Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rooftop Tents
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Rooftop Tents Reply with quote

After seeing a rooftop tent idea in another thread, I've really started liking the idea.

My wife and I love sleeping inside the bus, but a rooftop tent plus a rear hatch tent would open up lots more room and give us more options. We would also be able to take more people with us on trips.

These are the options we are thinking of so far:

DIY tent using two Westy tops

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AutoHome Columbus Variant

AutoHome Maggiolina

We would add a roof rack to support the tent.

All have their disadvantages: the DIY would be hard to source parts for, and the other two are ungodly expensive, but could possibly be found used.

Anyhow, what do you guys think? Are there any other DIY suggestions you may have?

Would be great to hear what you come up with

- Joe
Coal64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of doing this but those tents expensive. post what happens when ur done I don't know were the pictures are but some one has one of the roof tents on his transporter. real cool looking.
Bajatacoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search this forum for more info on RTTs:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Lots of guys on that forum use them on their 4wds. Other than getting that much weight up there it shouldn't be a real problem. VW dealers actually sold several models of RTTs over the years; I've seen at least two different types for bugs.

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?
Hunter S Thompson
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bajatacoma wrote:
Search this forum for more info on RTTs:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Lots of guys on that forum use them on their 4wds. Other than getting that much weight up there it shouldn't be a real problem. VW dealers actually sold several models of RTTs over the years; I've seen at least two different types for bugs.

That's the other con - some of those tents are over 100 pounds!

But I really want one! Very Happy

Would be cool to find one of the bug tents. Searched, but none for sale.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just get a westy or other camper interior to put in your bus? Or sell your bus and buy a camper bus. Those rooftop tents look like a lot of trouble for a less comfortable camping experience. You could also just get a regular ground tent.
Rusty O'Toole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rooftop tent is one of those things that looks clever but....

Have you considered a tent that attaches to the side of your bus? Or even a completely separate tent?

The ultimate would be to tow a tent trailer behind your bus.
pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah joe. buy a westy. you know you want one.
aliennetwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is the one on here who has the trailer that is made out of 2 bus rears?

Desertbusman wrote:
So if you carry a spare starter it will be some other part you don't carry that will fail. Just tow a spare bus.
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIOMX,

I've been toying with a similar idea for over a year now . . .

I built a custom roof rack that is 4' x 4' and will take as much weight as I can put on it. Been thinking about building an "upper room" which would be 4' square and maybe 5" high when closed. When needed, it would mount on the rack and add very little to the "travel profile" of the bus. When you get where you're going, this thing would fold out and become a 4' x 8' space with tent roof & sides.

Basically, if you cut a sheet of plywood in half and then hinge the two pcs together, you get the idea. The hinge would be toward the front of the bus, so when you open it up, the one 4x4 pc lays front over the roof of the bus, while the other half is still on the roof rack. Ya with me?!? The front half could be supported with a crosspiece contoured to match the roof at that location.

The tent would be attached to the two pcs so that as you unfold them, the tent opens up using perhaps 3 arches or support bows made from 1/2" EMT conduit or similar. A door or windows could be made wherever practical.

Anyhow, I think a 4' x 8' space with almost 4' of headroom inside would be very usable. This idea could be adapted for different roof rack designs or sizes that bus owners may already have installed.

I believe I could build a working demo for under $30. Anyone see some potential here, or is this another one of those ideas best left on paper???

-Klauss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those roofys should really enhance the aero dynamics. What happened to sleeping in a tent on the ground?
enjoispammy8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who needs a tent?

Desertbusman wrote:
Is there a message here? Enjoy Spammy Ate

EZ Gruv wrote:
Way to fuck up some little kids riding in the car next to you.

hazetguy wrote:
you need to be doing better drugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude! Rooftop tents are what lame cars get to try to look and feel like a Westy! Why imitate the imitators! Very Happy

In all seriousness, headroom is the best thing about a poptop; it also is what makes the bus feel most spacious. I'm going on 120 consecutive days sleeping in my westy (with my wife), and it still feels like a little palace! We use the poptop as a luggage storage, and sleep on the bed downstairs...

Get a proper poptop, convert to a camper, AND use a rear/side tent if you need it. But I doubt you will unless you bring kids.

1977 2.0 FI Westy
2011 1200cc Yamaha Super Tenere
1976 Feet (they work surprisingly well)
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaussinator wrote:
RIOMX,

I've been toying with a similar idea for over a year now . . .

I built a custom roof rack that is 4' x 4' and will take as much weight as I can put on it. Been thinking about building an "upper room" which would be 4' square and maybe 5" high when closed. When needed, it would mount on the rack and add very little to the "travel profile" of the bus. When you get where you're going, this thing would fold out and become a 4' x 8' space with tent roof & sides.

Basically, if you cut a sheet of plywood in half and then hinge the two pcs together, you get the idea. The hinge would be toward the front of the bus, so when you open it up, the one 4x4 pc lays front over the roof of the bus, while the other half is still on the roof rack. Ya with me?!? The front half could be supported with a crosspiece contoured to match the roof at that location.

The tent would be attached to the two pcs so that as you unfold them, the tent opens up using perhaps 3 arches or support bows made from 1/2" EMT conduit or similar. A door or windows could be made wherever practical.

Anyhow, I think a 4' x 8' space with almost 4' of headroom inside would be very usable. This idea could be adapted for different roof rack designs or sizes that bus owners may already have installed.

I believe I could build a working demo for under $30. Anyone see some potential here, or is this another one of those ideas best left on paper???

-Klauss

I'm having trouble visualizing it - you should post a mockup drawing so we can get a better idea Smile

If I like it and I can help you get something going, then I'll definitely be interested in getting one.

Last edited by RIOMX on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the work he has in his bus he's probably not about to trade off for another one.
Do those transporter seat backs fold down at all? If they came down below the level of the rear engine hump you could extend that level forward with some plywood and a couple legs to support the front. And cut the plywood in half so that the two pieces can lay on top of each other in the back. A big cushy air-mattress and a little 12V inflator work great. No need for big bulky foam cushions.

And like Klauss says you could easily do a roof top arrangement. Actually, I'd probably get a nice roof rack and with a piece of ply on it but also some more ply hinged flop-out sections to just get a nice big flat platform. Maybe 6 or 7 feet square. Maybe a couple simple braces on each of the flip out sides running down to maybe the jack sockets or the rain gutters. And then pitch a nice backpacking or camping tent on the platform. Pre positioned holes or hooks for the tent attachment. Maybe even combine a ladder with one of the supports. And like I did with my rear extended sleeper you could use some nice aluminum structural pieces to tie together and strengthen your platform. A lot of strength in some of the structural shapes without needing the weight.

Last edited by Desertbusman on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuco wrote:
Why not just get a westy or other camper interior to put in your bus? Or sell your bus and buy a camper bus. Those rooftop tents look like a lot of trouble for a less comfortable camping experience. You could also just get a regular ground tent.

Already did the late westy camper interior. And I don't think it'd make sense to go through the trouble of selling my bus, probably taking a loss, and starting all over from scratch with a Westy that is probably going to be ratty and full of problems from years of abuse by previous owners.

My transporter, while crippled with a Type 1 motor, is solid and nearly rust-free. It's the most intact VW I've ever owned and puts all of my past 3 Beetles to shame.

Anyway, not sure what makes rooftop tents a less comfortable experience. It's the same as sleeping in the upper bed of a Westy camper.

Also, we already have a regular ground tent...don't need another one. The whole reason I am thinking of this is because we love our bus as it is, but we don't want to cut any holes or buy a Westy. We just want options when we go camping, and be able to make additional room for friends/family.
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ned wrote:
All those roofys should really enhance the aero dynamics. What happened to sleeping in a tent on the ground?

We live in Colorado. We're very familiar with sleeping on the ground Smile

Done plenty enough of it and will get our fair share on backpacking trips. When car-camping with a bus, there's no need to sleep on the ground.

Last edited by RIOMX on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
With the work he has in his bus he's probably not about to trade off for another one.
Do those transporter seat backs fold down at all? If they came down below the level of the rear engine hump you could extend that level forward with some plywood and a couple legs to support the front. And cut the plywood in half so that the two pieces can lay on top of each other in the back. A big cushy air-mattress and a little 12V inflator work great. No need for big bulky foam cushions.

And like Klauss says you could easily do a roof top arrangement. Actually, I'd probably get a nice roof rack and with a piece of ply on it but also some more ply hinged flop-out sections to just get a nice big flat platform. Maybe 6 or 7 feet square. Maybe a couple simple braces on each of the flip out sides running down to maybe the jack sockets or the rain gutters. And then pitch a nice backpacking or camping tent on the platform. Pre positioned holes or hooks for the tent attachment. Maybe even combine a ladder with one of the supports. And like I did with my rear extended sleeper you could use some nice aluminum structural pieces to tie together and strengthen your platform. A lot of strength in some of the structural shapes without needing the weight.

I'm kind of resigning to the idea of a roof-rack and platform for now. The cost of those rooftop tents is way too much when I have a future engine rebuild as a priority.

Your rear sleeper has inspired us to make one of our own, and we'll be hitting up a local army surplus sometime soon to try and piece materials together.

I think with a platform up top and a rear tent sleeper, we'll have plenty of room to keep enjoying our transporter...

...but I'm not giving up on the idea of a rooftop tent just yet. It will just have to wait until after I get a new engine Smile
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traveling Writer wrote:
Dude! Rooftop tents are what lame cars get to try to look and feel like a Westy! Why imitate the imitators! Very Happy

In all seriousness, headroom is the best thing about a poptop; it also is what makes the bus feel most spacious. I'm going on 120 consecutive days sleeping in my westy (with my wife), and it still feels like a little palace! We use the poptop as a luggage storage, and sleep on the bed downstairs...

Get a proper poptop, convert to a camper, AND use a rear/side tent if you need it. But I doubt you will unless you bring kids.

Planning on having kids in the next 2 years, so that's another motivation.

We just don't want to cut our hardtop. We really do love it as it is Smile
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pb24ss wrote:
yeah joe. buy a westy. you know you want one.

Nah, not really. Too much trouble and I doubt I'd find something as nice as what I already have, and without rust issues or body damage.
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what they look like on a VW Smile

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: