Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tie rods
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusting Hulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:04 am    Post subject: Tie rods Reply with quote

I am looking to replace the short tie rod on a 54 LHD beam.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Has anybody repaired these in any way or found an alternative that looks the same rather than using a later style?
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Tie rods Reply with quote

I have done this on a similar German Ford tierod (discontinued). you need to cut open the pressed part at 180° and peel them slightly open with a chisel, until you can remove the old rippled balljoint. then I brought it back to the og cylindrical shape and put 2 spot welds on the open slot ends.
Then I cut new threads inside according to the new tie rod end. clean off the lube and assemble with thread lock to correct length (take thorough measurement of length and degreeing before disassembly). Only then I clean the slots and fill weld the slots solid. I do not really weld the tubing to the threaded tie rod end, but just try to hot weld the tubing.the welds will shrink and further fasten the new tie rod end.
In addition you can grind grooves as seen in the pic, where you hammer the tubing down into for even further strength.

Working on steering parts is always delicate, but I believe there is 300% saftey in my procedure. Driven it over 10k miles, and I do hard cornering. all well. Very Happy
Once painted, nearly undetectable. Good Luck !

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
Rusting Hulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Tie rods Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Guenter... That is what i was thinking of doing if i can't find an easier way. Good to see the removed tie rod end to see what it looks like... But i would still have to use the open style tie rod ends with separate rubber and grease nipple to look correct! So need to find a source.
Thank you!
Simon
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tie rods Reply with quote

Simon, I thought you were going to use the one pictured in the photo.
Some time ago there were several NOS tie rod ends available in the TS classifieds. in keeping with the og looks you could put a thin walled tubing sleeve over the remaining threads. to achieve the shouldered look of the pressed rod end.

G.

Rusting Hulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tie rods Reply with quote

Good idea...no that end is for the other side. I will check out the classifieds as i need a few new ends. Hopefully a new or good short rod may turn up. Thanks for your help!
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tie rods Reply with quote

I’ve cut away the circlip groove and run the early style seals - and I have drilled and tapped the later ends for grease fittings. They don’t look 100% but look close to most. Obviously not as good as NOS but it’s an option.
Rusting Hulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tie rods Reply with quote

Thanks Greg, that may work...The things we do to get these things looking right Rolling Eyes
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tie rods Reply with quote

That's the reason why I used a modern tie rod end on the Ford tie rod above. €25 for the new end, compared to €200 for a refurbished oem unit. Very Happy Not so concerned about the looks but function, as it's my daily.

good ideas from campingbox. old style rubber seals readily available from suppliers.
Simon I checked the classifieds and there are at least 4 early BD tie rod ends available at the moment.

Rusting Hulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tie rods Reply with quote

Thanks, have been in touch with one of the sellers... I have a couple of Bay window tie rod ends so may give it a try.

I got some of the old style seals from Martin Kricke in Germany, excellent quality.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2420358
Lazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Tie rods Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a few NOS tie rod ends if you are still looking for some, and maybe even a complete short bar but I need to check next time i go to my storage unit.

(I also have a complete set of 3 NOS bars that i'd like to keep as spares but can trade for some parts I need if you have a 29 numbered locking cargo door lock, floor mats, beauty rings, or sunroof mecanism)

PM me if interested in tie rods or a trade for the set of 3 bars Wink

Cheers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: