes a whole lot of EGT to melt heads without detonation doing any work as well, especially on a waterpumper.

Dear Mini...it was NEVER discussed the CAUSE of the high egt:it was only stated that high egt(over 1400) is a killer.I know full well that lean a/f killed it.Geezus.Please don't encourage people to run the gauntlet.Whatever YOU get away with is yours to brag about.
kielbasa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:
Detonation is what melted your pistons

if im not mistaken...

Pinging = Melted pistons
Detonation = Looks like you took a hammer to them
Jeff's VW Speed and Fab
4inbore.com
Kielbasa Industries
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even sure what to call it anymore. Rolling Eyes

I must have heard at least 13 different names for so far, but they all describe the same phenomenon. Preignition, detonation, ping, knock, ect. It's all destructive, regardless of the name you give it. I always use the word detonation, to avoid confusion. Detonation doesn't always cause the same thing to happen, either. Sometimes it will melt a piston under low loads, other times it will happen incessently to where you can hear it but nothing melts and the ring lock up instead. But thing to do: stay away from it. Wink

Jimmy: diesel engines are nothing like gasoline, so the EGT numbers are useless by comparison. The only thing they share is being 4 stroke, and having intake and exhaust valves. Not trying to rub you the wrong way, but you know it's true. And for the record, I don't race this car- it's one of my DD's.

The Noof wrote:
it was NEVER discussed the CAUSE of the high egt:it was only stated that high egt(over 1400) is a killer.

I know, but in your example detonation via lean mixture was clearly the cause of the engine failure, not high EGT. EGT peaks at stoich, it goes down on either side of that. So your observed EGT would have been much higher had the mixture been richer than 20:1.

I happen to think my engine is a pretty conservative one, I don't know why you guys are so phobic about EGT. I'll make a graph of my engine running later on tonight, so you guys can see exactly what I'm talking about. You'll see that there really isn't too much difference between idle and full throttle EGT. Propor timing control has EVERYTHING to do with this.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
The Noof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and I will take your instrumentation with a HUGE grain of salt.
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was that diesel engines are designed for high EGT's Much more durably constructed than gasoline engines.
If you use steel exhaust valves they will soon reach their maximum operating temperature. The valve which has an initial tensil strength of 60,000 psi looses half of its strength by 1100 degrees and 80% by 1400.
You would need to use titanium exhaust valves for any life expectancy at those temps.

Since you are still a Squid you might have access to NAVAIR manuals. There is a very good section in the AD-1 (Skyraider) R-3350 engine that has a lot of testing of the hows and whys of EGT's effect of cylinder head parts and materials.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:
You'll see that there really isn't too much difference between idle and full throttle EGT.

So your saying your EGT's are the same or near same at idle and at full load? I'll call BS on this one, or Noof is right, your data logger is lying to you.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
The Noof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
miniman82 wrote:
You'll see that there really isn't too much difference between idle and full throttle EGT.

So your saying your EGT's are the same or near same at idle and at full load? I'll call BS on this one, or Noof is right, your data logger is lying to you.

How the hell can a properly tuned engine have an egt that close from idle to full load???I say it's impossible.My no load egt is about 1000F:My full load egt is about 1280.A/F is perfect.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, it would seem to me, melting is melting. High temperatures. Detonation causes a different kind of damage. Cracked cylinder, broken ring land, etc. Also, way before aluminum melts, it gets soft. The steel seat starts to sink, etc. Bottom line=excessive heat is a killer.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Noof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
Also, it would seem to me, melting is melting. High temperatures. Detonation causes a different kind of damage. Cracked cylinder, broken ring land, etc. Also, way before aluminum melts, it gets soft. The steel seat starts to sink, etc. Bottom line=heat is a killer.

Agreed...I just don't see the need to encourage people to push the envelope.
Some of us are asking our engines to make 4 times the original HP, without REALLY changing the design enough to accomodate it.I think we press our luck more than enough...
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously based on your compression you are choosing the correct fuel. If however you run too high an octane for your engine it may not hurt it but it will slow the burn and extend it out into the exhaust stack, raising EGT. That is one of the reasons you see flames from methanol fueled engines. The burn is so slow that with the short stacks it extends out into the open air. There the unburned fuel has extra oxygen to burn with as well. I don't want to suggest a lower octane because detonation could be fatal to the engine, however if you are running the 110 av gas on the street, and you have stock compression you might consider 91 - 93 octane.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Noof wrote:
Vee Dub Nut wrote:
miniman82 wrote:

How the hell can a properly tuned engine have an egt that close from idle to full load???I say it's impossible.My no load egt is about 1000F:My full load egt is about 1280.A/F is perfect.

That's the difference I was talking about, it's only at most a few hundred degrees. That's pretty close, considering what we're both doing with our engines wouldn't you say? Hang on, I'm going to get a datalog...

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have Gb's of data.. I gathered 2Bg on my 2006 cross country trip, EGT was logged the entire time on all 4 cylinders. I tune by EGT and have been for years.

EGT thats measured at anything less than WOT isn't very indicative of anything and at part throttle EGT will always be higher. This part throttle EGT isn't going to harm the engine at all because the engine is hardly under a load at all. I have been cruising at 16:1 and 1500F EGT in my 912E for 155K miles, it only has 6% leak down hot and still makes as much power as it did when the engine was new 8 years ago.

You guys with Turbo engines can't stay on the throttle long enough at once to see the effects of high EGT very well, because the engine is so powerful and the car is so light... You'll kill yourself first. This is why boosted Beetles fair well in longevity.

With moderate CR and/or boost you can get away with higher EGT for much longer than high CR / high boost. As the CR elevates the quicker the EGT will do things to the engine that it doesn't like.

I have found WOT EGT sweet spots to be around 1275F, anything higher than that and the valve job is compromised fairly quickly, I have wiped out valve jobs in two pulls on a high CR engine when I missed the tune...
I see EGT impact valve seats and exhaust valves more than anything else, different head castings can deal with elevated EGT better than others, the same goes for different valve seat materials.

Lots of things impact EGT, but the engine's combo is the biggest.

For one to fully understand how EGT impacts an engine you'll need to force a failure under data logging to see what happens when things go south.. It takes a crazy bastard like me to do that.

Miniman, what DL system do you use?? I have used a race Technology DL-1 and my current set up is a Race Technology DL-2 expanded to 24 channels with AEM thermocouple amplifiers and I monitor the data real time with Race Technology DASH 2.
where are your EGT probes attached to the exhaust system? What sensors do you use?
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
koolkarmakombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:
I'm not even sure what to call it anymore. Rolling Eyes

I must have heard at least 13 different names for so far, but they all describe the same phenomenon. Preignition, detonation, ping, knock, ect. It's all destructive, regardless of the name you give it. I always use the word detonation, to avoid confusion. .

Pre-ignition and detonation are quite different:

http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Articles/Engine/Detonation/Page_2.php
The Noof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake: I won't question your knowledge, or authority, but i HAVE to question your findings:how can you have a SUSTAINED egt well past the past the melting point of the best aluminum alloys?
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Noof wrote:
Jake: I won't question your knowledge, or authority, but i HAVE to question your findings:how can you have a SUSTAINED egt well past the past the melting point of the best aluminum alloys?

Because it's EGT.. Not head temp! EGt is not directly related to the temperature of the exhaust port in my experience.

EGT is highest a few inches from the exhaust valve. Measure the temperature of an exhaust port and then throw 3 EGT sensors in the stream within 8" of the exhaust valve and what you'll see will explain a lot.

Most importantly it'll explain the proper placement of the sensor on a particular engine/ exhaust system.

Note that those high EGTs that I posted were at CRUISE speeds, as soon as I hit a hill or floor the throttle EGT goes to 1250F, AFR to 13:1
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Noof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
The Noof wrote:

Because it's EGT.. Not head temp! EGt is not directly related to the temperature of the exhaust port in my experience.

EGT is highest a few inches from the exhaust valve. Measure the temperature of an exhaust port and then throw 3 EGT sensors in the stream within 8" of the exhaust valve and what you'll see will explain a lot.

Most importantly it'll explain the proper placement of the sensor on a particular engine/ exhaust system.
I'm NOT confusing head temp for egt, or thier relationship.Can combustion process temperature be less than egt measured at the exhaust port winf so, how?
dow?I
Note that those high EGTs that I posted were at CRUISE speeds, as soon as I hit a hill or floor the throttle EGT goes to 1250F, AFR to 13:1

I'm NOT confusing head temp for egt, or thier relationship.Can combustion process temperature be less than egt measured at the exhaust port winf so, how?
I can understand how your engine can survive MOMENTARY lapses of reason, but not cruising egt's of over 1500.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: